Cracked reviews by fos1

This year’s IFComp is incredible! There are so many rich and wonderful games, I don’t know where to start. I decided to start with parser based games which are my favorite. That should cover about one third of the games from my scan through the Game Guide. I have started three games so far just for a start. Great quality. The competition is really good this year. It will be hard to rank anything short of 5 stars.

My game reviews will follow this header.

v/r
fos1

5 Likes

As expected, every game I have touched has been excellent. Trying to play everything on my Raspberry Pi, I ran into trouble with TADS games. Gargoyle for the RPi will not open TADS games. Qtads was a possibility and it is even in the Raspi OS repository. It installed but only “blinks” when started. Just can’t make it work. I un-installed the repository version and began to compile the source code. A lot of dependencies and permissions! I managed to compile SBL2 after another stack of dependencies and permissions. I then tried compiling qtads again. More dependencies resolved. It compiled without error!

Same result, when started, it “blinks”. :frowning:

Back to Win10 :frowning:

Don’t know if it’s available on Raspbian, but have you tried FrobTADS in a console? I’ve used it on other Linux distros before and it’s never caused a problem for me.

Hi Patrick,

Thank you for the suggestion. I did try Frob TADS on the RPi. It was problematic since the RPi is an ARM based system. That causes a problem for many applications. Since RaspiOS is based upon Debian, most apps eventually get ported over. A problem that has developed recently is the slow transition to a 64 bit kernel. The kernel is now 64 bit but userland is still 32 bit. Zilf no longer works under RaspOS but it will work in Debian. So far, I have been unable to make it work.

PS. I am so reluctant to post reviews. I tend to like just about everything and my reviews would be slanted in that direction. Just no confidence…

2 Likes

There’s plenty of good things to say about this year’s games, all right. :slight_smile:

Thank you for the update on Raspbian, too. I keep meaning to pull out the RPi I picked up last year and make something useful with it and I just haven’t gotten around to that project!

1 Like