ECTOCOMP 2022 is here. Prepare your expedition today!

Would SpongeBob case (EcToCoMp) be spooky enough? Or does that just fall in “obnoxious” territory?

The code I wrote for my IFComp game should be reusable for a Petite Mort game. It’d be a matter of plugging values into a table, if all goes well.

Oh, and folks, remember, get things in on the 30th, not the 31st!

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure I’ve spelled it that way at least once, but I can’t say I’m not obnoxious sometimes so…

@Ruber_Eaglenest has final say on it of course as the current organizer, but ECTOCOMP has historically been pretty lax and forgiving about drawing hard lines around any rules or anything so I imagine it’s all good as long as you don’t accidentally spell the name of a different comp.

3 Likes

COMETCop is my favorite comp. In fact my very first IF game was made for the 2019 edition of CocoTemp.
I’ll definitely enter a game in this year’s EcoCompt.

6 Likes

Where does the name ‘ECTOCOMP’ come from anyway? I imagine it to be a combination of Ectoplasm (from Ghost Busters) and Competition. Does that sound right?

1 Like

You are right.

I had to ask exactly the same some years ago

2 Likes

Yes, the name came from ectoplasm and from the Ghostbusters’ car license plate number ECTO 1. It has nothing much to do with the Greek prefix meaning outside. The case has varied as Duncan said, but my preference was for ALL CAPS. ECTOCOMP has run every year without a break since 2007 and I’m really pleased that Ruber is running it again this year!

5 Likes

I won’t be ready for IFComp, but I’m shooting for entering my game into the Grand Guignol. It may be tight, though. Fingers crossed!

Woot! Looking forward to playing it.

4 Likes

If you add page on IFWiki (using this form) it’ll automatically appear on the Main Page there. Incidentally, IFWiki has been writing it as “Ectocomp” since 2007 :slight_smile:

2 Likes

By the way, I hear it’s going to be sponsored by Petco.com.

10 Likes

Right now I have zero further time to do that. If someone could do that for me I would be grateful. It’s impossible for me right now.

That’s awesome!

I think we have a topic for the next year! ECTOCOMP tribute to Ghostbusters!!!

3 Likes

Just don’t cross the Grand Guignol and Petite Mort streams.

3 Likes

Exciting! Thanks for running it as always, and I love the itchio page this year :heart_eyes:

5 Likes

As luck would have it, a bolt of inspiration struck me on my way home tonight, and hopefully this time I’ll manage to finish it within the four hours! I’m not sure I have the time for all the testing the Guignol deserves, but I should be able to hammer out a four-hour game.

8 Likes

It looks like I’m going to be in the Grand Guignol if at all this year. I want to make sure my effort is well-tested. Plus there will be nontrivial tricky bits.

It may be all for the best. A lot of times in past years a lot of my planning energy went into five or ten minute bursts of programming, which was fun, but I was left disjointed.

I’m excited already to see who else has ideas.

6 Likes

I am still working on my entry. I have good ideas for puzzles, several involving a NPC. This is my first try at actually finishing a game with I7. I get bogged down with actions that I think should be easy to implement - not so much. I am finding Aaron’s Creating text and Jim Aiken’s Handbook to be useful for assistance.

6 Likes

Right? Every time I think something should be easy, it’s not, and every time I think something will be really hard, I7 has an easy tool for it.

3 Likes

Exactly! Sometimes the same code in the same location, one works one doesn’t!

For example:

After going south while player is in Pumpkin Museum: now player is in Welcome Center; now Greg is in Welcome Center.

[Why doesn't this work!!!]
After going east while player is in Pumpkin Museum: now player is in Gift Shop; now Greg is in Gift Shop.

Grrr. :wink:

At risk of taking the thread off topic, the issue here might be that you’re using a condition pegged on the location of the player during an action that moves the player, so something non-obvious could be happening. Dunno if you’re using the RULES testing command, but that can help diagnose whether your rules are during when you think they should be; if not, you might want to rewrite them to trigger off the player going a direction, or use the room gone from/room gone to action variables instead.

3 Likes

This is a real question? I’m not sure if you have a wink that should be wink wink winky.