Game Over Screen

If you are requesting technical assistance with Twine, please specify:
Twine Version: 2.3.14
Story Format: Harlowe 3.2.2

I’m new to twine, and currently creating my first game. However I am having a difficult time finding a resource to making a game over screen. I just want a screen where if you make the wrong choice you are taken to a “Death screen” with a description of how they killed you. It’s a horror game with basic choices at different points. Thanks in advance.

I’m not sure if I understood the question correctly, but to simply take the user to a game over screen, just create a link with a choice that leads there:

A giant zombie shuffles towards you!

[[Stand and scream helplessly|GameOver]]

[[Run away!|ContinueStory]]

In the example, the “Stand and scream” link takes you to the “GameOver” passage, when you can write the death description and provide no further links to continue the story. (If you’re keeping the standard Harlowe “back” arrow in your game, the player will still be able to use it to return to the previous passage and make a different choice. Otherwise, you should give the player the option to restart the game from the game over screen, for example by using the restart command: (link: "Restart game")[(restart:)] ).

1 Like

If you want to use a combined GameOver passage with text that varies, you can also set a variable like $deathmsg in the link that takes them there, say set $deathmsg to “The giant zombie shuffled you to death!” and then display the contents of $deathmsg on the game over screen so it will be individualized to how they got there.

1 Like