Getting / keeping transcripts

Sorry… newbie question… I’ve been playing through some games recently - both online and with Lectrote (which is wonderful!) - the transcript seems to refresh every so often.

Can you get / keep the whole of your transcript from a game session on this / other interpreters?

I’d imagine that would be useful for beta-testing / looking back over your play for clues etc.

Thanks a lot,

M

1 Like

If you type “SCRIPT” or “TRANSCRIPT”, the game will start saving the transcript to a text file.

3 Likes

This would have been super helpful to know 3 days ago, lol. Well, I know now. Thanks for sharing!

Perfect - thought it would be something like that - thanks!

M

1 Like

Oh - and thanks so much for Lectrote - love the Slate grey theme for evening adventuring!

M

2 Likes

I currently try to make a transcript when testing my walkthroughs, but for some games, SCRIPT or TRANSCRIPT isn’t available for various reasons. For example, PunyInform games don’t support it. I’m not sure if Quest games support it or not. The game “Edge of the Cliff” mocked my attempt to make a transcript. Sometimes you can use ALT-A to select the entire page and cut-and-paste to a text file, but if the screen ever refreshes, you can lose your chance to do that.

3 Likes

If you are writing in Inform 7, you can also set up your game to automatically start a transcript. (This may be possible in other authoring systems, too–I’m not sure.)

Chapter - Not for Release

When play begins:
	try switching the story transcript on.
3 Likes

Just a note that PunyInform does support transcript, but it’s optional. If the author has compiled the game with the “extended meta verbs” option enabled, it’s available. They may have skipped it in order to make the story file smaller, or they just haven’t thought of enabling it.

1 Like