Curses! 549 points?

Ok. I played the exellent Curses! (ver 16) for a couple of months and just completed (with a bit of help from walkthroughs and hints here). The thing is that I finished it with 549 of 550 points (554 if I get the temporary bonus points and quickly finishes the game). I even played through the walkthrough and finished the game with the same 549 points.

This bugs me a bit and I wonder if this is an example of “the last lousy point”.that I missed or if it impossible to finish the game with 550 points? What am I missing?

2 Likes

My memory is failing me here—I distinctly remember a last lousy point existing, but I can’t remember what it is.

Could you post your full score listing in a spoiler block? I may have an old transcript lying around to compare it against. (Or, failing that, could extract the string table from the game file, I suppose.)

Ok. Here goes… My full score (warning! contains spoilers):

This is the afternoon of June 3rd, 1993, and you are in Meldrew Hall. You have so far scored 549 out of a possible 550, in 1313 turns, giving you the rank of very nearly happy Tourist.

The score is made up as follows:

3 reading postcard
 7 recharging torch
 7 exorcism
10 opening secret door
 3 opening demijohn
 3 using dumbwaiter
 5 charging a rod
 5 firing a rod
 2 exposing radio
 2 sporting a daisy chain
 3 placating Aunt Jemima
50 rescuing Andromeda
 3 uncovering battery
 4 mending the plumbing
 6 scenting a passage
 6 reflecting
15 solving the grid
10 winning the orb
 1 buying map of Paris
 8 filling the arc
 4 getting into the well
 3 smoke detecting
 3 putting a ship in a bottle
 6 parachuting on deck
 5 sleeping in Alison's bed
10 opening sandstone crevice
 7 identifying a rod
 7 dislodging the watch
 3 hypnosis
 3 passing security
 3 restoring the Temple
 6 answering Homer
 3 summoning the oracle
 8 unearthing strongbox
 3 startling Austin
 3 washing away the stone
 7 provoking the librarians
 3 twisting the sphinx's nose
 3 depositing the quarterstaff
15 rising in the afterlife
15 reviving the knight
 3 encouraging the knight
 1 choosing a High Rod
72 discovering rods
60 finding sundry items

140 visiting various places

549 total (out of 550)

Okay, I couldn’t find an old transcript, but I did pull all the score-related strings out of the Z5 file. There are four relevant strings that are missing from your transcript:

acquiring the mascot
eating between meals
bonus for a good try
destroying universe

I’m thinking the second one is what you want. The first and last are negative, and I have no idea what the third is.

Did a bit of disassembling, and this achievement is awarded for eating or drinking something that is flagged “edible” and is not object number 36 (which I’m guessing is the tablet from the medicine bottle).

Thank you. I’ll try tomorrow. I have some ideas…

Progress so far:

The four things listed that’s not in my full score are:

acquiring the mascot: This is a negative (-50) if you bring the mascot back with you from premonition dream.

destroying universe: Also a negative if you tamper with universe constants in Universe Maintenance Room.

bonus for a good try: Is a 5 point bonus you get if you kiss or give Jemima the biscuit. The points are temporary and the game takes them back after a few turns.

eating between meal: This could be it. So far I havn’t been able to trigger it. There are six things that have the edible bit set (chocolat biscuit, box of chocolat, red tablet, fig, ekmek special dessert & bunch of nuts). Only the biscuit and in some sense the fig (you can get a new one after you used it for its real purpose) are not used to solve other puzzles. Simply eating the biscuit doesn’t do anything (I’ve tried it in r7, 10 & 12 also just to eliminate the possibility that something is broken in r16 only). Maybe there is a time and/or place for eating the biscuit. I’ll have to consult the disassembly…

More progress (maybe):

Noticed that if you eat the biscuit the line “eating between meals” appears in full score but you are awarded 0 points for it. I’m not sure if this is a bug or a joke but it works the same in both r12 and r16. If it is a joke then where is the missing point?

Is this the kind of evil game where you get a bonus point for never saving or never using undo?

No, I don’t think so.

Based on the disassembly of r16, the player’s score is stored in the eighth
global variable (G07).

