Awesome Text Adventure Gaming Podcast

Howdy, I just wanted everyone to know that I am doing a podcast on the genre of gaming that we all love the most. Completely on the genre of Text Adventure games and about programming them as well. Here’s a link to the podcast on iTunes and the Facebook group which is open to all those that want to announce an up coming project or share an experience.

itunes.apple.com/ca/podcast/awe … 39933?mt=2

facebook.com/groups/1418273091732329/

I will def check this out. :ugeek:

Is there a way for non-itunes users to download this?

The website proper:

awesometextadventuregaming.buzzsprout.com/

The RSS within:

awesometextadventuregaming.buzzs … /16534.rss

Thanks!

I would like to thank all who have listened and subscribed to my podcast. You guys rock and spread the word and lets make Awesome Text Adventure Gaming the best podcast dealing with text adventure games. :slight_smile:

A new episode is up and ready for all those who wish to listen. I hope you enjoy the episode which is on “Mazes and why I love them”.

I listened to the first couple. I think your enthusiasm is great, but I think you could benefit from some editing. Or consider working from some written talking points so that you are less likely to meander or repeat so much.

Just my $.02…

I agree and I’ll do that next time, thanks for the input :slight_smile:

Episode 6 of Awesome Text Adventure Gaming is up and ready for your listening pleasure.
Today’s episode dives into two games that will make you wonder why they were even
coded. Plus a look back on a wonderful system known as the TI - 83 Plus and a language that
I love deeply, TI Basic. I hope you enjoy. :smiley:

Hey, in your latest episode, you commented that you don’t know why they would make a Twilight Zone game in 1988. I would imagine it was to coincide with the third season opening of the 80s version of the Twilight Zone. The 3rd season premiered in '88. Just a thought.

I subscribed on iTunes. I’ve listened through the third episode, so this is based on stuff up to that point.

I agree with an earlier comment that a little more focus would help. If you keep going with it, that might start to come naturally just from repetition. Even for a 30-minute episode, having three or four segments you stick to might help. Examples would be The Latest News, What I’m Playing Now, Looking Back At Retro Adventures, Creating Text Adventures, Nostalgia, etc.

You mentioned that the Inform forum was rude, but it’s possible you meant this forum? At any rate, I think a lot of it may just be coming across wrong. When I popped in way back in '99, I too found it pretty hostile. (Discussion was almost totally Usenet-based back then.) Looking back, I think that was more to do with my own attitude at the time, and less to do with any actual ill will towards me or my at-the-time home-brewed QuickBasic games. So whether it’s here or another interactive fiction site, just give it a chance.

Have you considered having guests or guest hosts? Other podcasts I like tend to have two or more presenters, which seems to help things move along by providing back-and-forth discussions. If possible, maybe record it by phone? I’ve never recorded a podcast, so I’m not sure how practical that is. Maybe Skype? Getting other opinions and a second voice (even if not the same person every time) would help give it some variety.

Also, I’m a little concerned about the relevancy of each episode. There are three more episodes I haven’t played yet, but a lot of it seems to just be the retelling of fond childhood memories. That’s okay and all, but you may end up repeating things or having it seem too much like an audio journal. I’d like to hear more about current things; this year’s IFComp, or opinions of games written in the last few years. Dipping back into history is great too, but that’s where multiple segments would help.

Also, you probably don’t need to apologize for letting a curse word slip once in a while. If you want young children to listen, you’d probably want to just edit/bleep it afterwards, or simply let it stand since most subscribers are probably going to be adults.

I started writing text adventures way back in BASIC on the TRS-80 Color Computers, then later in QuickBASIC for DOS. And I was big into BBS’s also, even selling some BBS shareware door games (Lunatix, primarily). And I used to agree with you about the “fun” being in the programming side of things. The problem is that a parser or engine built around a single game typically shoehorns you into all the bad tropes of “text adventures” that nobody likes. If you’ve ever seen a joke or comic about text adventures, it probably involves the silly responses the parser gives when it doesn’t understand a command. Sometimes it’s intentional, when trying to interact with the game in the totally wrong way. But sometimes it’s as simple as the game not understanding “put egg in basket” when you have both in inventory, even if there’s no point in doing it.

That’s all most people remember about them. Systems like TADS, Inform, Hugo, and whatever else help in a big way because they not only allow for more sophisticated grammar, but they also let you focus on what should be the point of writing one of these games… the interactive fiction.

That’s not to say a home-brew can’t reach that level. Just, if it does, then you’ve basically created a new IF platform, which is way more difficult than just writing a game to recognize specific combinations of commands you’ve predicted. It’s a hard perspective to see, though, until you play a lot of more modern stuff that uses those engines. Once you see how deep and responsive games can be – try prior IFComp or XYZZY winners, for instance – you start to see home-brewed efforts as simplistic; even unplayable.

So yeah. I think if you were devoting at least one segment to “new” stuff, it’d give your podcast stronger legs. Speaking from experience, people eventually tire of nostalgia.

All that said, keep it up. Lately I’ve been listening to podcasts while I work, so it’s always cool to find another that covers some aspect of gaming that interests me.

Thank you for all the wonderful comments. I have begun writing out scripts to help me with the formatting issues that I have found my self having problems with. With my next episode I have which I hope, the formula written down perfectly I hope. Thank you for all the help, this is my first podcast that I did on my own and am thankful that such wonderful people want to help me on my formatting issues. I guess doing a topic right from the top of my head was a bad idea, eh, lol. But Episode 7 will be better structured and I thank you all for sticking by me.

Every podcast I listen to strays off-topic a bit. But I like that they have a general outline to go by. It keeps the episode more focused, without necessarily seeming rehearsed. An outline with general talking points can help. Looking forward to more episodes!

Is there a schedule? Weekly seems to be the norm, with the episode recording one day then releasing the next, at a set time each week. That might also help if you do decide to schedule guests at some point. Scheduling might also help in the planning phase, and make each episode more substantial. You mentioned early on that you like the 30-minute size, but personally I don’t mind longer shows. The ones I’m dedicated to go past two hours, but 45 minutes to an hour is still reasonable, especially if you have a week’s worth of topics.

Anyway, I think this is a great idea. I’m surprised it hasn’t been done sooner!

Same here Merk, I would in the future love to have guests on, fellow authors and what not.
I’ve already worked on a schedule for next weeks episode. With reviews, a look at ifcomp,
a look back to a classic if game. I also post on ifdb.tads.org for any new authors who would
wish to have their games reviewed on future episodes. Everything is coming up Dave.

Also on this forum as well.

Episode 7 is now online for all to hear. I have been fiddling around with a format that will work for the show so I don’t go off track.
itunes.apple.com/ca/podcast/dav … 707439933#

There must be a delay in the upload cuz I clicked it and see it on your site but my iTunes doesn’t see ep7 yet.

:cry:

I think iTunes was a bit screwy today, it said it was up when I posted the link. But now it seems to be up and running.

I listened to it on your main page. Good stuff.