Faeries of Haelstowne; Hint request

Thanks so much for the transcript, I really appreciate it, I’ll see if I can [fancy] ferret out a solution. The hint and stuck commands are good for orientation through the game but unfortunately not great at directing the moment to moment finicky interactions. I did make the safelight.

1 Like

Ah, that’s too bad – they weren’t there when I was playing the game, so instead of HINT, I had DIRECT MESSAGE THE AUTHOR which had a bit of lag but was very good at explaining the finicky interactions!

Hopefully you didn’t run into a bug and need to restart, but if you do, perhaps it’s helpful to know this is relatively early so you won’t need to replay too much, percentage-wise, relative to the amount of new stuff later on?

1 Like

Okay, thank you so much for the transcripts, I’ve fixed it! Somehow I got a false positive when I went to HANG FILM, the description changed and everything, but the film ended up in my bucket? I took it out again and hung it again and was able to trigger the prompt you cite, then I could get Salter to respond. I think it may be because I never put the fixer back into the flask? I have no idea. Thanks again!

2 Likes

Wow, no idea what was going on, but glad that worked! Good luck making the prints.

2 Likes

Glad you got over that hump. I’ll have a look at it and see if there is anything amiss with my string-and-sticky tape coding at that point. I don’t think there is, but just to be sure.

Happily, nothing else is as fiddly to do as that precise sequence.

Also, there’s no requirement to read the book or put the fixer back in the flask. It should just work by following the instructions (you can’t proceed at all if you haven’t made the safelight).

2 Likes

In the grove: I’ve got the keg with all the ingredients and I’m trying to cast the spell. I need to make a sign, stir, then recite, repeat, changing the details each time. How do I make the signs? I can’t seem to figure out how to make Arthur make the gestures, and I’m struggling to cast the spell. This is how you’re supposed to end Chapter V (Midsommers Eve Daytime) right? I have the mirror, saved Ash, energized and stored the nail, gotten the twig, etc.

1 Like

Oh, this puzzle! It’s kind of tricky, but I really liked it:

There are two issues here – you need to know how to tell Arthur how to make the signs, and he also needs to know what the signs are. Next paragraph is about the first issue, then the remaining are about the second in increasing spoileriness.

This one’s pretty straightforward – you need to MAKE SIGN OF (blank), with the blanks changing for each step (the spellbook gives you strong hints on what to put there, as will the steps in the next section).

OK, second issue – teaching Arthur the signs. You might think the spellbook provides enough detail, but actually it doesn’t, and you need to find a specific example instructing you for each one.

If you think about who might be interested in instructing others about the signs, that might point you in the right direction.

You can also think about places where you might have seen hands as a decorative motif.

You’ll need to examine a specific item for each of the signs before Arthur will know how to make it. If you’re stuck on any of them, let me know and I can give you more direct pointers – I’ll give you one in the next paragraph, which is the hardest.

One of the paintings in the vicarage will give you the sign of the moon (it’s the one showing a big hand around the moon).

2 Likes

Thanks so much for the hints! I appreciate it.

1 Like

Sign of the moon, sun, eye, and then I think mouth or tongue? Where can I find that one? Ottoline disappears after the bit in the church it seems.

I don’t have my transcript handy so apologies if this is the wrong one, but I think it’s right:

Funny you should mention the church…

Though what you’re looking for isn’t actually in it.

Is the sign a mouth, or something coming out of a mouth?

The sign is the sign of wind.

And answer coming next:

Look at the weather vane on top of the church - but you’ll need to have the binocs to get a close enough look.

1 Like

It sounds like you’re quite close to the end and you’ve got this far more or less unscathed - congratulations. What you’re trying to do isn’t necessary until the next (and final) chapter, though. See STUCK #2. ‘Objectives’ in part 5 which tells you exactly what the trigger is to end the chapter.

I’ll reword the help list to make that more explicit.

2 Likes

Oops, sorry, my eye skipped right over the “Daytime” part of your post – oh well, hopefully the hints will be useful later! Sounds like Christopher’s prompt will actually get you through where you are, though.

2 Likes

Ah, after all that running around, it turns out I was held up on a small detail: You have to X KEG after completing the stew in order to get the flag for having completed it.

2 Likes

Really? That’s news to me. I will double check!

How do you open the window in the recess? Out of desperation, I’ve tried HINT and STUCK and they basically tell me what to do, but I get told that Arthur had had enough of meddling for one day.

1 Like

Hmm, you’re all the way at the top of the ledge, right? Like you’ve dropped the library stairs at the top of the real staircase, gone up, then gone up again? And you haven’t previously opened the window? I don’t believe there’s any additional trick – OPEN WINDOW worked for me, I don’t think with any additional items or steps required – and sounds like you’re getting the message that should occur after you’ve successfully distracted Edna and lifted the keys from the hook in the kitchen. Tagging @ChristopherMerriner in case I’m missing something?

You should be able to do it multiply until Edna disappears into town, after which you don’t want to meddle with it. Are you getting the meddling message the first time you’re trying it? I did an update a couple of days ago, hope I haven’t broken it. Will have a look later as I’m on stage in 15 mins.

1 Like

Hello Garry

I’ve just checked - it all looks fine to me in the uploaded game and the code. You should just be able to go up into the window recess and OPEN WINDOW while Mrs Taplow is still around. If she’s gone into town then the message is Arthur felt that he had had enough of meddling with a difficult window for one day. If you’re getting that message before you have even managed to open the window at all then I can’t for the life of me see how that’s happened. Trust you to come across a bug as soon as you look at it (if it really is a bug).

In answer to @DeusIrae, yes to all those things.

I’m using version 1.0 (according to credits) and 1.0.3 (according to *credits). I was wondering if it might be a bug, but I didn’t want to suggest that if it wasn’t. When I left the kitchen, Mrs Taplow was still there.

I just went back to the kitchen and Mrs Taplow is still there. I have kept a transcript, if that helps, but it’s very, very long. @ChristopherMerriner, do you want me to send it to you? I have noted a couple of other small bugs, mainly spelling errors. I was going to send you those when I finished.

Serves me right for putting a version number in the credits, doesn’t it? I mean honestly, who on earth ever bothers looking at the credits…

Yes, send me the transcript please Garry and I’ll see if I can work out what you’ve done. The transcript can’t be that long, relatively, as the bit you’re trying to do is right at the start of the game and if you can’t do it then you haven’t seen 99% of it. Unless, of course, you’ve been walking around punching all the walls and trying to turn over all the furniture in the tiny part that you have seen (which is definitely what you’ve been doing).

Other than that, download or play the version currently up, start again and do what you’re trying to do and it will work (it does for me!)