Ectocomp "final thoughts" (SPOILERS within)

Yeah, the month is still young, but I know I’m not alone in having already finished all the entries and submitted my scores. So I thought it would be fun to post my (and read other) final thoughts on the batch of Ectocomp entries.

I figured I’d eschew the need for spoiler tags and just mark the whole thread as a spoiler. Unlike the review thread, this one kind of assumes the discussion is from those who already finished them all and voted – or don’t plan to.

My top five favorites, shuffled to a random order, were:

Headless, Hapless
The Horrible Pyramid
The Argument-Winner’s Ghost
Dead Pavane for a Princess
Faithful Companion

And here’s a bit from the “afterword” I wrote up (the rest of which I’m saving for post-comp):

(Edit) Sorry – just to clarify, this doesn’t have to be a “top 5 games” thread or anything. Just curious about what others took away from the competition. High points? Low points? Spoilerrific game analysis? Surprises? Disappointments? Unfulfilled hopes?

Oh, and something I meant to comment on before. As far as I’m aware, I’m unrelated to Jonathan Snyder of The Cenric Family Curse. We just both happen to have a cool name. I am, however, Adelynn Snyder’s dad, which most here probably saw already.

Ok so my top 5 games are, in no particular order:

Hill of Souls
The Profile
The Tale of the Cursed Eagle
Ice House of Horrors
The Horrible Pyramid

But what I’m more excited to talk about are 5 games (in no particular order) that I am most looking forward to seeing expanded post-comp releases of:
The Argument-Winner’s Ghost
The Voodoo You Do
Jack
Crater Creek
The Profile

Even if you didn’t mean it to be a top 5 list, I’m kind of entertained by putting up my top 5 (also shuffled to a random order).

The Horrible Pyramid
Dead Pavane for a Princess
Boogle
A Slight Problem with Zombies
Jack

Biggest surprise: SO MANY ENTRIES. This was huge for Ectocomp! Really neat seeing everyone go, “Sure, I’ve got three hours available!” and pitch in like this.

General observation: It’s been fascinating reading the reviews. There are several games that I gave up on where other people slugged on through, and because they slugged through, they saw some really cool stuff that I missed. It’s neat hearing about much depth there was in games where I got stuck right away and gave up.

Suggestion for the future: I would love to see WALKTHROUGH implemented in more speedIF games.

I guess the main thing that I took away from this competition was that the allowance for planning before the three hours really showed: a lot of games had clearly had some careful thinking-out beforehand, and were able to do things that would just not have been possible in that time with seat-of-the-pants coding. Moral: yay for planning.

Click here to listen to the song that helped inspire my entry, The Voodoo You Do. I thought this might be the appropriate thread to mention this song for those who may be interested. Great comp, everybody! [emote]:P[/emote]