April 1 is Source Code Amnesty Day (it happened!)

Aw man, did I miss source code day? I don’t think I even have any of my old Inform games.

I do have source for Cursed Pickle and RSPM but they’re probably tedious to read.

6 Likes

Great work Garry!

You should put a link to the source from each IFDB page too, and add the appropriate tag to the game (“adventuron source code available” seems appropriate for Adventuron games, and has been used by others)

6 Likes

Yes, I’ll certainly do that. I’m working on the Inform 6 games, too. I should get them finished tonight. You’ll be pleased to know that that includes all my published PunyInform games.

7 Likes

Had some last-minute computer trouble, but I was able to get the source code to This Old Haunted House uploaded to my website. I’m not sure whether it’s odd behavior from my installation of Inform 7’s version 10 (or if formatting errors introduced by moving the raw source between text filetypes are to blame), but when I released with source, it put the entire story into a single HTML file rather than subdividing by Volume, Book, etc. In any event, if you prefer raw text, that’s available from the link above as well.

8 Likes

Somewhere in the multiverse, it’s April 1…
I’ve posted the source code of my first “no training wheels” project to itch. Baby’s first kinetic poem, first try at customizing UI, and first time using her phone to record voice memos of the Very Important Narrative Thoughts that occurred mid-shower.

8 Likes

It’s late, but I found the perfect thing for SCAD.

I had something lying around my extensions dir called honest-to-Crom Code Outtakes.i7x – the stuff left on the cutting-room floor after last year’s Code.

Not responsible for any SAN loss.

6 Likes

Ofc I’m late.

Here’s the source code for Andromeda Apocalypse, the latest release from 2012 (he Extended Version).

It’s a lot of things (probably hiding swearing from things I found frustrating to code at the time). You may find the Achievements and the Hint System useful, somehow. Also, how I stored objects when swapping between game and cut-scenes. The rest is pretty much “put this in that”, but I can’t be sure.

Have fun :slight_smile:

BEHIND THE SCENES, ANDROMEDA APOCALYPSE - EXTENDED

PS: the game is there to be played, too, and the complete text in a single file, all done by Inform7 (2012 – not sure it works today)

ETA: Ah, and ofc there are like 200kb of how to make LOGAN happen :slight_smile:

12 Likes

It took a while, but I’ve now uploaded all eight of my published Inform 6 games to my GitHub account for all to enjoy or poke fun at. Each repository includes source code, compiled z3/z5 files, solution, map and Trizbort file for the map. There are 2 games using the standard library and 6 games using the PunyInform library.

Enjoy.

9 Likes

I still need to do the IF archive bit so I can add it to the IFDB page, but here’s the source text for ADRIFT. Sorry for the delay in posting, I had to be home with the laptop to get a hold of the actual project folder.

Upon reading it again, I am surprised to see I actually took the time to put some commenting in there, and I also separated discrete sections by generous spacing, so it isn’t as indecipherable as I feared. With that said, it is still held together with duct tape and bailing twine. This is the comp version of the game. I have a post comp version as well that I keep twiddling with endlessly that has not been finished nor released.

ADRIFT Source.txt (103.7 KB)

10 Likes

I’m trying to get some of my source together. Unfortunately most of my Inform stuff is lost on non-functioning hard drives of old computers before I started cloud-saving everything.

Anyway, Transparent is one of my Inform games that was kind of a mess and was very difficult to play and cruel - I did get lots of feedback to hopefully make it better - but it’s a rare Inform 7 game that includes music and sound (if played in an interpreter that supports it) and some images. I don’t know of any of my solutions will be useful to anyone, but I did get a huge leg-up help using @Draconis’s Music extension.

9 Likes

I went ahead and also posted the code dumps from two of my AXMA games. These will probably be a chore to read and include extensive blocks of embedded sound and image content the compiler just mashes all together you’ll need to skim through. But if you want to see all the text in the games and see how much work I do that never gets seen! :crying_cat_face: it’s there.

8 Likes

I reformatted the Cragne source page (Cragne Manor: The Source Collection) to include the room name as well as the author name.

In the process, I rebuilt the HTML versions of the source files using a new version of the syntax-coloring script. It should all still look the same, but if you see any obvious problems, let me know.

10 Likes

I’ve been out of pocket most of today, so this is a rather belated wrap-up post for Source Code Amnesty Day – except not really, because it’s been super exciting to see folks who didn’t have the bandwidth to get something out on April 1 get into the spirit of the thing and decide to observe Source Code Amnesty Weekend or Source Code Amnesty Month. It’s all good, and I’ve got like a dozen tabs open to check out everyone’s contributions.

I also have to confess to experiencing a bit of imposter syndrome – I feel like I mostly just channeled @mathbrush’s zeal to release more source code and added a dumb April Fool’s joke on top of it, then many others did way more work to publicize the idea and pull their stuff together. Or maybe it’s more a stone soup type scenario. Either way, let me just say that y’all rock, and I am really happy to be part of such an awesome community.

…I know it won’t ever again be nearly as epic as this first one, but I think based on this experience we should make this a yearly thing, huh? I’ll look forward to seeing everybody next year for SCAD II – a good impetus for me to actually release something this year, if nothing else!

22 Likes

This is a great idea…sorry I am late.

For the record I originally published these games with their source code. However the code is otherwise buried in the downloadable files, so it’s just the links that are new. If you need to add links anywhere please feel free to use these ones.

Sadly the source code to my two other games is lost. I thought it was possible to reverse Twine or twee code from the final HTML file but I haven’t had any luck (maybe with the import function?).

Those games were made around 2016 and made in Twine 1.x. Any advice anyone?

7 Likes

Did you try to import them in Twine 1? You can find the install files for that version on the IFArchive/
Otherwise, you may be able to convert the HTML into Twee through Tweego.

5 Likes

Yeah, I am still using Twine 1 in fact and did not have any luck with importing. I haven’t tried tweego yet, thanks!

3 Likes

What an unfortunate date chosen… and on the thread title, on top of it.

Anyway, taken note. If I decide to get rid of ancient WIPs lingering my hard disk since late 90s/early aughties…

Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.

5 Likes

here I must agree. Occasionally my source code has more Italian than English…

Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.

4 Likes

My memory was jogged after seeing this linked in another thread.

The shambling behemoth that is the Repeat the Ending I7 source is available in its (hopefully) final form (R4) at itch.io. It ain’t pretty, but it is at least commented. If I don’t get any bug reports in the next two weeks, I’ll make a final upload to the IF Archive with all other materials.

14 Likes

Thanks for sharing the sources of Convolution !

Actually allowed me to solve a serious but inevitable “huge wall of text” issue, with the elegant solution of breaking the wall of text in multiple pieces thru an EventList (v1/books.t, for who is interested on this)

of course, your place in the CREDITS is secured, “BrettW” is fine or prefer another name/nick in the credit you definitively deserve ?

Thanks again and
Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.

5 Likes