Gargoyle on HiDPI OSX Retina Display

Gargoyle doesn’t look so good on HiDPI OSX Retina Display. code.google.com/p/garglk/issues/detail?id=192

I will accept hardware donations so I can improve the support. :slight_smile:

A couple things to try:

• Set lcd to 0 in garglk.ini
  • Set gamma to one of the other suggested values, like 0.7 or 1.4

I was concerned with this possibility when I read about the way OS X does the scaling for Retina displays. It’s possible that a more elaborate approach is needed; I believe Chrome had similar problems for similar reasons - it uses skia for to render text instead of relying on the platform.

Adjusting those settings doesn’t seem to help.

Apple provides documentation for testing HiDPI on conventional screens, so hopefully a hardware donation won’t be required in this case. :wink:

developer.apple.com/library/mac … sting.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40012302-CH6-SW1

Gargoyle uses SDL, right? It looks like HiDPI support for SDL is an area of active research. forums.libsdl.org/viewtopic.php?t=8326

SDL is only used for sound; Gargoyle draws its own text and graphics.

This looks like it’s going to be a fun one to support. Thanks for the link to Quartz Debug; that can be my fallback plan if the kindness of strangers proves unreliable. :slight_smile:

Hey, has anyone found a way to treat this? Gargoyle is not really useable on Retina MBPs, so I switched back to Zoom for now.