Colossal Cave Adventure - Game Console Release

Colossal Cave Adventure by Ken and Roberta Williams was released for game consoles today. I purchased a copy for my Nintendo Switch. The graphics are pretty good. It has a narrator so it is not really 2nd person IF, but fun and seems to follow the text version as far as I have played.

It costs $40. More info at: Colossal Cave Adventure - Re-imagined

8 Likes

The trailer look pretty good! Wonder how the mazes are done?

2 Likes

Thanks for the reminder! I’ll try to get to it next week, once I’m done with my Spellbreaker stuff here. I wish RW good luck and success.

3 Likes

Consoles and PC/Mac/Linux, according to the web page. Thanks – I’ll take a look when I have a chance.

3 Likes

That was today?? Nice!!

3 Likes

$40 seems like a lot but it probably involved quite a development team.

I pretty much buy just about any commercial IF to show my support.

3 Likes

Waiting for them to sort the international Switch version out (they’re having some issues apparently) but I’m looking forward to having a go at this.

3 Likes

I wrote up my thoughts:

11 Likes

An excellent review. I find it nostalgic and have enjoyed my forays into the cave. I agree with everything Zarf mentioned in his review. I am not sure how this is (will be) marketed. I purchased the Nintendo Switch version and had to search for it. The game release popped up in my email box only because I follow things IF related. I’m not sure I would have noticed otherwise.

Even on the “news” app on the switch itself, it has never shown up as a new game to try out. Most significant new releases and even pretty minor ones are listed in the news. I don’t know whether or not game publishers have to pay to be in the switch news feed or not. If so, maybe that would a good idea for the Williams’. The switch screen seems to be a good format for the graphical version. I don’t have any other game consoles and I’m not really interested in buying another version.

Still, pretty good for an old curmudgeon like me but I still prefer the text version much more.

2 Likes

While looking for material for this post, I ran across this map which I hadn’t seen before:

Link

[The] map of Kentucky’s Mammoth Cave that was drawn from memory in 1842 by Stephen Bishop, an enslaved man who worked as a guide at the Cave. It was then published in 1845 by Morton & Griswold in Alexander Clark Bullitt’s “Rambles in the Mammoth Cave, During the Year 1844”

This does not contain the area described by Adventure, mind you.

4 Likes

Sometime ago, I stumbled across Rambles in the Mammoth Cave that included Stephen Bishop’s map. It was published in 1845.

The link is to Gutenberg Press. Note: This version was produced by Aaron Reed.

There are also a couple of more recent texts available at Amazon.

2 Likes