Deck the Halls, Gieves (Adventuron 2020 Christmas Jam) hint request

I think I’m near the end of this entertaining game, but I’m stuck. Or, rather, Bartie is stuck. And I do so want to get through all the entries!

I’m pretty sure of what I need to do in general. But Bartie winds up getting coal on his hands if I TAKE COAL, and I can’t figure out how to do so with the handkerchief so I can avoid the Aunt washing my hands and taking the coal.

Then after that I’m a bit worried there might be a verb-guessing thing for what, according to the in-game hints, seems to be the final puzzle: ADJUST CHECKERS’S POCKET SQUARE. Anyone remember this?

Thanks!

3 Likes

Oof, I have played this when working through @rovarsson’s poll of Wodehovian games, but it was a while ago. I remember the coal bit being tricky, and struggling with the parser throughout since it’s in a strict VERB NOUN format which made it hard to manage actions with direct objects, but I don’t remember the solution - I dimly think it might have involved wearing gloves rather than using the handkerchief but I could easily be getting that wrong. I don’t remember the latter puzzle being too bad, at least, so hopefully reasonable synonyms will get you through (adjust, move, pull, take…)

Sorry to not be more help!

3 Likes

This reminds me that I need to finish the game! (I think @mathbrush must have done it, maybe he remembers). I think the author put a huge amount of effort into this game and it placed quite low in the jam, so I’m glad you’re spending some time with it.

3 Likes

I just replayed this. It turns out there are two solutions for the first puzzle; I can’t solve it using the path you did, but instead, in the garage, I tried wipe oil, which works.

The final verb I used (for the second potential problem you mentioned) was FIX.

3 Likes

Thanks to all! Yes, I figured the final puzzle.

I didn’t think of getting my hands dirty that way since I figured I should be using something from each room.

But the ending was worth it. I couldn’t help picturing Stephen Fry as Jeeves and Hugh Laurie as Bertie in a very welcome lost episode of Jeeves & Wooster.

5 Likes