Borogove: Online editor for Vorple, Inform, Hugo, Dialog and Ink

The Inform 7 compiler service for version 10.1.0 is now set up with all of the Friends of I7 extensions so you can just include any of them in the source text and the compiler will have access to them. It downloads a fresh copy of the repository every day.

(6M62 has all the Public Library extensions installed, but it has already had those from the start. 6G60 only has those that came with the standard I7 installation.)

7 Likes

How often is the 10.1.0 version updated? Or is it still the version that was available at the start of May?

I understand if you don’t want to update it all the time. I just want to know if I can use Borogove to test the latest behaviour of Inform.

(In case it’s not updated, maybe add the +6V23 or similar label to the menu in the settings, and the date?)

1 Like

Having it in the pulldown while it’s still in pre-release flux would be convenient. But compiling a game and saying version will give you the complete version number, at the moment v10.1.0-beta+6V19. So it’s fairly fresh.

1 Like

The compiler updates every time the service is restarted, which isn’t very often. I’ve done that now and added the build date to the compiler output (click “Show compiler output” on the Compiler tab.) The previous version was about two weeks old.

Hopefully the first official release happens soon so automating the compiler updates now would become obsolete quickly. In the future it might be possible to have an option to use a “nightly” version of the compiler, which would be built once per day from the latest source in Github.

6 Likes

It occurred to me that making a version of this for “snippets” would be excellent. So people could share code (working or not working) to test and figure out issues.

I7Fiddle maybe?

I think the only change would be to create a version of this that has access to extensions and has an identifier that can be shared and updated.

1 Like
5 Likes

Of course it already exists.

It’s even the case that all the v10 documentation examples are available as Borogove Snippets.

Fine print: excludes the examples that generate EPS maps that there would be no support for displaying, ones that are Z-machine only, ones that are just fragments and not whole programs, and, of course, the “information only” examples.

I am able to properly play-test Vorple multimedia from within borogove.app. But when publishing to borogove.io, Vorple seems to be lost and the game falls back to text-only mode. Is this expected?

At the moment yes, unfortunately you can’t upload Vorple games yet.

2 Likes

I believe one route (if you can publish the game with all the necessary components/interpreter) you can upload to itch.io and the game should work.

2 Likes

That’s true, if you choose the “Download Web Site” from the Share page it should work as is when uploaded to Itch.

4 Likes

Upgrading PunyInform to v4.1 and the Inform compiler to v6.41 would be welcome.

2 Likes

Hi all,

When I try to compile my Inform7 project I get the following error:

Compilation failed

Could not connect to remote compilation service

Anyone else experiencing this problem? Are there other online tools I could use as backup plan to build and test my Inform7 project?

1 Like

Just flagging that I’m getting the same error!

Thanks to everyone who reported this, the compiler service is up again.

6 Likes

Good to see you’re still maintaining the site!

Also, borogove.io can’t play Z-code games now.

Compiler service down?

Edit - seems to be working again.

Compiler service down? First I got errors I have not seen before:

Quixe init: Error: The game file length does not agree with the header. The game file length does not agree with the header. Error
The Inform 7 compiler translated the source text without issues into intermediary Inform 6 code, but the Inform 6 compiler could not further translate it into a playable game file.

This error is usually caused by Inform 6 inclusions, either in the source text or in the project's extensions. If you have included Inform 6 code, check the compiler output for the exact error message given by the Inform 6 compiler and see if it refers to the code in the project's Inform 6 inclusions.

And now it says:

Edit: seems to be working again.

Just stumbled across the app and this feature… This is such a wonderful teaching tool for beginners learning the code - thanks so much!

3 Likes