'Cannot read property' notification on launch

Hello all!
I am relatively new to Twine, having recently published my first game as part of the game jam. I made it using Twine version 2.2.1 with Sugarcube 2.21.0 format.
I’ve never studied CSS or JavaScript before getting into Twine, so for most of the game features I simply borrowed other people’s solutions and modified them to fit my needs. One of the features I wanted was the ‘typing’ animation for text appearance. I’ve found Typed.js and have integrated it into the JavaScript section of the game. Then I used following syntaxys to implement it in the game:

<div class="typed-speed20">my text</div>

It worked as intended, but after adding Typed.js module an error message started to pop up on the game launch:

Ater closing the notification game seems to run as normal. I was unable to find any notes on similar problems.
Can you please help me figuring out the sourse of the problem and solving it?
Any help would be greately appreciated!

As far as the error goes, it’s pretty much what it says. Some code in your project is attempting to access the .innerHTML property of an element node that doesn’t actually exist.

How exactly did you integrate Typed.js into the JavaScript section?

I downloaded typed.js integration mudule archive from here: http://www.motoslave.net/sugarcube/2/, then followed the instrutions (opened contents of a typedjs-integration-module.min.js file, copied its contents into Story JavaScript), then added code from here: https://mattboldt.github.io/typed.js/ to the Story JavaScript. I left them as they are, no changes.

The code from the site:

var typed = new Typed("#typed", {
    stringsElement: '#typed-strings',
    typeSpeed: 0,
    backSpeed: 0,
    backDelay: 500,
    startDelay: 1000,
    loop: false,
    onComplete: function(self) { prettyLog('onCmplete ' + self) },
    preStringTyped: function(pos, self) { prettyLog('preStringTyped ' + pos + ' ' + self); },
    onStringTyped: function(pos, self) { prettyLog('onStringTyped ' + pos + ' ' + self) },
    onLastStringBackspaced: function(self) { prettyLog('onLastStringBackspaced ' + self) },
    onTypingPaused: function(pos, self) { prettyLog('onTypingPaused ' + pos + ' ' + self) },
    onTypingResumed: function(pos, self) { prettyLog('onTypingResumed ' + pos + ' ' + self) },
    onReset: function(self) { prettyLog('onReset ' + self) },
    onStop: function(pos, self) { prettyLog('onStop ' + pos + ' ' + self) },
    onStart: function(pos, self) { prettyLog('onStart ' + pos + ' ' + self) },
    onDestroy: function(self) { prettyLog('onDestroy ' + self) }
  });

The integration module from the archive file:

