Every turn rules with two or more random 'say' phrases

In a game I am making, I have a location where I want two different types of random statements to be printed–or not–using a ‘if a random chance of 1 in 3 succeeds’ clause with the [one of][at random] format, so that often one sentence, or two sentences, or nothing, is printed. But in the case that two sentences, one from each group, is printed, I want them to have a blank space between them. I found that this can be done if I write two Every turn rules, one for each group–I guess because a rule with a ‘say’ phrase will automatically print a paragraph break–even if the two rules are stated identically…?

Every turn when the location is River Crossing:
if a random chance of 1 in 3 succeeds:
say “[one of]The stream continues rushing under the bridge, making gurgling noises close to the shore.[or]You see a wasp–or was it a mayfly?–dance over the weeds.[or]A brisk wind blows your hair around for a moment.[or]You hear the leaves rustle in the trees nearby.[at random]”.
say “[one of]An eft skitters over the bridge surface.[or]You hear the nearby mining crew whistle a mining tune.[or]A fish hops out of the water, then dives back in.[or]A squirrel picks up a nut and then deftly runs up a tree.[at random]”.

Is there a better way to do this, under one rule, so that if two sentences are printed, a paragraph break divides them??

Thanks.

Whoops, first I used the ‘code’ brackets in copying my code into my posting, but it didn’t come out right. Then I took off the brackets and tried to use spacing to get it right, but that didn’t seem to do anything. How do we write code into our postings here?

Thanks.

1 Like
(Petter Sjölund) #3

Does any of this work?

1 Like
(Hanon Ondricek) #4

The surest way to avoid an auto paragraph break is to defer end-of-sentence punctuation or put a space after it inside the quotes:

River Crossing is a room.

say “[one of]The stream continues rushing under the bridge, making gurgling noises close to the shore. [or]You see a wasp–or was it a mayfly?–dance over the weeds. [or]A brisk wind blows your hair around for a moment. [or]You hear the leaves rustle in the trees nearby. [at random]”;
		say “[one of]An eft skitters over the bridge surface[or]You hear the nearby mining crew whistle a mining tune[or]A fish hops out of the water, then dives back in[or]A squirrel picks up a nut and then deftly runs up a tree[at random].";
River Crossing

>z
Time passes.

You hear the nearby mining crew whistle a mining tune.

>z
Time passes.

The stream continues rushing under the bridge, making gurgling noises close to the shore. An eft skitters over the bridge surface.

>z
Time passes.

A brisk wind blows your hair around for a moment. A squirrel picks up a nut and then deftly runs up a tree.

Reading back, it sounds like you do want a paragraph break - you said “space” but I think you meant line break (carriage return). In this case, I put in a [command clarification break] which sort of works at the expense of an extra line break - which at least seems consistent as you should get the same amount of white-space before the command prompt whether one or both lines fire.

if a random chance of 1 in 2 succeeds:
		say “[one of]The stream continues rushing under the bridge, making gurgling noises close to the shore.[or]You see a wasp–or was it a mayfly?–dance over the weeds.[or]A brisk wind blows your hair around for a moment.[or]You hear the leaves rustle in the trees nearby.[at random][command clarification break]”;
	if a random chance of 1 in 2 succeeds:
		say “[one of]An eft skitters over the bridge surface[or]You hear the nearby mining crew whistle a mining tune[or]A fish hops out of the water, then dives back in[or]A squirrel picks up a nut and then deftly runs up a tree[at random].";
River Crossing

>z
Time passes.

>z
Time passes.

You hear the leaves rustle in the trees nearby.

An eft skitters over the bridge surface.

>z
Time passes.

You see a wasp-or was it a mayfly?-dance over the weeds.

>z
Time passes.

The stream continues rushing under the bridge, making gurgling noises close to the shore.

A squirrel picks up a nut and then deftly runs up a tree.

>z
Time passes.

>z
Time passes.

>z
Time passes.

A brisk wind blows your hair around for a moment.

>z
Time passes.

The stream continues rushing under the bridge, making gurgling noises close to the shore.

A fish hops out of the water, then dives back in.

>z
Time passes.

You hear the nearby mining crew whistle a mining tune.

>z
Time passes.

An eft skitters over the bridge surface.

>z
Time passes.

A squirrel picks up a nut and then deftly runs up a tree.

>z
Time passes.

A brisk wind blows your hair around for a moment.

>z
Time passes.

>
1 Like
(matt w) #5

The most fail-safe way is to paste the code in, highlight it, and then hit the code button above the text box. (It looks like </>.)

If you want to use keyboard only, you can try prefacing everything with four spaces:

There's four spaces before this line.
And this one.

This one too.

But you have to make sure that you put blank lines before and after.
I put four spaces before this line and it didn’t accomplish anything.

(Also in my browser, you can’t type a tab into a text box, so I have no advice for how to do that without pasting code in and then using the </> button.)

(matt w) #6

Also, line break handling is one of the nastier bits of Inform 7. See threads here and here.

1 Like

Sorry, guys, I haven’t had a chance to respond till now. Thanks a lot, I will try your suggestions!

(Chris Conley) #8

If you’re going to be writing tons of these randomized messages per room, especially if they have different conditions for their firing or you only want fewer than a certain number to fire per room per turn, it may be worth creating dedicated rulebooks for them so each message can live in its own rule. The default rule-sorting behavior in I7 usually produces the expected outcome from a rulebook with a big mess of heterogenous rules.

If so, check out Chapter 19.

1 Like

Thanks, Chris, that’s food for thought.