Chloe Apple's IFComp 2024 Reviews!

It’s apparently that time of year again… it feels to me like it’s been only a few months since the last IFComp, but I’ve had a crazy year. During IFComp 2023, I reviewed 15 out of 75 games, or 20%. Not bad for a first year of reviewing, I think. However, I’m going to avoid making a goal of reviewing a certain number of games – this is just for fun, and I don’t want the stress of trying to play and review however many games to overshadow getting to play and explore them. Welcome to yap central, guys.

I’ll be focusing mainly on parser games, as I tend to enjoy those more than choice games, and I’m going to go through them primarily in order of my IFComp personal shuffle, in order to eliminate decision-making as much as possible :laughing:

The only game I definitely want to make sure I play is Under the Cognomen of Edgar Allen Poe by Jim Nelson; I loved his IFComp 2022 entry, According to Cain, so I’m eager to see how his work has developed.

Two logistical things: I won’t be posting my scores for individual games this year. I think I did that last year, but I’m still not completely confident in my scoring criteria (often scores are more vibes-based for me, and I’d like to have more concrete reasoning behind scores if I’m going to discuss them). Additionally, my reviews will be cross-posted to my tumblr. Figured I’d mention that so we avoid double-counting reviews :slight_smile:

That’s all for now! Happy comp season, everyone!

18 Likes

Traffic by D. S. Yu
Time played: About an hour
Completion: 2 out of maybe 3 endings? I got to the normal ending, a bit of a silly ending, and I know there’s a third ending that has a bit more substance, but I was satisfied with the run I had. Could be more “try it and find out” endings than the one I found, but I have no clue.

TLDR; Conceptually, I like this game a lot, but there were a few things that prevented me from enjoying the gameplay experience as much as I could have. Solid entry.

The writing: No noticeable typos or grammar errors, and the writing style is consistent, with some great touches of deadpan humor which I found entertaining. The characters were distinct enough to not be flat, even with the limited descriptions and interactions there are.

The gameplay: I love a time loop when done well, and I think the ability to change the timeline by switching perspectives is a really great way to keep the game engaging and interesting. I also enjoyed the variety of different puzzles – some based on interaction with others, some with the environment. It’s a small game, so there’s not very many, but none of them felt like reskinned versions of each other, which I appreciated.

The technical: I struggled a lot with interactions with other people. Different authors and engines do dialogue in many different ways, without an ABOUT or a HELP menu to explain how to talk to people or ask people things, I found myself blindly trying dialogue options, mostly to no avail. You can talk to people directly with the “person, verb” structure, or you can ask someone for something, but only rarely about anything, which I found unusual – an explanation of this early on would have gone a long way to alleviating some of the frustration I had.
The biggest problem I had was similar to the verb-guessing issue, but which probably would have made the game impossible for me to finish without the walkthrough; there are some objects which aren’t mentioned in the text (that I could find) but are required. This was most evident to me with the taxi, which I hadn’t seen in the text at all, but which was necessary to examine in order to continue. Examining the street it was on yielded no description beyond the direction the traffic was going, and I never would have known to look at it.
This is also applicable to the traffic puzzle, which was particularly aggravating to me for being much simpler than I thought it was. I’d go so far as to say it’s a bit misleading. I’ll spoiler this one for anyone who doesn’t want to see the solution: If you ask John about the panel, he explains how it works, and says you need to input the correct number to fix the traffic lights. The solution to this is to unscrew the panel (which has no mention of being screwed in) with a screwdriver you get from John (who doesn’t appear to have anything on him except a clipboard). The solution is NOT to do the math required to algebraically find the correct number needed (which is very possible, and requires only addition and subtraction). I chose the algebra on my first time around. Frustratingly, when you correctly solve this puzzle via screwdriver method and press a button to set the number, it gives a number which is different from the one you get when you do the math. I understand that this might be a serious case of me paying way too much attention to one thing, but I think given that the actual solution to the puzzle is much less obvious than the one which requires the player to do algebra with a pen and paper, it might as well have been a puzzle with two different ways to get to the same solution. If the number provided in the game matched the one you get with the correct math, this wouldn’t have been nearly as annoying to me, but the in-game math being wrong in conjunction with the puzzle having completely unmentioned components drove me kind of bonkers.

