DOL-OS - Remastered Interactive Sci-Fi Exploration (v2.0.2)

After weeks of gruelling work and a bit of crunch, DOL-OS has been remastered…
… and is now available in English!

It has a fresh new UI, corrected issues, added significant content, sound! and QoL settings. Read the whole changelog

Blurb:

Year 3XXX.
In some ruins, you’ve found an old computer, one of those antique pieces you’d see in museums. Strangely, the device still powers up when you press its buttons.
Wonder what you could find within its files?

DOL-OS is a sci-fi interactive fiction game, all happening inside a fictional computer. You can peruse its archive, delve deeper into its core, maybe solve some puzzles, or execute a probably unsafe program…
I wish I could say more, but I’d be spoiling the whole game…

Play DOL-OS here:

The game was first released in French for the 2023 Edition of the Concours de Fiction Interactive Francophone, and was the winner of the competition. It also placed 2nd for Best Use of Theme and Technical Excellence, and 2rd for Narrative Design Excellence.
You can play the original version on the IFDB.
Review 1 - Review 2

Probably wasn’t smart to put it online just before the IFComp…

Edits:
V2.0.1: fixed some textual issues and few bugs. Added Easter Egg popup at the end of the game.
V2.0.2: added a starting screen to mute sound on start.

16 Likes

I’m excited to play this in English and I’m greatful for the work you put in to share this with the embarrassingly large fraction of monolingual (largely American) English speakers. I’ve played some French IF via machine translation, but I know I’m missing stuff as I play.

Thanks again, Manon for the IF treat!

4 Likes

Thanks for taking the time and effort to do this. I had a quick look (for now) and it seems the sudoku issues have resurfaced: When pressing “Confirm” I got Error: cannot execute macro <<popup>>: unable to parse macro argument expression "<<if settings.lang is "Français">>Gagné!<<else>>It’s won!<</if>": expected expression, got '<<' (spoiler in case I misunderstood and it is intended behavior)

4 Likes

This is not supposed to happen and I thought I had fixed it (I did but… I must have forgotten to recompile after correcting the issue)
Rezipping in a few minutes.

EDIT: it’s up!

4 Likes

For those interested, I’ve added the Source Code of the competition version on GitHub, and submitted the whole Comp version zip to the IFArchive (linked on the IFDB page too).

3 Likes

I’ve fixed some minor issues with the game (missed translation and Sudoku result not popping properly), as well as adding alt-text to as many images as I could.

Also! On the End Screen, I’ve added an Easter Egg popup, with a list of all references included in the game, as well as links between some bits of the game :slight_smile:
I thought I had added this to the game in the OG remaster update…

3 Likes

A little late addition of a starting screen to mute sound on start if wished.

5 Likes