Changing default source text colors

Hi there!

I’m working through some tutorials before I start on my first game in earnest, and I was wondering if there’s a way to change the default colors in the source text. My eyes aren’t what they could be, and it’s hard for me to read the pale purple text inside square brackets. (It’s especially hard to see which way the brackets are pointing!) Sometimes it’s even difficult to tell the pale purple from the pale blue of text in quotes.

It would be so much easier for me to work if I could find a way to change the colors of my quoted and bracketed text - maybe to red and green or something? I’ve found plenty of questions and responses about changing colors in the finished game, but nothing about changing source text colors,

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

The Inform 7 IDE lets you set your own colors. I use the Windows version, so this may vary for you, but to change the appearance of the source text in the current build, open the Edit menu, select Preferences, and look under the header Syntax Highlighting (I know – confusing). This allows you to set size and color of the text (“substitutions” in this case).

This is the latest build by David Kinder, but hopefully it should be the same for previous versions.

1 Like

On MacOS it’s under: Inform->Preferences->Edit

(Inform 7 build 6M62, MacOS Catalina 10.15.4)

1 Like

Interesting. I’m on Windows, and my Preferences are under File. There’s no Syntax Highlighting header in that window. In About Inform, it says I’m on a version from 23rd February, 2018; 6M62. I think I downloaded it from the main Inform page in early December. (Time flies!)

Thanks for your help. I’ll keep looking.

I recommend you try the latest version of the I7 IDE for Windows, at https://github.com/DavidKinder/Windows-Inform7/releases/download/6m62_w64_b1/I7_6M62_Windows.exe.

Thanks. I redownloaded the IDE, and things are going much better. I can change my source colors now. :slight_smile:

Piggybacking on my old thread rather than starting a new one…

The version of the IDE linked above changes color settings as expected, but I’ve found that the Index tab is blank, and none of its internal tabs show anything. I downloaded (Windows) from the official downloads page as well, but I have the same problem there.

I feel like it’s probably possible to make a game without using the Index tab, but I’m new to this, and I think it would be a big help. Does anyone have any ideas?

Have you tried compiling a game first? In the IDE, the index tabs are blank until you first compile a rudimentary game, like “Lab is room.”

2 Likes

Ohhhhh. Now I feel a little dumb. :slight_smile: Thanks!