That variable is initialized to zero, and its value is changed in the following places:

1. Incremented by 4 in routine dda8 (acquisition of a ‘sundry item’).
  2. Decremented by 5 in routine 14c04 (removal of a temporary bonus).
  3. Decremented by 50 in routine 1eca0 (acquiring the heavy iron mascot).
  4. Set to -99 in routine 1f960 (destroying the universe).
  5. Incremented by a value from a table in routine 276ec. The table in question
    starts at $5d28 and contains 45 bytes, each representing the value of a
    scored item.
  6. Incremented by 5 in routine 28298 (visiting one of the ‘various places’).
  7. Incremented by 5 in routine 2a884 (granting a temporary bonus, for any of
    eight different reasons).
  8. Decremented by 5 in routine 2a8d8 (removal of a temporary bonus when the
    game ends without winning).
  9. Incremented by 6 in routine 2ba8c (discovery of a rod).

The table used in routine 276ec contains the following score values. Although
this table is in dynamic memory, I cannot see anything that obviously modifies
its contents, so I believe these scores to be constant.

(As Henrik noticed earlier, the score for item $16, eating between meals, is
zero. The score for item $15, acquiring the mascot, is also zero here because
the table does not support negative values; routine 1eca0 calls routine 276ec
to assign the score from the table, and then subtracts 50.)

offset score description
00 3 reading postcard
01 7 recharging torch
02 7 exorcism
03 10 opening secret door
04 3 opening demijohn
05 3 using dumbwaiter
06 5 charging a rod
07 5 firing a rod
08 2 exposing radio
09 2 sporting a daisy chain
0a 3 placating Aunt Jemima
0b 50 rescuing Andromeda
0c 3 uncovering battery
0d 4 mending the plumbing
0e 6 scenting a passage
0f 6 reflecting
10 15 solving the grid
11 10 winning the orb
12 1 buying map of Paris
13 8 filling the arc
14 4 getting into the well
15 0 acquiring the mascot
16 0 eating between meals
17 3 smoke detecting
18 3 putting a ship in a bottle
19 6 parachuting on deck
1a 5 sleeping in Alison's bed
1b 10 opening sandstone crevice
1c 7 identifying a rod
1d 7 dislodging the watch
1e 3 hypnosis
1f 3 passing security
20 3 restoring the Temple
21 6 answering Homer
22 3 summoning the oracle
23 8 unearthing strongbox
24 3 startling Austin
25 3 washing away the stone
26 7 provoking the librarians
27 3 twisting the sphinx's nose
28 3 depositing the quarterstaff
29 15 rising in the afterlife
2a 15 reviving the knight
2b 3 encouraging the knight
2c 1 choosing a High Rod

Given that the temporary bonus is kept if the player still has it when the game is won (this is the only way to end the game without the bonus being removed) I suspect that this is supposed to be the ‘last lousy point’.

If I am correct, then to win with exactly 550 points you would need to get to 545 instead of 549 and then get the bonus and quickly finish the game.

I know that it is possible to win without getting into the well (I won with 539 points, and that is one of the items that I was missing) so that would be one way to score 4 points fewer.

I came to the same conclusion as you in the disassembly.

One curious thing in with the objects is that there is 28 locations with the $12 attribute set ($12 = scorebit) and 14 objects with attribute $12. This adds up to 28x5=140 and 14x4=56. But in my full score I get 60 points for ‘sundy items’ so I got rewarded for 15 objects.

As it turns out you get 4 points both for picking up the ‘smooth stone’ in the museum in Hamburg and for picking it up when it’s washed up on the shore in Alexandria. I don’t think this is intended and I consider it a ‘bug’ but I can not find in the code why it is like this.

To sum up:

277 points from scoring table
140 points for visiting various places
56 points for picking up sundry items (you actully get 60 for the smooth stone is awarded twice)
72 points for discovering rods (12 rods x 6 points)
5 points for temporary bonus points

Sum: 550 points

My personal prefered ending is to think that I’m in such a jubilant mood (for finding the map) that I give Aunt Jemima a kiss before leaving the attic and joining my family for the trip to Paris.
Thereby finishing the game with 554 points.

Now I only have to see if r7, r10 & r12 have the same behaviour but I’ll save that for another day.

Thanks to both Daniel & Drew for you effort! Hope you had as much fun as I to ‘solve’ this last puzzle in Curses!

