Annotated transcripts

This year I was experimenting with annotating transcripts instead of writing reviews. They are at bubblycloud.com/ifcomp2010/

David.

Thank you for the transcript of “Under, In Erebus”, and congratulations. Not everyone did nearly as well at solving the riddle.

A revised version which makes things progressively easier to manage is available at boutell.com/~rapp/erebus.html.

I like this idea a lot. I don’t know how you produced it–parsing any line where you commented?–but I think an abbreviated version where we just show the comment before you posted and the one after would be nice. That, or a collapse function. The next/previous links are handy but it would also be cool to see your comments all at once. Maybe you could make an outline at the start? That’s a small nuisance, though.

Being able to convert transcripts to HTML might be really useful for beta testing and communication & if you have a perl script for it or something, perhaps other people could add to it and really customize it. The concept seems powerful beyond giving reviews, though it also worked well for that.

Seems like a good opportunity for some self promotion: IF Transcript Beautifier does all that.

The HTML transcripting is a feature I’ve been adding to my Glk implementation, QGlk. A stable release with this in will be a while yet, but I keep meaning to put the source code somewhere public, so development versions may be around sooner.

The annotation I don’t have proper tools for. When I was playing I typed annotations into the game marked with “aaa”, which let me add their markup with a search and replace. Then I had to do a lot of manual repositioning.

Nitku wrote a really great online IF transcript beautifier which uses the traditional

• comment goes here

Syntax for transcript comments, though I believe it’s also configurable.

This is really cool! Thanks for the transcript of Gigantomania - I think it will help a lot with future versions.

I’m impressed by how you breezed through the game. Even the more difficult conversations didn’t take that many attempts. Sorry you felt that they were “learn-by-dying lawnmowery,” though!