Disabling default behavior of "my"

[code]Test is room.

There is an electronic nose in Test.

Understand “nose” as a person.
Understand “my nose” as yourself.

test me with “x my nose/get nose/x my nose”[/code]

I can’t come up with any way to stop the parser from interpreting “my nose” as a carried item, rather than a specially Understood item. Is there a way?

Destroy its entry in the (I6) LanguageDescriptors array:

LanguageDescriptors–>1 = ‘,nonword’;

Not pretty, no.

This is not an answer to your question, but… you could of course make a “my nose” object that is part of the player. Do you have a special reason for not doing that?

I could try that, but the ‘electronic nose’ (name disguised to protect the spoilers) is a much more important object, and I was trying to preempt useless disambiguation situations. The only reason to include ‘my nose’ at all is to provide a polite refusal rather than an accidental interaction with the wrong thing.

Right, but stuff like “does the player mean doing anything with my nose: it is very unlikely” would then take care of your disambiguation problem, wouldn’t it?

It might, but I’ve acquired a deep distrust of the parser that makes me doubt. I’ll have to decide if I think it’s worth the chance.

Part of the reason is that my Lost Items extension does some hacking of noun understandings - if it has too many out-of-scope objects to choose from, it might choose a really weird one - and it does no disambiguation at all, so it just goes with the first one it finds.