2 Likes

Ah, that explains it. The reason for the double-counting appears to be that (for some reason) in routine 20218 when the smooth round stone washes up in Warehouses and Port, the story clears attribute $0c (moved) on the object. This means that if/when the player acquires it again, the scoring code in routine dda8 does not recognise that it has previously been acquired, and scores it a second time.

3 Likes

I always assumed the last point in Curses was one last joke on the player! (Curses plot spoilers follow) I thought the idea was to get the player to search fruitlessly for a point they’ll never find, just like all the Meldrews had their own impossible quests. The smooth stone glitch that Henrik and Drew found seems like a more likely explanation, but I always just thought Graham Nelson was being clever.

I reviewed my notes on Curses! and noticed that my list of respones from the angel and the demon is incomplete. Do anyone know how to/what triggers the missing responses?

(BIG spoiler below)

Things you can ask the demon about:

Premonition - In the premonition, it is vital to get hold of the mascot for later use.
Battery, Torch - It’s no use poking about on the attic floor for fresh torch batteries, because there aren’t any.
Jemima, Gloves - Your Aunt Jemima is not the kind of woman to be distracted by music or frivolous presents, mark my words.
Marie Swelldon, Novel - Novels are, of course, invariably written by people using their real names, not disguised in any way.
Daisies - The thing about daisies is, they are the same all year round, not changing with the calendar.
Medicine Bottle - Modern medicine bottles can even withstand falls from a great height. I should try heat if I were you.
Demijohn - You can easily get a grip on the demijohn with your bare hands.
Bottle - The answer’s the same, whichever bottle you meant. That counts as your hint, I’m afraid. Not very fair, but then I am a demon.
Heaven - The demon acknowledges the question, but cannot bring himself to speak of Heaven.
Hell - Hell? Oh this isn’t your eternal damnation, it’s mine, having to answer all these wretched questions. No, Hell itself is a marvellous place, and it has an excellent health club too. Look forward to seeing you there.
Postcard - Don’t worry, there’s nothing written there. No need to look at the problem in a fresh light.
Joshua - History never repeats itself, so it’s pointless looking him up in the book.
Isaac - The really interesting stuff is at the very start of his working life.
Museum - Forget it, there’s no way to return from the museum, and Doktor Stein’s medicine has no antidote.
Merlyn - Merlyn doesn’t really come into this. Try working on something else.
Hat - Literally, Merlyn’s actual hat. Green pointy felt, I wouldn’t wonder.
Book - The answer’s the same, whichever book you meant. That counts as your hint, I’m afraid. Not very fair, but then I am a demon.
Ebenezer - Ebenezer? He’s absolutely central to this. Concentrate on him, definitely.
Projector - Trouble with holiday snaps is, once somebody gets the old slide projector going, a boring time is on the cards for all.
Rods - You’ll need to be wide awake and alert to work out what to do with them. Finding them is easy - just remember to keep an eye out for short, fat things.
Tarot Cards - Clairvoyantes are expert at detecting stacked decks, so it’s no good cheating.
Boat - Phlebas runs a very badly-advertised service, I’m afraid. I’ve got no time for him.
Mouse - Once the mouse is in the hole, forget it, it couldn’t hear you even if you talked to the hole instead. But there is an alternative method.
Key - Your fault for letting the key get into the foundations - nothing can get in there to retrieve it.
Radio - Marvellous, marvellous contraption. Starts the moment you switch it on, and then nothing but solid gold classics all the way. You can really concentrate when that’s playing.
Fireplace - What, the blocked-up old fireplace that doesn’t lead anywhere? You need to be carrying plenty of equipment to get down it - don’t worry if it’s dark at the bottom, after all there’s nothing you can do about that.
Sandstone Recess - The sandstone recess is probably impassible. Better try only when you’re wide awake.
Austin - Austin’s a perfect devil, isn’t he? She, I should say. Good for nothing except getting in the way, of course. Walks into walls just when you don’t want, but at least Jemima calms her down.
Smoke Detector - Smoke detectors like yours are specially rigged not to be triggered by accidental shafts of light.
Ship - Of course the ship is far too large and ungainly ever to fit in the bottle.
??? - 3c360: S980 “~Cold comfort.~”
Alison Bed - A good blanket might be a plain, colourless sort of covering with no emblem to it.
Revolving Door - The thing about the revolving door is, you can only revolve it when you’re already standing inside.
Cabinet - Unbreakable glass.
??? - 3c3f0: S984 “~A vital clue, and useful in its own right.~”
Curses - The greatest computer game of all time. I’m proud to be a part of it.
??? - 3c43c: S986 “The demon blushes. ~Wasn’t my fault! My partner made a mess of it.~”

