Cragne Manor walkthrough released by David Welbourn!

Cragne Manor is one of my top ten favorite games of all time. If you haven’t played it, about 80 authors (whoever wanted to at the time) got together and each made one room according to a general plan by Ryan Veeder and Jenni Polodna, then they were all stitched together.

It has a lot of gems in it, including a room by the author of Anchorhead, a subroom by Zarf that’s as big and polished as some of his full games, procedural content by Emily Short that affects the whole game, the only big chunk of IF ever written by the author of Violet outside Violet himself, and quite a few other incredible rooms. It also has tiny hardly-described rooms by first time authors. It’s incoherent and crazy.

Because of the plot structure, it can be hard to get to all of the rooms to have fun and poke around. This walkthrough has maps and all sorts of other stuff that make it way easier to get through.

Despite being an amazing game, only about 10 people have played and rated Cragne Manor on IFDB. I hope this gets more people able to experience the whole game!

12 Likes

Congratz to David. I feel like also throwing some credit to the other walkthroughs, though I think all are now linked on IFDB. There’s Alex Ball’s one (the so-called “multi-layered”) and the “Room by Room Guide” one that I don’t know who it’s by.

-Wade

2 Likes

It seems like there should be more than one walkthrough for CM, as people with different styles may have different ways to approach it.

I don’t suppose I can really give the game a rating, since I tested a bunch of the rooms and had fun, but when I played through it, it was neat to see how they fit together. It looks like I would’ve almost certainly played a whole chunk of rooms that got solved sequentially in a walkthrough (e.g. we pick a random 17 rooms from 85 a million times and see how many streaks there are/the longest streak), and now I’ll know for sure.

I’d love to be able to write a review if I can as well.

1 Like