Any Indonesian?

Hola, Commander!

Still kinda feeling lonely, and I kinda stopped playing several years just because I can’t find any active community of IF in Indonesia. Tried to introduce it to my friends but none of them hooked to IF.

I used to play some IF (mostly parser based) and of course, they’re all in English. I did found a CYOA written in Indonesian and I believe it’s an adaptation of an actual IF book for children.

I have Twine here, but I need learn some basic codes in order to make one. Literally, I got no background in coding and stuff like that but luckily I studied literature even I’m not the best at it. I’m more like into linguistics. I also tried to learn the Inform 7 but it’s somehow too complex since once again I got no background in coding and English isn’t my mother tongue, also I have no idea how to make it in Indonesian.

And yes, it’s gonna be an amazing achievement to create something in Indonesian. I just don’t know how to start, lol.

Anyway, thanks for responding. Gracias!

4 Likes

A wild indonesian appeared :wink:

I was a long time lurker in rec.arts and rec.games.int-fiction. I also played a lot of the ‘renaissance’ IF (Photopia, Galatea, Christminster, etc.). When I lost access to usenet, I kinda got disconnected with IF. Until now! I have just found out about this forum this week. Back then I dabbled with TADS 3 but never submitted anything.

6 Likes

Eyyy, good to see you here and good to know that I’m not alone. Salam hangat bung Endy!

I played some those ones you called ‘renaissance’ IF and that’s when I first jumped into IF. So you might say I was born during renaissance era of IF, lol.

Ngomong-ngomong asal mana nih? Saya dari Temanggung, salam dari desa. Hope you’re still active in this forum. Sorry I’m rarely active, but you can always contact me on wendie.new@gmail.com

4 Likes

Salam juga mbak Wendy!

I’m from Jakarta, and surprisingly according to google maps, it only takes 8 hours to Temanggung using the new toll road :smiley:

I’m curious, what do you call IF in Indonesian? Fiksi interaktif? Petualangan teks? Game teks? Cerita interaktif?

About creating IF in Indonesian, maybe it’s not so easy, because if I’m not mistaken, english rules are baked into the parser in Inform.

1 Like

I know nothing about Indonesian, but I wouldn’t say that English rules are totally baked into the parser (and it depends also on the system we are talking about; I guess it’s Inform 7). Depending on how close to English Indonesian is, it can be not too difficult or very difficult to translate Inform.

It definitely would be quite some work though, but feel free to ask help if someday you want to try to translate Inform!

3 Likes

Wah, atributku memang bikin orang mengira saya mbak baik di dunia nyata maupun maya :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyway, how is IF in Jakarta? Are there many people out there playing IF?

I’m not sure how do I call IF in Indonesian. I prefer to use fiksi interaktif since it covers all the cerita, petualangan, game, even puisi I guess. Or FI for short? Idk, I rarely discuss it with friends, but I mostly use FI.

Yeah, Inform uses natural English, which is a disadvantage for us. But if you’re more into CYOA style, I recommend to use Twine. I tried to make an example project and it worked and appeared in full Indonesian.

Oh, this is interesting. English and Indonesian might be very different in some point. Both uses SVO word order. But Indonesian has different word order for adjectives. In English we put the adj in front of the object like “blue book”; in Indonesian we swap the position to “book blue” or “buku biru”. But the most tricky part is Indonesian has too much suffixation. We have me-, me–kan, me–i, di-, di–kan, di–i, etc., which can be very confusing to non-native Indonesian speaker, even for native Indonesian tbh. So, It might be the hardest part to translate it into programming language.

Also there is a program called Aetheria Game Engine. Here the link: IF in another language. - #7 by Al-Khwarizmi There are some explanation to it.

Even if we did the translation, I’m not sure it will worth the sweat since there there are not many Indonesian who know what IF is.

