Concept Box Art (for real or concept games!)

Yes, Marc in fact wrote some kind words, which was amazing!

The art style will be continued with Hibernated 2. The artist that created the artwork for part 1, also created an artwork for Hibernated 2, in 2019 already, based on what I told him about the plot at that time. We’ll be putting the artwork in an Infocom style box of course, exactly as we did with Hibernated 1.

Here’s the “raw” artwork that Ralph Niese, who was a well-known German comic artist, created for Hibernated 2.

I unfortunately have to say “was” because last year he passed away unexpectedly in his late 30s. We do have 3rd artwork though, which was actually not meant for Hibernated 3 but for a different game that never got released through PolyPlay and since it fits so well with the plot of the last entry of the Trilogy, we are going to use it for Hibernated 3, so that all three game artworks were done by Ralph. The third artwork kinda has an AMFV feel to it.

I intentionally am speaking of a trilogy, because before I even wrote the first line of code, I had a story in mind that would develop over the cause of three games. It just felt logical. So H1DC pretty much only is the intro, H2 will be on a far alien planet in the Andromeda galaxy and H3 will be back on Earth.

9 Likes

I found another parody cover on my hard drive that I made and forgot about…if anyone wants to make a game around it I would be thrilled.

3 Likes

That looks familiar. Isn’t that the image from an old 8-bit Paperboy game?

[…pause while I Google it…]

Ah, yes, it’s different to the Atari arcade machine, but looks the same as the Gameboy box art.

Yep, it’s from the Game Boy version of Paperboy. I guess I’m explaining the joke, but the font and color scheme are meant to be from “Papers Please.”

I’m imagining something like The Westport Independent (from the creators of Papers Please) but with either banal municipal politics or shlockly tabloid topics. I haven’t played Westport in full so I am not sure how much humor there is in the original.

Paperboy 64 had some good if juvenile absurdist humor. “Study finds children shorter than adults” etc.

2 Likes