/*! typed.js integration module for SugarCube */
!function(){"use strict";function getInlineOptions(classNames){var options={},typedRe=/^typed(?:-(\w+))+\b$/,parseRe=/-(speed|delay)(\d+)\b/g,match=void 0;if("typed"!==classNames)for(var classOpts=classNames.toLowerCase().split(/\s+/),i=0;i<classOpts.length;++i)if(typedRe.test(classOpts[i])){for(;null!==(match=parseRe.exec(classOpts[i]));)switch(match[1]){case"speed":options.typeSpeed=Number(match[2]);break;case"delay":options.startDelay=Number(match[2])}break}return options}function typedCallbackFactory(el,callback){return function(){var $outer=jQuery(el),$inner=jQuery('<div class="typedjs-text-wrapper" style="display:block;position:absolute;left:0;top:0;"><span class="typed"></span></div>'),$source=$outer.children('[class|="typed"]'),options=jQuery.extend({strings:["^0 "+$source.html()],typeSpeed:40,startDelay:400,onComplete:function(){$inner.children(".typed-cursor").remove(),callback()},
preStringTyped:function(){jQuery.event.trigger(":typedstart")},
onStringTyped:function(){jQuery.event.trigger(":typedstop")}},
getInlineOptions($source.attr("class")));
$outer.append($inner),
	new Typed($inner.children()[0],options)}}postrender[":typedSetupHandler"]=function(content){jQuery(content).find('[class|="typed"]').addClass("typed").css("visibility","hidden").wrap('<div class="typedjs-outer-wrapper" style="display:block;position:relative;"></div>')},
	postdisplay[":typedAnimationHandler"]=function(){var $elements=jQuery("#passages .typedjs-outer-wrapper");
																									 if(0!==$elements.length){for(var callback=function(){jQuery.event.trigger(":typedcomplete")},
																																								i=$elements.length-1;
																																								i>=0;
																																								--i)callback=typedCallbackFactory($elements[i],callback);
																																						callback()}}}();
!function(){
/*!
 *   typed.js - A JavaScript Typing Animation Library
 *   Author: Matt Boldt <me@mattboldt.com>
 *   Version: v2.0.6
 *   Url: https://github.com/mattboldt/typed.js
 *   License(s): MIT
 */
(function(t,e){"object"==typeof exports&&"object"==typeof module?module.exports=e():"function"==typeof define&&define.amd?define([],e):"object"==typeof exports?exports.Typed=e():t.Typed=e()})(this,function(){return function(t){function e(n){if(s[n])return s[n].exports;
var i=s[n]={exports:{},id:n,loaded:!1};return t[n].call(i.exports,i,i.exports,e),i.loaded=!0,i.exports}var s={};return e.m=t,e.c=s,e.p="",e(0)}([function(t,e,s){"use strict";function n(t,e){if(!(t instanceof e))throw new TypeError("Cannot call a class as a function")}Object.defineProperty(e,"__esModule",{value:!0});var i=function(){function t(t,e){for(var s=0;s<e.length;s++){var n=e[s];n.enumerable=n.enumerable||!1,n.configurable=!0,"value"in n&&(n.writable=!0),Object.defineProperty(t,n.key,n)}}return function(e,s,n){return s&&t(e.prototype,s),n&&t(e,n),e}}(),r=s(1),o=s(3),a=function(){function t(e,s){n(this,t),r.initializer.load(this,s,e),this.begin()}return i(t,[{key:"toggle",value:function(){this.pause.status?this.start():this.stop()}},{key:"stop",value:function(){this.typingComplete||this.pause.status||(this.toggleBlinking(!0),this.pause.status=!0,this.options.onStop(this.arrayPos,this))}},{key:"start",value:function(){this.typingComplete||this.pause.status&&(this.pause.status=!1,this.pause.typewrite?this.typewrite(this.pause.curString,this.pause.curStrPos):this.backspace(this.pause.curString,this.pause.curStrPos),this.options.onStart(this.arrayPos,this))}},{key:"destroy",value:function(){this.reset(!1),this.options.onDestroy(this)}},{key:"reset",value:function(){var