1 Like

Oalah sori ya mas :laughing:

Actually it’s been some time since I played any IF games. Didn’t have as much time. And didn’t check if friends / relatives play IF either. Maybe if the game can be hooked to a text-to-speech program, and can accept voice command, I can play during my commute. Hmm…

1 Like

ey, santai bukan salah Anda👌

That would be cool if there’s a voice-to-text input integrated to IF interpreter. I wonder … gotta dig into the forum, tho.

How did you find out about IF? I’ll share my story as well but later when I have more time to do the typing :ok_hand:

1 Like

Hmm let’s see. My first game was Infocom’s Planetfall. My uncle was back from study in US bringing his laptop with him. That was in the 80’s I think. He allowed me to play with his laptop. I found Planetfall and several other Infocom games in it, but the one I remembered the most was Planetfall. My english was very minimum at that time and I couldn’t even get past the first room :laughing:

After that King’s Quest. The first King’s Quest requires you to type commands so I consider it IF :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Didn’t finish it either.

Then a long hiatus until my end of college in the 90s - 00s where I played lots of IF instead of finishing my skripsi :smiley:

1 Like

Halo, Kak! Aku orang Indonesia. Salam kenal. Baru kenal IF sejak tahun 2017 gara2 choice of game di play store. Kukira juga aku aja orang indo yg kenal if. Setelah menjelajah di twitter, ternyata ada beberapa orang indonesia yang bikin if di twine. Aku juga baru bikin if. Bisa dicek di pinned twitter @novenarium ya kak.

3 Likes

Eh? Ada CoG yang di bahasa Indonesia? Namanya apa? Ada di website?

1 Like

Hey Harry, dulu malah udah ada Goosebumps. Terjemahan sih, tapi itu malah buku fisik. Ternyata makin nambah aja nih warga Indonesia. Aku malah udah lama ga buka forum ini :frowning:

1 Like

Brooo! I’m back! Gila, 2 tahun yg lalu. Sorry for the late late late reply. Laptop in the 80’s? What an experience. You were very lucky to be able to know IF in the early age of IF. Planetfall is one of the toughest IF out there and that was your first game? Lol

Waw waw, keren. Apresiasi untukmu. I’ll check it later. Aku yakin yg bikin CYOA atau CoG banyak melihat flesibilitas program kayak Twine, tapi entah deh kalo bikin yg parser based ada gak soalnya cara kerjanya beda banget. Aku sempet bikin thread pertanyaan di sini seputar bikin parser based IF pake bahasa selain Inggris,terutama bahasa Indonesia,ada banyak di sini Ga tau sih sekarang, 8 tahun sudah berlalu sejak thread ini ada, mungkin perkembangan teknologi udah makin maju.

Oya, salam mengenalmu Noven. Aku kenal IF secara official tahun 2012. Tapi ternyata aku pernah main IF sejak jaman game java hp jadul. Judulnya The Dark Eye. Itu CoG tapi ada elemen D&D, ada fitur roll dice juga. Waktu itu resolusi layar hp masih 240x320 wkwk.

I’ve looked for your twitter. I’ve left a trace somewhere on your blog, lol.

1 Like

Not IF at all, but at least an adventure game: Sumatra: Fate of Yandi. Maybe of interest for you.

Halo, semua… :smiley:

Sorry for bumping this old thread, but this is the only place I can find fellow Indonesian in this forum.

Are you guys still involved in IF now?

1 Like

I don’t think which part is the adjective and which is the noun is strictly indicated. You could name an object “blue book” (or “book blue” in your case) and Inform would just treat the whole thing as a noun if I understand correctly. The suffixication might be more problematic.

2 Likes

That’s not really a problem. Commands are usually in pure form anyway. Adverb is rarely used, right?

Regarding the adjectives, that’s true with Inform. I don’t know if that’s universally true. Depends on the library, I guess.

2 Likes

I just installed inform7 yesterday, and skimmed through the documentation.

Can we just use “understand” syntax to create aliases in bahasa Indonesia for the commands?

I tried with an example file, but it gave me error.

1 Like

Maybe you should just call the objects “buku biru” “buku” “biru” instead of messing with grammar? What’s the error message?

Edit: oh, I7. Sorry. I use I6 only.

2 Likes