Chat GPT-3 has opinions on games

A lot of commentary about Chat GPT-3 focuses on its weaknesses, which are considerable and enough to render it unacceptable as a source of truth, but what it does is still impressive. Even if it is filled with hackneyed and clichéd phrasing:

write a fictional sportscast about a game of portal

The Portal Arena is packed tonight as fans from both Aperture Science and Black Mesa cheer on their favorite teams. The game is about to start, and the players take their positions on the field.

For Aperture Science, we have GLaDOS, the team captain and star player. She is known for her quick thinking and strategic use of the portal gun. Her teammates include Wheatley, the lovable, bumbling robot, and the ever-loyal turrets.

On the other side, Black Mesa has brought out their heavy hitters: Gordon Freeman, the quiet but deadly physicist, and Alyx Vance, the skilled hacker and fighter. They are joined by Barney, the stalwart security guard, and Dog, the powerful robot companion.

The game begins, and both teams are evenly matched. GLaDOS and Gordon Freeman exchange shots with their portal guns, creating a dizzying array of portals and traps on the field. Wheatley and Alyx Vance use their agility and teamwork to navigate the obstacles and score points.

But as the game progresses, GLaDOS begins to gain the upper hand. She uses her superior intelligence to outsmart her opponents and create a series of impenetrable portals. Wheatley and the turrets provide backup, and Aperture Science starts to pull ahead.

Black Mesa is not giving up without a fight, however. Gordon Freeman uses his quick reflexes and expert portal placement to create openings in GLaDOS’s defenses. Alyx Vance and Barney provide support, and Dog uses his strength and speed to power through the obstacles.

The game is intense, and the crowd is on the edge of their seats. The score is close, but in the end, it’s Aperture Science who comes out on top. GLaDOS raises her portal gun in victory, and the fans erupt in cheers.

It was a thrilling game, and both teams gave it their all. But in the end, it was Aperture Science who proved to be the superior team. Congratulations to them, and better luck next time to Black Mesa. This is [Your Name], signing off from the Portal Arena.

3 Likes

From the transcript:

“I am the Counterfeit Monkey,” the voice replies, “and I’m the greatest counterfeiter the world has ever known. I’ve been using this laboratory to produce the most perfect counterfeits money can buy, and now you’ve stumbled upon my operation.”

Perhaps Emily Short should have consulted ChatGPT-3 before she tried to write her own IF.

5 Likes

Has anyone tried asking it to specifically answer with citations?

1 Like

I asked before wishing for it here! :slight_smile:

There may be a magic phrase, but I’ve asked in several ways and get a variant of

As a large language model, I have been trained on a vast amount of text data, including information about “Spellbreaker” and other interactive fiction games. It is not possible to say exactly what information was used in my training, but it is likely that I have been exposed to descriptions, reviews, and other information about “Spellbreaker” through various online sources. My responses are generated based on this training data and the prompts provided by the user.

Being a for-profit company probably influences/constrains their choices re: what/how much/how faithfully they share/replicate knowledge from outside sources. I really have no idea, though.

3 Likes

I just totally ignored my request for citations, but at least it gave me this:

A third theme that was present in many INFOCOM games was the potential dangers of uncontrolled technological advancement. Many of the games featured powerful technologies that were either out of control or being used in dangerous ways. For example, in the game “Planetfall,” the player must navigate a world in which a powerful AI known as “Floyd” has gone rogue and is causing chaos. The game explores the potential consequences of allowing a technology to become too powerful, and the need for careful regulation and oversight of such technologies.

7 Likes

You know what, I’m seeing some potential in this software. It’s bad if you want answers, but it’s pretty decent if you want some ideas to work with when writing (interactive) fiction. A prompt like this:

actually works quite well. I mean, it’s not ready-to-use at all (repetitive, full of clichés), but it can certainly get your creative juices flowing.

8 Likes

Alternate history Planetfall. Bow down before Overlord Floyd!

3 Likes

Puzzle development ideas can be researched as well…

5 Likes

I think it was trained on data from humans who hate rectangles and will grant rectangles nothing.

-Wade

7 Likes

Bunch of squares.

10 Likes

Aren’t squares just a type of rectangle? Why can’t we all just get along??

Won’t someone please think of the polygons!?
28a6j7

2 Likes
heh... *an error occurred*

Annalee Newitz: "I'm back on my bullshit with #GPTCHat tonight. #c…" - The Wandering Shop

5 Likes

I’ve played around with getting location descriptions and puzzle ideas and I’m fairly certain that we’ll be able to create text adventures with basic ChatGPT inputs in the near future. Boundaries shouldn’t be too hard to describe. The tea machine in Shadow in the Cathedral might be out of range, but a lot of basic puzzles would be within the realm of possibility. And ChatGPT has the built-in capability of shuffling the deck without changing the premise or plot.

My brain is breaking.

Try this:

Describe a text adventure location in a forest where only heading east is a viable option. Attempting to move in any other direction results in a humorous accident, putting you back in the initial location.

3 Likes

Perhaps I should enter some of these in SeedComp!

Some possible funny names for a text adventure game include:

• The Adventures of Captain Clueless
  • The Quest for the Missing Plot
  • The Great Texty Adventure
  • The Secret of the Non-Existent Treasure
  • The Misadventures of Inspector Oblivious
  • The Curse of the Inconsistent Storyline
  • The Search for the Elusive Endgame
  • The Legend of the Glitchy Keyboard
  • The Mystery of the Disappearing Characters
  • The Treasure Hunt for the Lost Semicolon
  • The Journey to the Land of the Inconsistent Tenses
3 Likes

Hmm…or you could try Nitku’s Name Generator, which mashes up beginnings and endings from existing IF games (see for instance this thread: IF Name Generator updated)

3 Likes

----wipes tears from eyes----

Oh man… Thanks for pointing out that thread. Hilariousness all around.

Most groanworthy:

9 Likes
create a tower of hanoi puzzle with 5 disks in inform7
"The Tower of Hanoi Puzzle" by Assistant

The Puzzle Room is a room. "You find yourself in a small, dimly-lit room. In the center of the room, there is a large, intricately carved wooden tower with three pegs. The tower has five disks of varying sizes, each with a different symbol carved into it. The disks are stacked on the first peg, with the largest disk at the bottom and the smallest at the top. Above the tower, there is a sign that reads 'To solve the puzzle, move the disks from the first peg to the third peg in the correct order, without placing a larger disk on top of a smaller one.'"

The Tower is an object in the Puzzle Room. The Tower is fixed in place and cannot be moved.

The description of the Tower is "The tower is a large, intricately carved wooden structure with three pegs. The disks are stacked on the first peg, with the largest at the bottom and the smallest at the top."

The Disks are objects in the Tower. The Disks are fixed in place and cannot be moved.

The description of the Disks is "The disks are made of wood and are carved with intricate symbols. They are arranged in a stack on the first peg, with the largest at the bottom and the smallest at the top."

Looks like it has no problems creating puzzles of the cruel variety either :stuck_out_tongue:.

The Disks are fixed in place and cannot be moved.
4 Likes

Solve the “Cragne Manor” game in inform7.

An error occurred. If this issue persists please contact us through our help center at help.openai.com.

Well I guess some things are too much LOLOLOL.

6 Likes

I can’t get Chat GPT to tell me anything about Infocom games. It just says something to the effect of “I’m sorry, but I’m not able to browse the internet and therefore do not have information about specific games.”

1 Like

I tend to get better results when I ask Chat GPT to “discuss” something or “write an essay” or something like that. Just try not to sound like you’re asking for just plain facts.

For instance, “discuss some of the overarching themes in infocom games.”

1 Like