Not sure if I’m being silly for writing my Inform 6 project in a bunch of files in a Github project, and I’m not sure if anyone else would ever do that. But I was interested to see how Github interpreted sources in a language it’s not officially aware of, and right now the answer is that it has classified my project as 57.6% Objective-C and 42.4% C++. This is probably the most boring thread ever but I’m tired and it seemed like a good idea when I started it.
In fact, it is quite interesting to see how the service’s parser (compiler-thingy) will presume it’s like Objective-C/C++. I think in this case Github has made a pretty good guess. Have you tried with a project written in Inform 7?
Inform 7 source doesn’t show up in the language statistics. It probably detects it as non-code.
Three of my Inform6 games are on Github. Uninvited shows up as Objective C. Robotfindskitten shows up as Perl, probably because of a helper script written in Perl. Github doesn’t even guess for Shadowgate. The Inform6 Unix package shows up as Objective C.
I’ve filed a pull request to add I7 to the file extension list. (.ni, .i7x)
I didn’t add I6, because the common header extension is .h, and it’s probably not worth even a small risk of confusing C projects. I guess we could add .inf though.
Awesome, let’s hope it get implemented
But that’s also the standard extension for a Windows configuration file. I don’t imagine they get a lot of those on Github, but it’s probably more common in large projects than I6.
For GitHub to accept a new language to recognize, it needs to be given a lexer for the language so it can do syntax highlighting. I have been working on writing lexers for Inform: github.com/dscorbett/pygments.r … d.py#L3501. Comments are welcome.
They are not quite done, but I thought I should make them public since the topic came up. When I do finish, I will submit the new lexers to Pygments. It might be a few months before GitHub gets the changes.