t=arguments.length<=0||void 0===arguments[0]||arguments[0];clearInterval(this.timeout),this.replaceText(""),this.cursor&&this.cursor.parentNode&&(this.cursor.parentNode.removeChild(this.cursor),this.cursor=null),this.strPos=0,this.arrayPos=0,this.curLoop=0,t&&(this.insertCursor(),this.options.onReset(this),this.begin())}},{key:"begin",value:function(){var t=this;this.typingComplete=!1,this.shuffleStringsIfNeeded(this),this.insertCursor(),this.bindInputFocusEvents&&this.bindFocusEvents(),this.timeout=setTimeout(function(){t.currentElContent&&0!==t.currentElContent.length?t.backspace(t.currentElContent,t.currentElContent.length):t.typewrite(t.strings[t.sequence[t.arrayPos]],t.strPos)},this.startDelay)}},{key:"typewrite",value:function(t,e){var s=this;this.fadeOut&&this.el.classList.contains(this.fadeOutClass)&&(this.el.classList.remove(this.fadeOutClass),this.cursor&&this.cursor.classList.remove(this.fadeOutClass));var n=this.humanizer(this.typeSpeed),i=1;return this.pause.status===!0?void this.setPauseStatus(t,e,!0):void(this.timeout=setTimeout(function(){e=o.htmlParser.typeHtmlChars(t,e,s);var n=0,r=t.substr(e);if("^"===r.charAt(0)&&/^\^\d+/.test(r)){var a=1;r=/\d+/.exec(r)[0],a+=r.length,n=parseInt(r),s.temporaryPause=!0,s.options.onTypingPaused(s.arrayPos,s),t=t.substring(0,e)+t.substring(e+a),s.toggleBlinking(!0)}if("`"===r.charAt(0)){for(;"`"!==t.substr(e+i).charAt(0)&&(i++,!(e+i>t.length)););var u=t.substring(0,e),l=t.substring(u.length+1,e+i),c=t.substring(e+i+1);t=u+l+c,i--}s.timeout=setTimeout(function(){s.toggleBlinking(!1),e===t.length?s.doneTyping(t,e):s.keepTyping(t,e,i),s.temporaryPause&&(s.temporaryPause=!1,s.options.onTypingResumed(s.arrayPos,s))},n)},n))}},{key:"keepTyping",value:function(t,e,s){0===e&&(this.toggleBlinking(!1),this.options.preStringTyped(this.arrayPos,this)),e+=s;var n=t.substr(0,e);this.replaceText(n),this.typewrite(t,e)}},{key:"doneTyping",value:function(t,e){var s=this;this.options.onStringTyped(this.arrayPos,this),this.toggleBlinking(!0),this.arrayPos===this.strings.length-1&&(this.complete(),this.loop===!1||this.curLoop===this.loopCount)||(this.timeout=setTimeout(function(){s.backspace(t,e)},this.backDelay))}},{key:"backspace",value:function(t,e){var s=this;if(this.pause.status===!0)return void this.setPauseStatus(t,e,!0);if(this.fadeOut)return this.initFadeOut();this.toggleBlinking(!1);var n=this.humanizer(this.backSpeed);this.timeout=setTimeout(function(){e=o.htmlParser.backSpaceHtmlChars(t,e,s);var n=t.substr(0,e);if(s.replaceText(n),s.smartBackspace){var i=s.strings[s.arrayPos+1];i&&n===i.substr(0,e)?s.stopNum=e:s.stopNum=0}e>s.stopNum?(e--,s.backspace(t,e)):e<=s.stopNum&&(s.arrayPos++,s.arrayPos===s.strings.length?(s.arrayPos=0,s.options.onLastStringBackspaced(),s.shuffleStringsIfNeeded(),s.begin()):s.typewrite(s.strings[s.sequence[s.arrayPos]],e))},n)}},{key:"complete",value:function(){this.options.onComplete(this),this.loop?this.curLoop++:this.typingComplete=!0}},{key:"setPauseStatus",value:function(t,e,s){this.pause.typewrite=s,this.pause.curString=t,this.pause.curStrPos=e}},{key:"toggleBlinking",value:function(t){if(this.cursor&&!this.pause.status&&this.cursorBlinking!