April 1 is Source Code Amnesty Day (it happened!)

For what it’s worth, here is the source code for my Spring Thing 2019 entry Founder’s Mercy. I was hanging on to it until I did a new release that fixed more of the open issues, but I don’t really think that’s likely soon.

7 Likes

@Denk The basic “plot” and goals are the same but I’ve tried to address some of the issues people raised with v1.0 as well as expand the game in certain areas.

• Integrated Jon Ingold’s Flexible Windows extension to extend the parser interface
  • Integrated Eric Eve’s Conversation Package and updating old conversations to use it
  • Redesigned the orrery and the time machine
  • Expanded the Morlock underground locations
  • Added some new characters
  • Added fire and the ability to burn certain things
  • Fixed numerous bugs and grammatical errors

Hopefully I’ll be able to wrap things up by mid-2023 and move on to something new.

7 Likes

By the way, Bill Maya sent me his Cragne source: Cragne Manor room TUN4: Bill Maya . Thanks!

I don’t know if there’s anybody active on the forum who hasn’t done that. But if you haven’t, now’s a great time…

6 Likes

Wonderful news!! This would be extremely helpful not only for aspiring authors but also for researchers like myself who are interested in a critical examination of the code apart from the narrative.

As regards Twine games, I wonder if there is a legit and simple way of retrieving the source code if the .tws file is not available. I mean, apart from reading the source code for every single page.

5 Likes

If a Twine game was made using the editor, you can download the HTML file and load it up in the Twine editor and it’ll be laid out exactly the same as it was when the author exported it. So, for any game built using the editor the source is by default available.

If the author used Tweego or other custom tools you can still do this and it won’t crash, but the file organization they used will be lost.

E: Also, you don’t need to view souce on every Twine passage - Twine games are one page, so doing view source will get you all of it.

6 Likes

Hmm that’s weird, this is the first thing I tried and I tried it with many different html files but it never worked for me. That was a long time ago though so I’m guessing it was either my lack of experience with Twine back then or perhaps a compatibility issue? Many thanks though, I’ll give it a try again now that I know it should be working.

Hmm, I wonder… if you’re looking at Twine games on itch, then the page is just a wrapper, you’d need to get the actual Twine game; the HTML file that’s loaded in the iframe. If you download the whole web page it should be in the files somewhere. Or I think firefox you can right-click and Save Frame as?

4 Likes

That might have been it. I don’t think Twine 2 can open Twine 1 games.

2 Likes

Yup, it can’t. And if you don’t have the game version of the format installed on Twine, you might also get some errors.

2 Likes

Many thanks for this. I’ve been accessing the games through ifdb mostly but I’ll try downloading one from itch to see if it makes any difference.

I think what Josh was saying is that trying to look at the files via itch is likely to be more challenging than just looking directly at the file as linked on IFDB – I am no Twine expert though!

2 Likes

Oh I see, thank you for clarifying that.

Yeah, it takes an extra step to get the game off itch.io if it’s not downloadable, but it’s still possible. If you right-click → view source the itch.io page the page, you can find the iframe element, which looks like this:

<div data-iframe="&lt;iframe src=&quot;https://v6p9d9t4.ssl.hwcdn.net/html/7439589/Hidden Gems, Hidden Secrets 1.0/index.html&quot; [... MORE STUFF]" class="iframe_placeholder">

The src= tells you where to find the game’s html file:

https://v6p9d9t4.ssl.hwcdn.net/html/7439589/Hidden%20Gems,%20Hidden%20Secrets%201.0/index.html

which you can then download and plug into Twine, compatibility providing.

e: oh hey I am good reading comprehension

yeah, use Firefox and do that, it seems easier

7 Likes

Yes, this is how I got all of the HTML files for Twine Gardening.

7 Likes

Just a small bump since we’re a little over a week out – I’ve been seeing lots of folks already posting their stuff and source code files showing up in the IF Archive, which is awesome! But there’s still plenty of time to participate.

3 Likes

Uploading my own source code for this led me to look at it afresh, and marvel yet again at how much I enjoy working in the IF language I use (Inform 7). It’s already got me eager to finish some works in progress and release more games, health permitting. So there’s an unexpected benefit there, not just from looking at other people’s code! Which I have also been enjoying doing :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

11 Likes

I’m very glad to hear that! I thoroughly enjoyed Napier’s Cache and Border Reivers (and the Wikipedia dives that were inspired by those games). Any new work from you would be most welcome!

6 Likes

One more bump - hope everyone is getting ready because tomorrow is SCAD!

Hey I just realized I lucked into a good acronym. Releasing source code - it’s SCADs of fun!

8 Likes

I’ve been diving into old hard-drives of mine to find code. I strangely can’t find the source for the one game I’ve released (Mix Tape), but found an absolute trove of stuff on a long project from 2004, complete with a diary, some alpha testing notes, and design documents. I hope to publish it all tomorrow!

5 Likes

I will publish mine tomorrow (on Github probably) but haven’t had chance to go through it all and do the commenting yet. I will definitely get that done by the end of April though, as there are some things that have been changed or deprecated in Adventuron since my earlier games and I don’t want to cause too much confusion. After that I’ll upload it to the IF Archive.

6 Likes