Announcing TWIFcomp (submissions due April 25, 2010)

TWIFcomp is a competition for tweet-sized interactive fiction. Why? Because the world needs more strangely-themed interactive fiction competitions and this one requires little time to write, play, and judge. The idea grew out of a RAIF thread a few days back and seems like just the thing to take IF into the attention span-challenged future. The basic premise: write a complete game in 140 characters. Example: 43.

Big prizes are in the offing: the first three places will take home a roll of duct tape, a package of ramen noodles, or a pair of lucky dice. Surely, you have it in your soul to crank out a mere 140 characters for a chance at fame and glory.

The complete rules are listed on my blog.

You should really read the full rules, as this whole competition business is trickier that you would think. However, in a nutshell: I must receive game submissions by 16:00 GMT, on Sunday, April 25, 2010. Voting starts as soon as the games are posted (see the same page listed above). Voting finishes at 16:00 GMT on Saturday, May 1, 2010, with results announced the next day.

• Jack

sounds great!

Update: There’s been good uptake on this proposal, and this evening the comp hit critical mass, with four entrants, some with multiple entries. It looks like I’m now obligated to make good on the four prize levels I’d proposed. Any one entering is now guaranteed of having some competition. Some of the writing is quite clever and thoughtful, and I’m looking forward to putting it on display in a couple weeks. Cheers! - Jack.