==t){this.cursorBlinking=t;var e=t?"infinite":0;this.cursor.style.animationIterationCount=e}}},{key:"humanizer",value:function(t){return Math.round(Math.random()*t/2)+t}},{key:"shuffleStringsIfNeeded",value:function(){this.shuffle&&(this.sequence=this.sequence.sort(function(){return Math.random()-.5}))}},{key:"initFadeOut",value:function(){var t=this;return this.el.className+=" "+this.fadeOutClass,this.cursor&&(this.cursor.className+=" "+this.fadeOutClass),setTimeout(function(){t.arrayPos++,t.replaceText(""),t.strings.length>t.arrayPos?t.typewrite(t.strings[t.sequence[t.arrayPos]],0):(t.typewrite(t.strings[0],0),t.arrayPos=0)},this.fadeOutDelay)}},{key:"replaceText",value:function(t){this.attr?this.el.setAttribute(this.attr,t):this.isInput?this.el.value=t:"html"===this.contentType?this.el.innerHTML=t:this.el.textContent=t}},
	{key:"bindFocusEvents",
	value:function(){var t=this;
									 this.isInput&&(this.el.addEventListener("focus",function(e){t.stop()}),this.el.addEventListener("blur",function(e){t.el.value&&0!==t.el.value.length||t.start()}))}},{key:"insertCursor",value:function(){this.showCursor&&(this.cursor||(this.cursor=document.createElement("span"),this.cursor.className="typed-cursor",this.cursor.innerHTML=this.cursorChar,this.el.parentNode&&this.el.parentNode.insertBefore(this.cursor,this.el.nextSibling)))}}]),t}();e["default"]=a,t.exports=e["default"]},function(t,e,s){"use strict";function n(t){return t&&t.__esModule?t:{"default":t}}function i(t,e){if(!(t instanceof e))throw new TypeError("Cannot call a class as a function")}Object.defineProperty(e,"__esModule",{value:!0});var r=Object.assign||function(t){for(var e=1;e<arguments.length;e++){var s=arguments[e];for(var n in s)Object.prototype.hasOwnProperty.call(s,n)&&(t[n]=s[n])}return t},o=function(){function t(t,e){for(var s=0;s<e.length;s++){var n=e[s];n.enumerable=n.enumerable||!1,n.configurable=!0,"value"in n&&(n.writable=!0),Object.defineProperty(t,n.key,n)}}return function(e,s,n){return s&&t(e.prototype,s),n&&t(e,n),e}}(),a=s(2),u=n(a),l=function(){function t(){i(this,t)}return o(t,[{key:"load",value:function(t,e,s){if("string"==typeof s?t.el=document.querySelector(s):t.el=s,t.options=r({},u["default"],e),
t.isInput="input"===t.el.tagName.toLowerCase(),
t.attr=t.options.attr,
t.bindInputFocusEvents=t.options.bindInputFocusEvents,
t.showCursor=!t.isInput&&t.options.showCursor,
t.cursorChar=t.options.cursorChar,
t.cursorBlinking=!0,
t.elContent=t.attr?t.el.getAttribute(t.attr):t.el.textContent,
t.contentType=t.options.contentType,
t.typeSpeed=t.options.typeSpeed,
t.startDelay=t.options.startDelay,
t.backSpeed=t.options.backSpeed,
t.smartBackspace=t.options.smartBackspace,
t.backDelay=t.options.backDelay,
t.fadeOut=t.options.fadeOut,
t.fadeOutClass=t.options.fadeOutClass,
t.fadeOutDelay=t.options.fadeOutDelay,
t.isPaused=!1,
t.strings=t.options.strings.map(function(t){return t.trim()}),
"string"==typeof t.options.stringsElement?t.stringsElement=document.querySelector(t.options.stringsElement):t.stringsElement=t.options.stringsElement,
t.stringsElement){t.strings=[],
t.stringsElement.style.display="none";
var n=Array.prototype.slice.apply(t.stringsElement.children),
		i=n.length;
									if(i)for(var o=0;o<i;o+=1){var a=n[o];
t.strings.push(a.innerHTML.trim())}}t.strPos=0,												t.arrayPos=0,
t.stopNum=0,
t.loop=t.options.loop,
t.loopCount=t.options.loopCount,
t.curLoop=0,
t.shuffle=t.options.shuffle,
t.sequence=[],
t.pause={status:!1,typewrite:!0,curString:"",curStrPos:0},
t.typingComplete=!1;for(var o in t.strings)t.sequence[o]=o;
t.currentElContent=this.getCurrentElContent(t),
t.autoInsertCss=t.options.autoInsertCss,this.appendAnimationCss(t)}},
{key:"getCurrentElContent",value:function(t){var e="";return e=t.attr?t.el.getAttribute(t.attr):t.isInput?t.el.value:"html"===t.contentType?t.el.innerHTML:t.el.textContent}},
