Code of Conduct applied to himself

I had the opportunity, thanks to @mulehollandaise, to read the code of conduct:

If You See a Problem, Flag It

Moderators have special authority; they are responsible for this forum. But so are you. With your help, moderators can be community facilitators, not just janitors or police.

Janitors and police will surely appreciate this.

It is very likely that I have misunderstood.

I have no idea what you mean by this, but I’m the one who pointed you to the code of conduct.

I think the idea is that, rather than the mods coming in after they see a problem and imposing their own interpretation of the rules - like janitors and police officers (in theory) cleaning up other people’s messes - if community members are active in flagging stuff they think violates the rules, the mods are being responsive to the community and helping create a positive space for discussion in line with what folks are actually saying they want (or don’t want).

It’s a nice thought, though of course could potentially run the risk of a small, self-interested clique abusing it to shut down top is or people they don’t like. Fortunately the vibes are usually pretty positive around here, which is why with the exception of one person initially willing to give your post the benefit of the doubt that it was only inadvertently coming off passive-aggressive, everyone who’s said anything about that post thought it was out of line.

(I’d count myself in that camp too, though since I was juggling a baby and a headache yesterday I didn’t report it. You seemed annoyed that a guy writing a free newsletter about obsolete video games was covering stuff he and his friends were doing? You’d have a point if he were handing out government contracts but since he isn’t that’s a deeply weird reason to get angry. If there’s other, better stuff out there he wasn’t covering, why not do your own thing to get it the attention it deserves?)

Edit: in the time it’s taken me to post this - still juggling the baby and an at least less-bad headache - I saw in your other thread that you also feel like he’s personally damaged your reputation. All the more reason not to drag that stuff here and get a reputation for starting fights!)

7 Likes

The code of conduct was brought to my attention by an automated message when my post was flagged as inappropriate.