Alone Hint Request

I’m in the junkyard. The hook on the Jeep’s winch is giving me grief. I wanted to attach the winch’s hook to the gate to break it, so I could switch the power from the gate to the bunker, but I can’t attach the hook to anything. The walkthough suggests attaching the hook to Joe (for some reason) but I can’t do that either. Is this a bug or am I misunderstanding something?

@paulseawa see above :slight_smile:

Not a bug – some hints in ascending order of hintiness:

1. If attaching the hook to Joe doesn’t make sense to you now, that probably means you haven’t run across the reason why it might be useful to do that.

2. You’re on the right track with wanting to keep the gate open even when it’s powered off, though.

3. The hook isn’t important to the solution to this bit.

4. Have you tried looking at the gate to figure out how it locks?

5. Is there anything you’ve found that could help you prevent that from happening?

6. Have you fully explored the rest of the gas station area?

7. There are two ways that might come to mind to keep the gate open, but the one that (in my opinion) is more obvious unfortunately won’t work.

8. That is, propping open the door. So what else might work?

9. Is there a way to prevent the latch from catching?

And last two basically give the game away:

1. Do you have the duct tape?

2. TAPE GATE

2 Likes

Wow, thanks for the awesome invisaclues Mike!

Walter, hopefully that should help with unlocking the gate. But I also want to make sure you haven’t run into a missing verb or something like that. Can you provide me a transcript or maybe tell me how you are trying to hook joe and what the response is?

2 Likes

I’ve sent you a partial transcript by PM, covering this section of the game. The version of the game I have is “Release 9 / Serial number 201004 / Inform 7 build 6M62 (I6/v6.33 lib 6/12N).”