Things you can show the demon:

Returning Rod - Well, that’s not very useful, is it? I’d go on strike if I were you.
Stalking Rod - It has no horticultural application.
Crumpled Paper - Immensely useful, that.
Electric Torch - Pity you can’t change the batteries.
Chocolat Biscuit - He eats it
History of the Meldrews - What a boring old book! There’s nobody worth looking up.
Classical Dictionary - Lots of naughty words in that one.
Scarf - The very height of fashion, if you ignore the colours and wear it regardless.
Bird Whistle - It has a calm, soothing effect.
Gift-Wrapped Parcel - Shame the wrapping paper won’t come off.
Box of Chocolate - Far too nice to give to anybody else. In fact…
Wrapping Paper - The reindeer have enormous significance.
Postcard - There’s no message there to read.
Medicine Bottle - These bottles can even survive long drops, so perhaps you should try fire.
Red Tablet - This drug is for fun, it isn’t an antidote. And it tastes gorgeous…
Romantic Novel - Don’t bother reading or thinking about it. Nothing to do with your family.
Poetry Book - My my, a golden age for clear, simple poetry. At last, an end to the dreary obscurity of Tennyson, Kipling and Hardy.
New Battery - That is a difficult puzzle, yes.
Rucksack - It might be handy, if only it could carry anything.
Painting of Mad Isaac - Carry this with you everywhere you go.
Gas Mask - The cork filters have gone. It’s useless now.
Gothic Iron Key - Unfortunately, what you need this for is up in the clouds.
Sooty Old Stick - It’s exactly what it seems.
Prayer Book - The really good research was in his earlier years.
Delicate Gold Key - Gold and lead are naturally related, so you want to find a lead box to open.
Red Battery - It’s provided for your torch, and not for anything else.
Tourist Map - Purely decorative.
Gloves - Good for nothing. Why would you want gloves on?
Daisy Chain - Dangerous to wear. But at least any sort of daisies will do.
Chicken Wishbone - It isn’t even mentioned in any of the books I’ve read.
Robot Mouse - It can’t even follow orders.
Brass Key - It isn’t the attic key, I fear.
Ragged Scroll - What taste! What artistry!
Framed Charcoal Sketch - It’s the frame which really sets it off.
Charcoal Sketch - Charcoal is so unrealistic, don’t you agree? Besides, it’s far too large and clumsy.
Old Letter - The ravings of a madman. Ignore it.
Poster - What a very useful piece of paper. Pity there’s writing on it.
Grim Reaper - It’s vital you slide right along with this one.
Fool - Don’t worry, he won’t slide down the cliff.
Drowned Sailor - He’s one of my colleagues now, of course.
Oak Quarterstaff - Shoddy workmanship, but never mind, it’s only a staff and who needs those any more?
Silk Handkerchief - People had no style in those days, before they invented paper tissues. I mean this tatty cloth is hardly attractive, is it?
Map of Paris - Burn it! Burn it at once!
Tarot Box - There’s nothing worthwhile in it.
Castle - It leads nowhere.
Star - Ugh, what a nasty bright light. Good thing you’ll never go there.
Eight of Wands - There’s less to this card than meets the eye.
Maiden - What an ugly girl! Bet she’s good for a laugh though.
Ace of Cups - It leads nowhere.
Shepherd’s Crook - Just a crook. And what’s wrong with crooks, that’s what I say.
Timer-detonator - Time flies down here, you know. Eternity simply breezes by.
Amber Hairband - Mmm… it still has her perfume on it. Hehehehe. Bet she’s dead now.
Fig - You can ask a god for a date, but they just don’t give a fig.
Ekmek Special - Better with chocolate ice cream, I think.
Flag - Piece of advice - it’s never very comfortable wrapping yourself in the Flag.
Old Timber Spar - A plain old piece of timber.
Miniature - What’s the point of a drawing so small it might almost be a playing card?
Bean Pole - Whatever you do, it’ll always be a bean pole.
Croquet Mallet - It’s for mashing croquet potatoes.
Bluish Stone - I wouldn’t wave that around if I were you!
Heavy Iron Mascot - An absolute essential.
Model of Ugly Animal - Exquisite. Simply charming.
Green Oak Quarterstaff - Ready to use.
Spindle - Don’t go waving this about.
Mystic Scroll - Don’t you believe it!
Bunch of Nuts - Nuts to you too.
Crescent Moon - It leads nowhere.
Carbolic Soap - That’s the spirit, keep it up!

