Faeries of Haelstowne help

Well, I’m playing Faeries of Haelstowne in what I fear is a rather rushed manner, and I’ve been using hints without compunction. However, I may have glazed over something entirely, because I don’t know how to get water to develop my film. I haven’t had any luck with the bucket and the scullery sink, I can’t get the ewer, and the village pump seems to be “not important.” Anyone? Thanks!

4 Likes

The bucket and the scullery sink should work - have you tried just FILL BUCKET or FILL BUCKET WITH WATER while you’re in there?

2 Likes

I have gone so far as to leave the scullery and drop all of my inventory except the bucket. Then I go to the scullery, and FILL BUCKET, FILL BUCKET WITH WATER, FILL BUCKET FROM SINK all give the message “Arthur decided not to try it. Whatever was in there would not benefit from being wet.” (The bucket is empty as is the rest of my inventory.)
I successfully put the bucket in the sink, but then TURN ON TAP just tells me that he watches the water splash against the sink porcelain, and he had better things to do than fiddle with scullery taps all day.
Elsewhere, FILL X is met with the message “Arthur should try to POUR X INTO Y”, but in the scullery, POUR WATER INTO BUCKET doesn’t work either!
@ChristopherMerriner

2 Likes

Hmm, I checked my transcripts and FILL BUCKET WITH WATER should work. There may be an odd bug here, it seems like, so hopefully Christopher can help you sort it out!

1 Like

Thanks for the help, Mike… at least good to know I’m not completely crazy!

Ha! I put a random object in the bucket (which had been empty all this time), then tried GET ALL FROM BUCKET. After that FILL BUCKET worked!

3 Likes

Well, I’m glad you got it to work! I seem to remember that the bucket uses a counter and something to do with traits to keep track of how full it is, and whether it contains anything that can’t be wetted. It’s all very clunky and jury-rigged under the bonnet, as indeed is the whole game, partly because I’m no sort of programmer and partly because Adventuron, especially in the earlier version that I was using, is really just one vast Heath Robinson machine. A few generations later, Adventuron has developed quite a bit and, I think, is now not very compatible with my original code - so I’m not very confident about being able to fix bugs in any case. Let’s hope you don’t run into anything else show-stopping before you get to the end!

2 Likes

Okay, next roadblock! The hints have kindly informed me that I need ceremonial robes to approach the chapel altar, but robes have I seen none. I think I’ve been through all available hints, and haven’t noted any instructions for where to find them…

2 Likes

Increasingly-spoilery hints, as per usual!

The robes are exactly where you’d think they’d be.

If you were trying to GUARD your ROBES, where would you put them?

They’re in the wardrobe in Peldash’s bedroom.

But wait, they’re not in the wardrobe! Or at least, not obviously so.

Might be worth taking a close look at the thing.

Make sure it’s open when you do so.

Something seems funny about the base, huh? Especially at the corner?

And the solution:

PUSH CORNER

2 Likes

Pssh! I had noticed the special panel the first time I entered that bedroom, but fiddling with the panel hadn’t yielded anything (the wardrobe wasn’t open I guess) and I subsequently forgot all about it. Thanks again for bailing me out!

1 Like

Made it to the end!

1 Like

Ask me how I remembered this puzzle :slight_smile:

Yay, congrats! I really love the endgame, hope you enjoyed it too.

2 Likes

So… how did you remember?
I did quite enjoy the finale!

2 Likes

Well, when I played it, I’d noticed the special panel the first time I entered that bedroom, but fiddling with the panel hadn’t yielded anything because the wardrobe wasn’t open, and I subsequently forgot all about it. :slight_smile:

I think there was a hint that drew my attention to it eventually, but yeah, I was stuck there for a bit too.

1 Like

Were you a tester or a player?

1 Like

I was one of the testers - I remember managing to break the game in a few faintly alarming ways, which always makes me feel like I’ve pulled my weight :slight_smile:

2 Likes