Can someone look this over and see if they can help.

Hello I downloaded inform 7 version 6G60 last night and used if with something I
have been working on for awhile and a slew of compiling errors popped up, slowly
but surely I have gone through them and tweaked things here and there til the
errors went away, the one I am currently at and which is stumping me is this
one.
Applicable code cleaned up to make it sfw:

Libido is a kind of value. A person has a libido.
norm is a libido. sated is a libido. tingly is a libido. horny is a libido.
Aroused is a libido. lustful is a libido. peaking is a libido. climax is a
libido.

instead of brushing emily’s hair when when emily is peaking:
say " yadda yadda yadda.";
now jeff is in out of world;
now emily is in out of world;
now emily is like;
now the player is in west main;
now katie is in out of world;
now maggie is in out of world.

(just an example of whats getting the errors, it’s a whole page full)

the errors are listed as:

Problem. In the sentence ‘instead of brushing emily’s hair when when emily is
peaking’ , it looks as if you intend ‘when emily is peaking’ to be a condition,
but that would mean comparing two kinds of value which cannot mix - a and a
libido - so this must be incorrect.

Problem. In the sentence ‘instead of brushing emily’s hair when when emily is
peaking’ , it looks as if you intend ‘when emily is peaking’ to be a condition,
but that seems to involve applying the adjective ‘peaking’ to a - and I have no
definition of it which would apply in that situation. (Try looking it up in the
Lexicon part of the Phrasebook index to see what definition(s) ‘peaking’ has.) / end code:

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

You’ve got to “whens” in a row here.

Perhaps that’s the problem. (It would actually have passed unnoticed in at least some earlier builds of Inform.)

DOH! I thought for certain that I wrote the 2 whens just on here by accident but yes indeed they were in the code somehow and when one “when” was deleted it compiled, I am now having problems with some extensions, if I cant make headway I will prob be back in this thread looking for some guidance.

Consolidated Multiple Actions by John Clemens is causing compiling errors and also this code which used to work is now troublesome: (note) every mention of une was “one” before but that was causing errors so I had to go through all the code changing one to une)

Nada is a garment. The layer of nada is 0.

to decide which garment is the outermost garment covering the chest of (the une - a person):
let the top layer be 0;
repeat with clothing running through garments that are covering the chest worn by the une begin;
if the layer of the clothing is greater than the top layer begin; let X be the clothing; let the top layer be the layer of the clothing; end if; end repeat;
if X is a garment, decide on X;
decide on nada. / code

and the error:

In Volume 1, Book 1 rules, Chapter 5 values:

Problem. In the sentence ‘if X is a garment, decide on X’ , I was expecting to read a condition, but instead found some text that I couldn’t understand - ‘X is a garment’.

I was trying to match this phrase:

if (x is a garment - a condition) , (decide on x - a phrase)

This was what I found out:

X is a garment = something unrecognised

decide on X = an instruction to do something

I received a very helpful response to the problem I was having and got everything to compile ( I think) problem is now when I compile I receive this:

Translating the Source - Failed
The application ran your source text through the Inform 7 compiler, as usual, and it found no problems translating the source. Something must have gone wrong all the same, because the second stage of the process - using the Inform 6 compiler to turn this translated source into a viable story file - turned up errors. This should not happen. The errors are written out on the Progress tab, but will only make sense to experienced Inform 6 users (if even to them).

The best option now is probably to reword whatever was last changed and to try again. Subsequent attempts will not be affected by the failure of this one, so there is nothing to be gained by restarting the application or the computer. A failed run should never damage the source text, so your work cannot be lost.

If you are using Inform 6 inclusions, these are the most likely culprits. You might be using these without realising it if you are including an extension which contains Inform 6 inclusions in order to work its magic: so if the problem only seems to occur when a particular extension is in use, then that is probably what is at fault, and you should contact the extension’s author directly.

If not, then most likely the Inform 7 compiler is at fault. Please check that you have the currently distributed build of the system: if you have, please consider taking the time to fill out a bug report at the Inform bug tracker (inform7.com/bugs).

Sorry for the inconvenience.

clicking the progress button shows this on the bottom:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Inform 7\Compilers\inform-632
-wSDG +include_path=…\Source,.\ auto.inf output.ulx
Inform 6.32 for Win32 (18th November 2010)
(0): Fatal error: Run out of memory allocating array of -1089934592x24 bytes for g-objects

Compiler finished with code 1

any help would be greatly appreciated.

edited to add show the extensions I am currently using.

Include Locksmith by Emily Short.
Include Plurality by Emily Short.
Include Hiding Under by Eric Eve.
Include Text capture by Eric Eve.
Include Considerate Holdall by Jon Ingold.
Include Computers by Emily Short.
Include Conversation Framework by Eric Eve.
Include Title Page by Jon Ingold.
Include Extended Timers by Gavin Lambert.
Include Basic Screen Effects by Emily Short.
Include Native Time Control by Tim Pittman.
Include Simple Followers by Emily Short.
Include Bulk Limiter by Eric Eve.
Include Hypothetical Questions by Jesse McGrew.

bumping for help with:

Fatal error: Run out of memory allocating array of -1089934592x24 bytes for g-objects.

I don’t know anything about that error, but if you feel like emailing me your entire source code, I’ll take a look at it and see if I can spot the problem. You need to dig out the file called story.ni. If you’re on a Mac, you need to use the “Show Package Contents” command in order to drill down into the .inform folder to find the Source folder.

Attach this to an email and send it to me at midiguru23@sbcglobal.net. If I have a few minutes this evening, I’ll take a look at it.

This line was the culprit:
Use MAX_SYMBOLS of 20000.

I never had that line at all listed before, and I wasnt getting the error message saying to increase it but I did up it to 30000 and it compiled. whew.

That sounds like a I6 compiler bug, but it’s not enough information to track it down. (I don’t think it’s actually overflowing MAX_SYMBOLS; it’s some other memory pointer overflow.)