Things you can ask the angel about:

Heaven - Heaven? Oh this isn’t your eternal salvation, it’s mine, able to serve by answering all these delightful questions. No, Heaven itself is a marvellous place, and it has an excellent health club too. Look forward to seeing you there.
Hell, Demon - The angel acknowledges the question, but cannot bring herself to speak of Hell.
Rods - The rods definitely fit into all this somewhere.
Maze - If only you could have been there when the maze was being laid out!
Master Game - The master game is like a point at infinity to we mortals,~ the angel says wistfully.
Infinity - All a matter of fitting the rods in somewhere.
Andromeda - How she must long to let her hair down now, instead of being chained to that rock,~ the angel says sorrowfully. ~But in deference to her wishes, I cannot help you rescue her.
??? - 3c640: S994 “~Amazing fortune you must have in finding it, I can tell.~”
Folly - Ah yes, we must all lament for human folly,~ says the angel, misunderstanding completely.
Zeus - Zeus wasn’t a true god, of course,~ the angel predictably insists, ~just a manifestation of the laws of physics to an Ancient Greek, a kind of symbol for the way the universe fundamentally worked.
Lighthouse - 3c718: S997 “The angel maintains a tight-lipped silence.”
??? - 3c734: S998 “~That’s too dangerous a rod to actually use, of course, and the Church no longer approves of martyrs.~”
Luck - Is there really such a thing as luck, or free will? It’s a theological grey area,~ says the angel with fine casuistry.
??? - 3c7c4: S1000 “~Certainly a thorny problem, that.~”
Evans - Old Evans would never give you his mascot of his own free will.
??? - 3c80c: S1002 “~One has to reflect on ugliness like that.~”
Golden Watch - It’s quite hypnotically fascinating, don’t you think?
Squirrel - Squirrels are very fond of nuts, but you can’t trust them an inch.
Spade - Just think what that would do to a decent lawn! Oh, it makes me go cold all over.
Croquet Lawn - Whatever is a croquet lawn for, if not to play croquet? Although, now I think about it, there is something else down there.
Anoppe - Ah yes, a code word understood by certain of Alexander the Great’s slaves. But you’d have to be in the right place at the right time.
Tombstone - The mouth is the key, or rather the lock.
Sphinx - Do be careful. The sphinxes are only made of stone, but they could easily give you nightmares.
Couch - Jolly comfortable, some of those funeral couches.
Coffin - A one-way ride, but that’s life.
Knight - Once fired with life, the knight will only be yours to command when he has discharged his chivalric duty.
??? - 3ca44: S1013 “~Some of those ancient knights were rather loose, but perhaps that’s better than being screwed up.~”
Library - The Great Library isn’t for passing hooligans, you know,~ says the angel reprovingly. ~Besides, the guards understand their duty by the Cat God far too well to let you through.
Apollonius, Callimachus - They’re always at each other’s throats. I shudder to think what might happen if a real fight broke out.
Procession - Oh, find yourself a costume, join the party!
Quarterstaff - The green wood may one day make a really good staff, but it could take ages. Better leave it with someone for safe keeping.
High Rod - Some choices are inevitable and permanent, at least in this world.
??? - 3cbd4: S1019 “~Do be careful of the trap, won’t you! You might want to take precautions with the opening.~”
??? - 3cc0c: S1020 “~Let me see.~”
Statues - You appreciate, in my position I can’t really comment on graven images of pagan gods. Better try some dictionary or other.
Oracle - That woman will rabbit on, once you set her off. But only if you sacrifice something. Will you be joining us next Harvest Sunday, by the way?
Oil - Ooh, it does make me shiver, thinking of the way they used to pour oil over themselves, anointing they called it.
Homer - Shabby old gossip, Homer, always reminds me of Peter Falk. Anyway, just give him his answers. Shouldn’t be too hard, with what you’re wearing and carrying.
Summer House - Going in round the front just scares the birds away, I fear.
Contraption - Find out what you can about your ancestor who built it - his tomb isn’t far away. Then reflect as best you can on the problem.
Ozone - Well, if you know what the odour is, that’s the main thing.