Misc notes: Don’t sell yourself short! Saying things like “this game is unlikely to change your life in any meaningful way” in the description of the game won’t do you any favors in convincing people to play it. It’s a well-written game, and only a few edits short of being something really polished. You should be proud of it. Plus, when combined with the depressing attitude of the main character, the game starts to feel a little too dreary, in my opinion. Despite my algebra rant, I did like this game a lot, and I’m really glad it was the first entry I tried this year! It’s setting a good bar for the rest of the parser games.

12 Likes

Doing a bit of a speed round this weekend; I’m a few hours from home on a weekend trip, so I’m going to make my way through some of the shorter games that will work on my phone :slight_smile: also, don’t mind the fact that I’m not formatting reviews identically. I’m testing some things out

House of Wolves by Shruti Deo
Playtime: 15-30 minutes; four or five runthroughs of the entire thing

TLDR; I’m struggling to determine what exactly the message of this one is. Polished with some good elements, but I mostly just felt confused at the end.

Presentation: Design-wise, I think Deo made great decisions with the colors, and the descriptive writing is definitely the strength of the piece. No bugs or technical errors.

Depth: I really do like the writing style. You can feel the fatigue of the narrator, and the “bite. Chew. Swallow” sequences were effective and disconcerting. However, the game doesn’t Ali need to improvereally go anywhere? I didn’t feel like the plot ever developed, and the hyperlinks merely present the illusion of choice. The last, suddenly hopeful slide, is ineffective after three in-game days of nearly-identical scenes of hopelessness.

Ultimately, the story describes a character forced to live out the same, painful routine, every single day, with no way out. Despite this, they hold onto some hope that someday something will be different. We live a small snapshot of their life, but are incapable of changing anything. It’s interact fiction, sure, but it falls pretty flat. The ending frustrates me, and I honestly don’t understand how the reader is supposed to believe in hope after being shown that they can’t change anything in a hopeless situation. Deo is clearly a great writer, but I think this piece was lacking in directive.

7 Likes

Speed run continues, this time with even shorter reviews!

Metallic Red by Riaz Moola

I really enjoyed this story; I thought the author did a fantastic job of hinting to the major events of the story without making the player feel completely out of touch. I loved seeing the different tabs on the computer and being able to figure out the thought processes the main character had while using the computer. Worth a replay to fully understand the first few bits of foreshadowing. Excellent use of timed text. Also, I loveeee the pixel art cover image. Overall a very positive experience.

6 Likes

Where Nothing is Ever Named by Viktor Sobol

Went in blind to this (have never read or otherwise experienced an adaptation of the chapter of Through the Looking Glass which inspired his piece) and was totally fine. Not difficult to figure out the concept. Low stakes but with enough feeling of urgency. Great in-game hints as to what something might be if you’re stuck. Very short, more of a proof of concept than a game, but clever, enjoyable, and as polished as a game this small can be.

7 Likes

You by Carter X Gwertzman

Very cute game with simple, clever little puzzles. The lack of information about edible items is remedied by the extremely forgiving nature of the game (once you’ve picked a mushroom it never is depleted). I think perhaps the snake skin description was changing when it shouldn’t have been? Like when I moved rooms, the color of the snake skin seemed to change, but it would always read as the correct color it had been when shed if I gave it to the couple, so functioned fine internally afaik. Favorite thing is that I think it would be quite a good game for children, which is always exciting to see in IF spaces.

6 Likes

The Maze Gallery by multiple authors (!!)