{key:"appendAnimationCss",
 value:function(t){if(t.autoInsertCss&&t.showCursor&&t.fadeOut){var e=document.createElement("style");e.type="text/css";var s="";t.showCursor&&(s+="\n        .typed-cursor{\n          opacity: 1;\n          animation: typedjsBlink 0.7s infinite;\n          -webkit-animation: typedjsBlink 0.7s infinite;\n                  animation: typedjsBlink 0.7s infinite;\n        }\n        @keyframes typedjsBlink{\n          50% { opacity: 0.0; }\n        }\n        @-webkit-keyframes typedjsBlink{\n          0% { opacity: 1; }\n          50% { opacity: 0.0; }\n          100% { opacity: 1; }\n        }\n      "),t.fadeOut&&(s+="\n        .typed-fade-out{\n          opacity: 0;\n          transition: opacity .25s;\n          -webkit-animation: 0;\n                  animation: 0;\n        }\n      "),
	0!==e.length&&(e.innerHTML=s,document.head.appendChild(e))}}}]),t}();e["default"]=l;var c=new l;e.initializer=c},															function(t,e)
{"use strict";Object.defineProperty(e,"__esModule",{value:!0});var s={strings:["These are the default values...","You know what you should do?","Use your own!","Have a great day!"],
stringsElement:null,
typeSpeed:0,
startDelay:0,
backSpeed:0,
smartBackspace:!0,
shuffle:!1,
backDelay:700,
fadeOut:!1,
fadeOutClass:"typed-fade-out",
fadeOutDelay:500,
loop:!1,
loopCount:1/0,
showCursor:0,
cursorChar:"|",
autoInsertCss:!0,
attr:null,bindInputFocusEvents:!1,
contentType:"html",
onComplete:function(t){},
preStringTyped:function(t,e){},
onStringTyped:function(t,e){},
onLastStringBackspaced:function(t){},
onTypingPaused:function(t,e){},
onTypingResumed:function(t,e){},
onReset:function(t){},
onStop:function(t,e){},
onStart:function(t,e){},
onDestroy:function(t){}};e["default"]=s,t.exports=e["default"]},function(t,e){"use strict";function s(t,e){if(!(t instanceof e))throw new TypeError("Cannot call a class as a function")}Object.defineProperty(e,"__esModule",{value:!0});var n=function(){function t(t,e){for(var s=0;s<e.length;s++){var n=e[s];n.enumerable=n.enumerable||!1,n.configurable=!0,"value"in n&&(n.writable=!0),Object.defineProperty(t,n.key,n)}}return function(e,s,n){return s&&t(e.prototype,s),n&&t(e,n),e}}(),i=function(){function t(){s(this,t)}return n(t,[{key:"typeHtmlChars",value:function(t,e,s){if("html"!==s.contentType)return e;var n=t.substr(e).charAt(0);if("<"===n||"&"===n){var i="";for(i="<"===n?">":";";t.substr(e+1).charAt(0)!==i&&(e++,!(e+1>t.length)););e++}return e}},{key:"backSpaceHtmlChars",value:function(t,e,s){if("html"!==s.contentType)return e;var n=t.substr(e).charAt(0);if(">"===n||";"===n){var i="";for(i=">"===n?"<":"&";t.substr(e-1).charAt(0)!==i&&(e--,!(e<0)););e--}return e}}]),t}();e["default"]=i;var r=new i;e.htmlParser=r}])});
//# sourceMappingURL=typed.min.js.map
}.call(window);

I’ve realized that the original error notification looks like this:

This is the one I got after copy-pasting integration module as it was. The ‘innerHTML’ notification appeared after I commented some lines in the code in attempt to hotfix this.

Sorry for the misleading information at the original post!

The module from SugarCube’s website includes the Typed.js library, so if you’re using it, then you do not want to attempt to add the library again—as noted in its documentation: (Typed.js is already bundled with this package).

Try removing the version from the Typed website.

1 Like

I removed the code from the website, and the notification disappeared! I should have figure this out by myself through the trial and error…
Thank you for your help, you’re the best! :+1:

1 Like