Announcing the winners of Spring Thing 2023!

Congratulations go to Drew Cook for Repeat the Ending

and 30x30 for Protocol, the two recipients of this year’s Best In Show ribbon.

Congratulations also to the rest of the entrants, some of whom have accepted custom Audience Awards that are also now hanging by their games.

All the festival games remain available for play on the Spring Thing site. Thanks to all the authors who entered games, all the prize donors who provided incentive, all the players and reviewers who enjoyed the festival.

Note that several games received quite a few votes, and the competition was tight. There are around four or five games tied for a close third place, so if your game didn’t win, there’s a good chance it came close!

39 Likes

Congrats to everyone involved! It was a real joy to be a part of this year.

16 Likes

Congrats to @30x30 and @kamineko !!!
Well deserved!!

EDIT: OMG And the RIBBONS ARE EVERYTHING!!!

17 Likes

YOOOOOO!!!

:tada: :tada: :tada:

Super happy for @kamineko and @30x30!!! Absolutely well done!! :grin:

If this were a physical venue, then I’d be the one in the audience going absolutely wild with cheering, lmao!

18 Likes

Congrats Drew and 30x30!

15 Likes

Congrats to both of you! There was a lot to like in the small slice of entries I got to play. And the ribbons are a neat extra bit that give me motivation to look at the other entries–and also have a nonspoilery idea of what they’re about!

14 Likes

Congratulations Drew Cook, it has been a long, long way. And also to 30x30, fantastic game.
Now, as usual but special, congratulations to Mathbrush, all the organizers, supporters, authors, testers, reviewers, players and all the people involved direct or indirectly in Spring Thing Festival.

• Jade.
15 Likes

Congrats to the well-deserved winners, and just-as-deserving entire field! Terrific event, thanks authors and especially @mathbrush for a silky smooth experience start to finish. What a great way to shake off the winter doldrums and launch into summer.

In retrospect, wish I had done the barest minimum research on ribbon format before I submitted some excessively wordy nominations. Usually my “5 runon sentences carrying 4 words of water” does me so well! I’ll work on conciseness for next year.

Congrats again everyone, and thanks to the review threads for continuing to make this my favorite hang of 2023 (so far). OOh, another ribbon!

14 Likes

But those are the best kinds!!!

8 Likes

Congrats to @kamineko and to all of the rest of the authors who participated this year, I had a great time reading through y’all’s games!! And a huge thank you to @mathbrush for organizing!

I’m in complete shock and awe mode, I’ll find some words that aren’t just wow or thank you later…

13 Likes

Wow, thanks/congratulations everybody!

Once Release 2 gets processed at the Archive (assuming I did things correctly), I’ll share a postmortem and some other stuff.

Searcy’s and Smythe’s schedules permitting, of course.

16 Likes

Congratulations to both Best in Show authors!

And it is marvellous to see the other ribbons that are going up. I think this is such a nice thing about Spring Thing.

Well done everybody!

11 Likes

Congratulations to all entrants, whether ribbon-bearing or not (some great Audience Awards in there, by the way), and to Brian for taking it on and organising it all at short notice. Good to know the baton of this venerable festival has passed into safe hands.

I’m only sorry I’ve been too busy to play many of the games this year, but I tested quite a few and the standard was very high. Looking forward to playing Protocol, which I haven’t had a chance to look at yet, and extremely delighted that Repeat the Ending got the recognition it deserved; I did test that one and can honestly say it’s one of the cleverest and most moving pieces of IF I’ve ever played.

Well done everyone!

14 Likes

Congratulations and a great showing from everymeowdy! It was lots of fun handing out the ribbons, and the Campfire meows picked out some of the ones I gave them to display by their games which I was happy to see.

Looking forward to the post mortems! After reviews, they’re my favourite part about competitions. It’s so cool seeing the context in which something was made, and how things did or didn’t deviate from their intentions.

9 Likes

Have all the ribbons been posted yet? Or can only authors see those?

5 Likes

They should be visible on the main play page!

5 Likes

Yay for @kamineko ! Drew worked on this for a LOOOOONG time. And y’all, it was his first game. Way to come out of the gate swinging, dude.

And hooray for a poetic horror sci-fi mashup winning. You go, @30x30 !

Edit: I think this was @30x30 's first game, too??? Is this a first, for two brand-spanking-new authors to take the gold?

14 Likes

thanks for all your help!

6 Likes

Congratulations to @kamineko and @30x30 for their Best of Show awards! Congratulations as well to all the participants in this year’s festival, and thanks to all the players and reviewers of the games!

And most of all, thanks for @mathbrush for organizing the Spring Thing this year!

10 Likes

Correct, Protocol is my first complete game and first ever entry to a competition!

9 Likes