Things you can show the angel:

Fire Rod - This is rather dangerous, I’m afraid. Use only on vegetative matter.
Infinity Rod - Well, where might you have seen infinity before?
Husbandry Rod - Perhaps you should look up “husbandry” in a dictionary.
Bronze Rod - Bronze is the key here. Have you seen any other bronze anywhere?
Sacrifice Rod - Far, far too dangerous. The age of martyrs in the church is long gone, you know.
Luck Rod - Well, if there’s such a thing as luck, maybe this would help.
Ice Rod - Use only at heated moments, when affairs are delicately balanced.
Life Rod - Astonishing! One of the three high Rods!
Death Rod - Astonishing! One of the three high Rods!
Love Rod - Astonishing! One of the three high Rods!
Jewellery Box - Try investigating the world of the romantic novel, out on the balconies of life.
Four-Leafed Clover - Not much use as it is, is it?
Flash - When you can get this working, perhaps you should take it somewhere prominent.
Map of Paris - What a very useful map! Now you can go on holiday.
Matchbook - Ah, I fear it is only a token clue.
Smooth Round Stone - Doesn’t the shape strike you as familiar at all? - There, that should point you in the right direction.
Papyrus Fragment - You need more evidence before you can begin deciphering the language, I fear.
Timer-Detonator - Good photographic gear that. You didn’t get it from a… well, a bomb, I hope.
Mounted Bottle - The great challenge, of course, is to get a ship inside.
Ship in a Bottle - Oh, well done! Why not take a closer look, you deserve it?
Model Ship - The great challenge, of course, is to get it inside a bottle.
Stick with an Anchor - The great challenge, of course, is to get it inside a bottle.
Fig - Good enough for a god.
Ekmek Special - Doesn’t somebody else need this more than you?
Copper Coin - This currency is only valid in ancient Greece. Where on earth have you been?
Inscribed Stone - Whoever wrote this must have wanted to get the message across very badly, to write it all out twice.
Pan Pipes - Marvellous! A sound to soothe the spirit.
Amber Gem - Isn’t there some classical legend about her?
Green Branch - Oh, you startled me for a moment there! I am getting flighty.
Wooden Ball - Splendid, you’re having a ball. I do hope you hit it off.
Weed Killer Bottle - The funny thing is, they didn’t have weedkillers in the early nineteenth century, and yet they still planned some marvellous gardens
Spade - Do you think there’s anywhere in the garden particularly suitable for such an implement?
Marble Rose - Perfection set in stone. Not a gift for mortal women!
Croquet Mallet - Croquet is the Devil’s own game!
Gold Watch - How easily are the weak mesmerised by baubles.
Strongbox - You might have read about this. One of your ancestors is the key, perhaps?
Golden Astrolabe - A mighty fine instrument, though not much use hand-held.
Rusty Iron Key - Oh dear, surely it’s gratingly obvious what this fits?
Adamantine Heart - There must be more to this marvellous figure somewhere.
Cloak of many Colours - Are you sure it isn’t inside out?
Grey Cloak - Are you sure it isn’t inside out?
Model of Ugly Animal - Oh dear.
Golden Sceptre - Of no use to anyone these last two thousand years, sorry!
Adamantine Skull - There must be more to this marvellous figure somewhere.
Green Oak Quarterstaff - Perhaps it could be put aside for later use.
Silver Keepsake - For me? Oh, you shouldn’t have… oh, you didn’t. Well give it to someone else then.
Alpha Tube - Surely this is addressed to someone?
Kappa Tube - Surely this is addressed to someone?
Scroll with Short Poem - Oh my. “I touch your… and the scent of you rises from… your beautiful…” I’d better not read the rest. Strictly for aficionados.
Scroll with Epic Poem - Oh my. Well, the plot, um, there are seven attackers, all with different shields, one for each of the seven city gates, and it’s a civil war so of course the brothers are really in a duel and there are champions and the women are upset but it’s all because of their brother who was really their father… Never mind. It’s strictly for aficionados.
Mystic Scroll - We in the afterlife, um, have a policy of never commenting on leaked documents.
Bunch of Nuts - Do you know, I love nuts, but I have to be so careful what I eat now… Still, the little ones will have them.
Adamantine Hand - There must be more to this marvellous figure somewhere.
Carbolic Soap - Really! How disgraceful!