I attempted to play through this twice; the first time, I encountered a game-ending glitch in the Gift Shop (looking at the nebula too early, I guess?) and the second time in the Hungry Room (while talking to Heiro, he asked “Now, are you interested? Ede promises to be gracious,” and I responded favorably, which froze the game in the same way the nebula bug does). Both of these rooms are in the last quarter of the game, which leads me to think that perhaps the testing and editing towards the end may have been a bit rushed? Still, I used up my two hours with those two playthroughs, so it was a bit disappointing not to be able to see the end before judging, when I came quite close both times.

Non-game breaking bugs include the directory popping up no matter which menu item (self, goals, map) I selected; this definitely occured when the game-breaking glitches happened, but I didn’t have time to test it elsewhere. So… that’s a bit strange as well. Additionally, I found that at some point (perhaps once I had progressed past the section of the game the History Room is technically found in?), I was unable to talk to the NPCs in the History Room - the option was there, but clicking it didn’t do anything.

To me, the biggest highlight of this game was the writing and implementation of the characters within the museum. The NPCs which appear at various points during the game are dynamic, and I really enjoyed the added interactivity learning about them and their lives added without also adding to the puzzles. When your eyes start to glaze over the massive paragraph descriptions in each room, interacting with those characters added some much-needed life to the game.

While The Maze Gallery is impressively cohesive for having as many contributors as it does, the multiple bugs I encountered took away from my ability to stay immersed within the game. I think though, that with another round of editing and testing, it could become a game I’d easily recommend.

10 Likes

Uninteractive Fiction by Leah Thargic

I think we’ve all figured out at this point that this is an entry designed to get last place. Kudos for the silly author name, but I’ll refrain from voting for this one, I think.

6 Likes

An Account of Your Visit to the Enchanted House & What You Found There by Mandy Benanav

This game is listed as being about two hours long, but it only took me an hour to play through the whole thing. I confess I’m a bit on the faster side when it comes to reading, though!

Enchanted House, as I will refer to it, was a delightful experience. It’s cozy and atmospheric, and I was in awe of Benanav’s writing (even more so when I found out they were a debut author!). When the taxi driver’s complexion was compared to wilted lettuce, I knew I was in for a wonderful ride.

The game opens with the player arriving at a house with no idea why they’ve been invited there. Figuring that out is their mission, which is accomplished by exploring the house and meeting its many denizens. There are a few puzzles, but most are easily solved by thoroughly exploring and interacting with the game. I found great joy in mediating disputes between ghosts and furniture, figuring out the best way to befriend a mess, and looking at the titles of every book in the library (the combination of real-world titles and in-game literature was probably my favorite part of exploring the house). The mechanics all seemed to work perfectly, and my only disappointment was found in reaching the end; I would eagerly explore a house ten times the size of the one in the game, so long as it was as richly-described as this one is. As it is, however, I prefer a game being this polished and complete, with the time taken to make each room as lively as it can be, to one which falls short, either in terms of enjoyment or mechanics, due to overambition.

While certainly not as grand in scope as some comp games are, this one scores high points for its polish and the enjoyment I had while playing it. I hope we have more to look forward to from Mandy Benanaz in the future!

7 Likes

I actually don’t think you can get a correct number by doing the math. There’s four equations with four variables, but they don’t determine a unique number. You can find out that C = A + 30, D = A + 90, and B = 1100 - A. But that’s it. A = 0, C = 30, D = 90, B = 1100 is a possible solution, but so is A = 1000, C = 1030, D = 1090, B = 100. I found the ‘real’ solution to the puzzle utterly underclued, though, just like you!

3 Likes

Yup. I suspect the way that the author thought you’d find it is that if you happen to type help it’ll say wouldn’t that be nice but you have to ask a person for help, and if you ask John for help (several times!) he’ll eventually tell you the screwdriver solution and offer his up. But that feels like several coincidences too far. There are also two other solutions, but they’re similarly hard to find. Needed more testers and clues…

3 Likes