Four-digit years

When I’m looking at old threads or long threads, I sometimes get confused by the way years are listed.

My brain has trouble quickly distinguishing between:

Nov 15 (which was a few weeks ago)

and

Nov '15 (which was seven years ago)

I notice that on the scrollbar on the right, four-digit years are used. I know it’s kind of presumptuous to make this request, but would it be possible to always use four-digit years next to each post?

I’m pretty sure my brain could handle the difference between “Nov 15” and “Nov 2015” more easily.

(I’m also willing to buy a new brain, if anyone can recommend a good brand.)

22 Likes

I have had this issue too, so rather than blame my brain – which is surely faultless in the eyes of its creator – I will likewise support making this change if it’s possible.

12 Likes

I am very happy to know I’m not the only one.

5 Likes

I frequently find it confusing too. I can blame my brain in part - I have a neurological disease causing loads of problems! But I think it’s also not a great design choice for clarity for the users. If it could be tweaked I’d be very grateful too.

6 Likes

It would be extra nice to have 4 digit-years for the Authoring part too! (some answer might be deprecated since they were posted)

4 Likes

I frequent several forums (fora?) that use this system. They all have the same message date format. :frowning:

1 Like

I’ve changed the format to use full years. But as this involves changing individual text formatting options it’s possible another date format will be added in the future that won’t have the full year.

You may have to refresh your browser for it to take effect.

18 Likes

Thank you!

3 Likes

Ooh, that’s much better. Now if only we could convince Americans to put the day and month in the correct order, then we wouldn’t have had this issue in the first place.

Day month year makes sense (small medium large), as does year month day (large medium small), but month day year (medium small large) is plain idiotic. I’ll bet it was determined by a committee.

9 Likes

Think we need to get the International Organization for Standardization (=ISO) on the case, Garry.

5 Likes

There is actually a standard on time and date formats and, from memory, there is no month day year format.

3 Likes

Complete agreement, of course. While we’re at it, can we get everyone to adopt the plainly logical system where million = 10^6, billion = 10^12, trillion = 10^18, and so on, instead of the plainly illogical system the USA at some point came up with?

5 Likes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8601 if anyone is interested.

It is actually widely used in Sweden, but nowhere else as far as I know.

3 Likes

Is there a metric time option for the forum? :wink:

5 Likes

screenshot of the Suspend user button

8 Likes

Touché.

3 Likes

Y’all are just playing. Bring back the long cubit or GTFO.

3 Likes

Hey, if we’re discussing weird time formats, I want an option for US Military / NATO format :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

It’s currently 051600Adec22.

Y’know, because that’s definitely the order these values belong in.

3 Likes

2 Likes

A metric clock I photographed at Musée des Arts et Métiers in Paris.

5 Likes