Explain Babyface?

So I played this Twine game and now and I have reached the part with the doorknob, where I can’t go any further. I wasn’t sure if that’s the ending or not…but when I refresh the game/reload my browser I just keep going in loops that end with the doorknob.

I could open it in another browser and try again but that does not seem to be intended. Is this the end of the game? Did I reach a bad ending? Is the fact that you can’t restart the game part of the atmosphere?

Edit: I played it again and it ended the same way. I had to restart from the main Itch.io page.

I haven’t played the post-Comp release so can’t say for sure, but I’m pretty sure that’s a bug - the version I played had a definite (very creepy!) ending. Maybe it’s a browser issue?

There was more before it with the party…at this point I don’t mind a spoiler.

Edit: I just saw a playthrough on itch-io. Yeah, that door is supposed to unlock and it never happened for me.

Hmmm, I’ve played through the post-Comp release several times without encountering a bug, but if one is there, I definitely want to track it down. Just out of curiosity, what browser and platform were you playing on?

One thing to try: click more slowly on the “I find myself” phrase that unspools this particular scene. After you’ve clicked it 10 times, a new link should appear saying “The door is unlocked.” And from there you can proceed.

It could be that if you’re clicking too quickly on “I find myself,” and one of those clicks doesn’t register with the system. So maybe the game thinks you’ve clicked 9 times, but the link to the new passage doesn’t appear until after the 10th click.

And bonus Easter Egg: at anytime during the game you can hit 5 on your keyboard and jump to the scene just before the porch (so that you don’t have to replay the whole thing to get there).

Thanks for giving Babyface a shot!

3 Likes

Just uploaded a bug fix to Babyface on Itch that hopefully prevents this unintended dead end from ever happening again!

2 Likes

It could be that if you’re clicking too quickly on “I find myself,” and one of those clicks doesn’t register with the system. So maybe the game thinks you’ve clicked 9 times, but the link to the new passage doesn’t appear until after the 10th click.

In that case it would be a dead end, right? There’s not really any way to continue clicking on the “I find myself” links except for refreshing the page.

It does seem to be a browser issue. I’m on Firefox 94 on Ubuntu 20.04. I just played it on Chrome and got the the end…I still clicked as fast as always but it worked.

Also: congratulations with the fly, I really thought there was one on my monitor!

1 Like

Looks like you replied before I replied…glad you found the issue.