ECTOCOMP 2023 : Crossing the 9th circle of Hell

Friends of Halloweentober,

ECTOCOMP is back to take you beyond the 9th circle of hell.

The theme is still the same: fear, death, halloween, the day of the dead etc.

And the formula doesn’t change either: two ways to participate:

• Petite Mort: in “speed IF” mode, give yourself 4 hours to create a game (these 4 hours can be spread out as you wish during the month)
  • Grand Guignol: for your masterpiece of eternal gothicity

You can participate in Spanish, French or English on the corresponding pages.

Reach out to @Ruber_Eaglenest and me if you have any questions !

35 Likes

So exciiiiting :partying_face: :ghost:

8 Likes

Last year was pretty fun to make an entry for the Petite Mort.

8 Likes

This year we have a service of archiving the games at IF Archive, regarding recent debate and such.

So, when participants upload the game to the comp, there will be an option to opt out of the archiving process.

We plan to archive the entries at the end of the comp, so they benefit fo the updates (disclaimer: check the rules regarding updates, it is not as easy as it sounds).

18 Likes

WooHoo!

I very much enjoyed last year’'s Jam.

However, I just had major back surgery. I’m not sure I will be up to it. :frowning:

14 Likes

Hope that your recovery goes smoothly! And that you can at least enjoy the games when they come out.

6 Likes

Thanks Sophia,

EctoComp is one of the best and most enjoyable jams we have yearly. The time constraint is difficult for me. I will sure enjoy the games in any event.

Jeff

7 Likes

I’m proselytizing to two non-IF authors this year and we’ll see what comes of that!

7 Likes

I want emphasize that you need not write an horror story !

Last year I wrote a kid’s story about Halloween’s threat-or-tricking that was well received and totally in-theme :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I hope you recover quickly!

5 Likes

Very exciting! Hope I get inspired to participate this year. Either way, looking forward to seeing what everyone comes up with!

4 Likes

Would it be alright to submit a game to Ectocomp and another (unranked) game jam? Or should titles be exclusive to Ectocomp?

3 Likes

First publication must be ECTOCOMP (rule #6).

1. The games should be original and previously unpublished.

You can thereafter submit it to another jam.

6 Likes

Thank you! I should’ve specified a concurrent jam. Appreciate the clarification!

3 Likes

I know people will cross-submit to inkjam (looks like it wasn’t announced on the forum, it starts on Oct 20th) and to the bare-bones jam as well as ECTOCOMP simultaneously.

5 Likes

Quick question! Does time spent creating cover art count toward the 4-hour limit for La Petite Mort? (I’m assuming not, but just want to double check!!)

6 Likes

My understanding is anything outside the game itself doesn’t count. In-game art would count, a cover wouldn’t.

5 Likes

Hey there :slight_smile:
I followed the trail of blood/bridge of bones to this forum hoping to find a team that might need a sound designer for the Ectocomp?
The jam sounds fun and I’d love to participate.

Happy to help out with anything that might be required, from music to sound effects.

Cheers
Eike

10 Likes

ECTOCOMP 2023 STARTS TODAY

Good luck, everybody!

Have a sound designer :ear: :point_up:

Don’t get caught in the waters of Stygia!

12 Likes

I always look forward to ECTOCOMP, and coincidentally was just needing a new project… :wink:

5 Likes