Discourse Doesn't "Like" My Screenreader

Voiceover on iOS/Mac OS to be specific. I’m not sure how long this has been going on, but I’ve just discovered that the process for viewing names of people who have “liked” a forum post isn’t screenreader-accessible anymore. When the box which states that X amount of people liked a post is ticked, a list of profile display names usually pops up after the post’s action buttons: reply, report, bookmark, ETC. As far as I’m able to tell, the list doesn’t seem to be showing up there at the moment, nor anywhere else that I’ve been able to identify. Have other screenreader users on here been noticing this?

5 Likes

I haven’t seen any reports like that sorry. You might be able to get more information at https://meta.discourse.org/

Thanks, nobody seems to have reported anything there yet so I went ahead and made a post..

3 Likes

you’re still using the default theme right? if not and you happen to be using hibiscus on this forum, that theme doesn’t have that “likes” list on my request. switching themes should fix that.

if you’re not using hibiscus, then it’s probably a discourse thing?

3 Likes

Nope, I’m still using the default theme, but it’s good to know about the hibiscus situation.

3 Likes

Just an extra data point for what it’s worth, I’m having a very similar problem on Windows with NVDA in Firefox and Chromium browsers. The list of people who reacted does appear, but no usernames are read out. It’s a list of blank items. Nothing on the Discourse Meta yet.

3 Likes

Update: nothing from the Discourse admin team yet. I guess this isn’t a huge issue in the grand scheme of things—I mean, I don’t have to know who specifically appreciates my posts enough to hit the “like” button—but this just feels like such a random area for accessibility to break.

2 Likes

That’s a long time for no reply. Wow.

2 Likes

Not as long as it took for the spoilers bugs to be fixed. Which we had to fix for them!

2 Likes

Are we going to have to fix this one for them as well? :cold_sweat:

2 Likes

It is open source software, so it’s not exactly wrong for the community to have to fix some issues. But is a shame that company resources aren’t going towards accessibility improvements rather than to AI or crypto stuff.

3 Likes

If you’re certain this is a regression, I’d suggest you move the topic you created to the bugs category; it’s possible posts get more attention there.

3 Likes

I think the most disheartening bit for me right now is that there’s been absolutely no acknowledgement from the Discourse team at all. As mentioned above it’s a pretty small issue, and I highly doubt it’s going to make the top of anybody’s priority list, but as a frequent Discourse user I’d appreciate it if someone would at least take a look :persevere:. The topic is probably buried by now … maybe it’s time to give their tail a little tweak. As someone who has been a part of the fight for web accessibility pretty much all my life, you have to be a bit of a nuisance more often than not in order to help get the ball rolling.

2 Likes

That’s a good idea—now to figure out how …
Edit: I don’t think I’ve built up enough trust over there to have been granted that ability.

2 Likes