"Blog Style" posting [Experimental]

Do you have an important post that is more like an article than a question or chatter?

Do you want it to look fancy and include a header photo? Maybe emphasize quoted material and images?

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut tortor pretium viverra suspendisse potenti nullam ac. Non consectetur a erat nam at lectus urna duis convallis. Nunc congue nisi vitae suscipit. Phasellus vestibulum lorem sed risus ultricies tristique nulla. Nisi est sit amet facilisis magna etiam tempor. Facilisis mauris sit amet massa. Tellus in hac habitasse platea dictumst vestibulum rhoncus. Sit amet consectetur adipiscing elit ut aliquam purus sit amet. Lectus mauris ultrices eros in cursus turpis massa. Pretium aenean pharetra magna ac placerat vestibulum lectus. At augue eget arcu dictum varius duis. Congue nisi vitae suscipit tellus.

Create your post, and include the blog-style tag.

Your original post will be in a slightly larger font.

The first image in your post will be used as the header and spread to 100% width and cropped to suit. If you want an original picture as the header and not the first one in your post, put the header image on the first line by itself with an extra carriage return after it.

Also, don’t forget the <grid></grid> tags to tile a group of images. This can also be used anywhere on the forum.

The code looks like this before and after your image stack:

[grid]
![IMG_2018|375x500](upload://uigvTJyU3AZuTgpSEtFQ5Menbk7.jpeg)
![Unknown|216x215](upload://q6E2ry8jZSdc2Nu2YpdQEza4e2g.png)
![IFforumlogo|148x150](upload://yPLi0EG4DOyDVb0ql8uTk4LsSLT.png)
![CVwheel|286x290](upload://yToYsi5PoXqqnZiLO1i5whsSRPc.png)
[/grid]

Use regular quoted text preceded by a > and a space, or highlight your quote and hit the quote icon in the compose window.

You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door. There is a small mailbox here.

> *You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door. There is a small mailbox here.*

To optionally create the initial drop cap or word, surround the first letter or word with <big></big> tags. You can use the <big> tag anywhere.

Just to make big words without using a header.
Regular-sized text.
There is also a <small> tag.

18 Likes

I’m just checking what comments look like on a blog style post

8 Likes

They should appear as normal.

(There is that slightly weird block around the avatar, but I think that’s thrown by your specific theme’s color scheme.)

6 Likes

Huh, this looked really fancy on desktop but on mobile it looks more like a regular post. Degrades well though.

8 Likes

well I’m sure that with the recent trend toward cover art, the blog style wil be appreciated…

Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.

5 Likes

I actually didn’t check the option to enable it on mobile, but it’s worth a shot.

I’m also trying full-width mode. It works, and it’s only for the first post…

3 Likes

I like it! Looks very inviting to read.

Does an unclosed <small> tag in your last sentence affect the bottom text/buttons of the original post (“Hearts”, “Link”, “Bookmark”, “Flag”, “Reply”)? Or is the smaller-than-normal font of those included in the blog-style option?

EDIT: Oh, I see that the replies’ author names are also in a smaller font. Must be a feature of a blog-style thread then. But the bottom buttons in replies are normal size, like on the rest of the forum.

3 Likes

I don’t see a header when viewing this on mobile with the Dracula theme.

1 Like

The small tag is closed. Unless there’s a theme changing you, I see the icon row is not smaller. I don’t believes it’s the same CSS <div> or whatever.

Screen Shot 2023-11-27 at 4.20.56 AM

The replies are narrower than the original post.

1 Like

I see it in Dracula on iOS.

1 Like

Oh this is neeeeeaaaaat!

2 Likes

I do not.

1 Like

obligatory: if you want to write a full on article and post it to the IF community, you can consider submiting to The Rosebush instead (at least at first) :stuck_out_tongue:

https://the-rosebush.com

6 Likes

I have to say, I prefer reading everything in the same font. Having some posts be larger just makes the forum that small bit less pleasant to browse.

Dunno if that points at a preference or a separate theme or what.

5 Likes

Well, if the header isn’t working for Dracula on Android, that suggests the themes impact functionality. You could cycle through themes looking for one for which Blog posts fail to function as intended. Of course, then you might coincidentally not like the theme for other reasons. :man_shrugging:

Or you could just mute the blog-style tag.

1 Like

The only thing I can suggest is if you have a browser window always open to the forum, you might want to reload it or close and re-open the browser. Phones tend to cling to all your web pages when you navigate away without closing them. I made several tweaks to the module over the course of the night and didn’t have mobile access turned on at the beginning.

1 Like

I don’t imagine people will use this a lot. If it becomes popular with one sect and annoying to others I can make a duplicate theme that omits this module. Another solution is if you have a “reading mode” for web pages like iOS has, that formatting should take over.

Here it is in View>Show Reader in Safari:

That’s a good idea, but he wouldn’t be notified about those posts unless he navigated to them directly. Muting doesn’t hide a topic, it just doesn’t notify you about it in your personal notifications or on the Latest page.

I just learned recently assisting a user that muting a tag and then using that tag in your own post makes it real hard to find your message again! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like