Fabularium transcripts?

While playing a .gblorb game on Fabularium for Android with transcripting on, everything seemed fine; but after checking, the transcript didn’t have my commands, just the responses (and the >). Has anyone noticed that before? Is it known? (Is the developer still around? I could try a bug report on github, but…)

And is there another glulx terp on android? I couldnt see any…

2 Likes

There’s Twisty (you have to download the version from GitHub for Glulx support, apparently). It hasn’t been updated since a long time, though.

(I don’t have an answer for the main question.)

2 Likes

I can confirm the lack of commands in transcripts in Fabularium.

Unfortunately most of the interactive fiction interpreters on Android don’t seem to have updated in a few years. There’s Text Fiction (also not updated for a few years), but it doesn’t do glulx.

There’s ‘incant’, which I don’t think is in the Google Play store or F-Droid, but has apks on GitHub: GitHub - WakeRealityDev/incant: Incant is an experimental interface to a Glulx interpreter and a Z-Machine interpreter for Android

I recall playing with it but deciding Fabularium was better (I don’t remember the reasons now).

Another possibility is installing glulxe in Termux. [In brief, install Termux from F-Droid or Google Play, open Termux, type pkg install glulxe and then glulxe <path/filename of the .gblorg>.]

3 Likes

Thanks! I’ll check out termux! It can create files in the regular Android filesystem, right? (It’s not a VM with its own filesystem that would make it hard to extract the transcript?)

Yes, it can create files in the regular Android filesystem (it piggy-backs on the Linux kernel of the Android OS), [though of course you have to deal with the normal app file sandboxing of Android]. I just tried out running glulxe with a transcript via Termux and it saved out a .txt file with all of the user commands as expected.

1 Like

So, I realize that this issue with fabularium is not only mine.
I will follow your recomendations.
Thanks.

Edit: The version in Google play is outdated (1.4.1), the most recent release is 1.5 and this supports transcripts properly.

And where is this mysterious V1.5 to be found please? Does it have another name in the Play Store?

You can find 1.5 version at fdroid following the link from ifwiki.

https://f-droid.org/repo/io.davidar.fabularium_26.apk

• Jade

OK. Thanks. Unfortunately I won’t load anything from outside the Play store. Do you know why Tim hasn’t updated it there? (I didn’t see his name in the list of contributors for fdroid either)

I do upside down. I almost never install anything from Google play store. I couldn’t contact anyone behind Fabularium project but I have found right now Tim’s email: * Tim Cadogan-Cowper

• Jade

Thanks. I’ll email him and see if he is willing to update the Play Store.

1 Like

I am having problems with transcripts in Fabularium v1.5 and glorb or zblorb files. The issue is the same than before, Fabularium doesn’t save my entered commands. It is odd indeed becouse it works fine when betatesting a game untill author releases a new (4 o 5th) version: Transcripts doesn’t work fine anymore but if loaded a prior version it does fine.

• Jade.
1 Like

One thing to note is that earlier versions of my game were z-machine (zblorb), while later versions are glulx (gblorb) due to the game outgrowing the readable memory limitations of z-machine. I wonder if your transcript issue coincided with the change in format?

1 Like

I think this issue can be this way becouse other gblorb games fail the same way.