1 Like

Curses is one of those games that keeps you guessing. I’ve only gotten to 544, 549 with bonus, and am trying everything to get more.

3 Likes

Impressive nonetheless :slight_smile:

1 Like

I can’t seem to get more than 549 points. And I’ve played the game through twice in 2 days, so I need a bit of a break. Fully deservs its reputation as a great game. Problem is, it sucks you in, you keep wondering what you could have done to get more points.

I revisited my notes from my code analysis of version 16 (spoliers!)

There are 28 locations that awards 5 points each for visiting = 140 points.
Priest's Hole
Infinity Symbol
Unreal City
Museum Foyer
Ruined Castle Cafe
Eraina Taverna
Temple of Zeus
Lighthouse
Garden Stream
Maze
Patio in Maze
Viewpoint Ledge
Folly
Behind Summer House
Entrance
Rough Tent
Encampment
Beneath Dolmen
Universe Maintenance Room
Jetty
The Height of Fashion
The Spirit World
Quite an Undertaking
Consulting Room
Warehouses and Port
The Birdcage of the Muses
Lost inside the Palace
Palace Balustrade
There are 14 objects that awards 4 points each = 56 points.
red table
gothic-looking iron key
delicate gold key
old gardeners' gloves
charcoal sketch
smooth round stone
Ekmek Special
inscribed stone
gleaming amber gem
golden astrolabe
yellow daisy
bluish stone
glowing golden orb
bunch of nuts
There are 12 rods that awards 6 points each for discovery = 72 points.
There are 43 actions that are awarded points as below, totaling 277 points.
 3 reading postcard
 7 recharging torch
 7 exorcism
10 opening secret door
 3 opening demijohn
 3 using dumbwaiter
 5 charging a rod
 5 firing a rod
 2 exposing radio
 2 sporting a daisy chain
 3 placating Aunt Jemima
50 rescuing Andromeda
 3 uncovering battery
 4 mending the plumbing
 6 scenting a passage
 6 reflecting
15 solving the grid
10 winning the orb
 1 buying map of Paris
 8 filling the arc
 4 getting into the well
 3 smoke detecting
 3 putting a ship in a bottle
 6 parachuting on deck
 5 sleeping in Alison's bed
10 opening sandstone crevice
 7 identifying a rod
 7 dislodging the watch
 3 hypnosis
 3 passing security
 3 restoring the Temple
 6 answering Homer
 3 summoning the oracle
 8 unearthing strongbox
 3 startling Austin
 3 washing away the stone
 7 provoking the librarians
 3 twisting the sphinx's nose
 3 depositing the quarterstaff
15 rising in the afterlife
15 reviving the knight
 3 encouraging the knight
 1 choosing a High Rod
There are 8 ways to earn the temporary 5 bonus points.
Use fire rod at medicine bottle.
Give chicken bone to Austin
Put postcard in projector
Put framed charcoal sketch in projector
Give chocolate biscuit to aunt Jemima
Give gift-wrapped parcel to aunt Jemima
Kiss aunt Jemima
Wave poster [at boat in Unreal City]

This sums up to 550 points but because you are awarded twice for picking up the “smooth round stone” the max score sums up to 554 points.

Because you are missing 5 points my guess is that you are missing points from visiting a location. Do you have 140 points for “Visiting various places” in your “full score”?

Attached below are my map and my notes if anyone is interested.

Curses!.zip (47.1 KB) [EDIT: The first upload was with an old version of the map.]

2 Likes

It’s sad that the source code for this game probably is lost forever (as told by “The Digital Antiquarian” here, here and here).

If there ever is a restoration project for this, in my opinion one of the most important IF games, I would gladly contribute whatever I’m able to. But I think the restoration absolutely should be done in Inform and Inform is not my speciality…

1 Like

Wow! You are all amazing!

Way beyond me…