First IF project

I have (mostly) completed my first IF project written in Twine, Harlowe and tried to upload the HTML file here, only to get a “File type not supported” error message. How best to proceed ?

4 Likes

There is some advice on hosting in this thread. I think Itch.io is the best option for hosting right now.

If you’re not entirely finished and just mean to upload something so others can take a look, you can put any file in a ZIP file before uploading it to this forum. There are probably size limits though.

3 Likes

thanks. I have programmed games before but this is my first IF project written in an IF language (Twine, Harlowe). I have some cosmetic and line spacing to modify but would like to get some feedback on this. It is small stand-alone game, that will probably also be part of a larger future project. Thanks for constructive criticism.

Alchemy 1700

Alchemy 1700 (8).zip (141.9 KB)

3 Likes

I’m trying it now. Interesting…I’m getting the impression I have to combine the colors in some way but not sure which ones exactly yet.

One thing that would be useful is a constant status bar that shows the state of each button, but I am not sure how to do that in Harlowe.

2 Likes

I was thinking about that too, which would make it easier.

1 Like

Can you provide a hint for which colors I’m going for? You can use the spoiler tag like this

[spoiler]Hidden sentence[/spoiler]

1 Like

What colors to use is part of the problem , which has a very common sense answer. Hint

Total colors used, will be half or less.

1 Like

Hmm… I have tried combinations of yellow, orange, brown, and red without success. Am I on the right track?

1 Like

Yes

1 Like

Alchemy 1700, where escaping from the dungeon is the easy part, is now available on itch.io.

3 Likes

If you upload the ZIP file rather than the HTML file to Itch io, there should be an option that allows it to be played in browser…optional of course

1 Like

That works with just an html file as well. (And if it’s a zip, it needs to contain a file called index.html.)

2 Likes

I already see much more efficient ways to encode this game by using arrays, rather than individual passages, variables, etc. I also have learned to space lines better, with an exception:

a line like (if: $turns is 0)[ (go-to: “You Lose”)] prints a blank line on the screen.

Twine 2.6.2, Harlowe 3.3.5.

If I have 4 similar lines in a row, I display 4 (unwanted) blank lines.
What is the fix ?