Advent Mirror Invisiclues

These hints are for Advent Mirror Release 2. Type version to see the version.

Advent Mirror
An interactive Advent calendar entry by Andrew Plotkin
Release 2 / Serial number 221204 / Inform 7 build 6M62 (I6/v6.41 lib 6/12N)
Identification number: //116BD184-28AF-4DEA-A90E-63476327215B//
Interpreter version 2.2.1 / VM 3.1.3 / Library serial number 080126
Standard Rules version 3/120430 by Graham Nelson

General hints:

• Play the web version on itch.io, which changes the game’s background color in a helpful way.
  • Try dropping things. (You might need to UNDO after you try it.)
  • Try touching things.

What do I do at the start of the game? (Windscor)

1. TAKE THE VASE.

2. Review the general hints, above.

3. DROP THE VASE.

What’s my objective?

1. Initially, your objective is to explore the area. Find all seven rooms.

2. Find all seven rooms in both modes, verso and non-verso (“recto”). This will require you to unlock and open all of the doors.

3. Your ultimate objective is to leave the Library via the open trap door. See the final question, “How do I go through the trap door in the Library?”

I can only access the Library and the Tea Room. How do I get out of here?

1. EXAMINE THE MIRROR. Remember the general hints, above.

2. TOUCH THE MIRROR.

3. ENTER THE MIRROR.

Now I can access the Library, Tea Room, and the Trophy Room (verso). How do I get out of here?

1. The iron frame in the Trophy Room looks like the iron frame in the Tea Room.

2. GET THE MIRROR in the Tea Room (verso).

3. PUT THE MIRROR ON THE FRAME in the Trophy Room (verso), and ENTER THE MIRROR.

4. Now you can access the non-verso (“recto”) Trophy Room, and from there, you can access the Closet.

How do I open the locked doors?

1. EXAMINE THE DOOR. If there are multiple doors, you might need to specify which door, e.g. EXAMINE THE OAK DOOR.

2. Some of the doors have a keyhole. You’ll have to find the key.

3. The key is in the Closet. (See the previous question to find the Closet.)

4. In the non-verso (“recto”) Closet, PUT THE MIRROR ON THE FRAME and ENTER THE MIRROR.

5. GET THE KEY in the Closet (verso).

6. With that key, you can unlock the marqueted door in the Tea Room, leading back to the Trophy Room, and the oak door in the Library, leading to the Clock Chamber.

How do I open the birch door?

1. The birch door is bolted from the other side. You’ll have to open it from the other side.

2. You can’t open the birch door until you’ve found the key. See the previous question, “How do I open the locked doors?”

3. From the Closet (verso), you can OPEN THE DOOR.

What should I do in the Clock Chamber?

1. Bring the mirror, PUT THE MIRROR IN THE FRAME and ENTER THE MIRROR.

2. From Clock Chamber (verso), you can access the Kitchen (verso), and, from there, you can access the Wine Nook (verso).

How do I escape the Wine Nook (verso)?

1. Remember the general hints, above.

2. GET THE SPHERE.

3. DROP THE SPHERE. You can leave the non-verso (“recto”) Wine Nook freely.

How do I open the corkwood door?

1. You have to do it from the Kitchen (verso). See the previous question, “How do I escape the Wine Nook (verso)?”

2. In the non-verso (“recto”) Kitchen, DROP THE SPHERE. Now you can OPEN THE DOOR.

How do I open the plywood door?

1. You have to open it from the non-verso (“recto”) Kitchen. See “What should I do in the Clock Chamber?” to get to the Kitchen and the Wine Nook.

2. Then, you’ll have to escape from the Wine Nook. See “How do I escape the Wine Nook (verso)?”

3. When you leave the recto Wine Nook, you can open the plywood door from the recto Kitchen.

How do I unlock the maple door?

1. You can’t do it until you’ve unlocked the oak door in the Library. (See “How do I open the locked doors?”)

2. You can’t do it until you’ve been to the Wine Nook. (See “What should I do in the Clock Chamber?” and “How do I escape the Wine Nook (verso)?”)

3. EXAMINE THE MAPLE DOOR. The key doesn’t fit because the keyhole is decorated with a mirror-reversed capital “R”.

4. How could you reverse it?

5. You have two different ways of reversing things. Try combining them.

6. PUT THE MIRROR ON THE FRAME. DROP THE BALL and then ENTER THE MIRROR. That will reverse the keyhole, and so you can unlock the door that way.

How do I unlock the oak door in the Clock Chamber (verso)?

1. See “How do I unlock the maple door?” above.

2. PUT THE MIRROR ON THE FRAME. DROP THE BALL and then ENTER THE MIRROR. That will reverse the keyhole, and so you can unlock the door that way.

How do I go through the trap door in the Library?

1. First, make sure you’ve unlocked all of the doors in both versions of all seven rooms. (See questions above for details.)

2. You might think there’s something up with the clock due to some ambient text, but I think that’s a red herring.

3. Explore both versions of the Library.

4. Try dropping the ball in the Library repeatedly.

5. The Library (verso) has plush carpet. Dropping things here doesn’t break them.

6. DROP THE MIRROR.

7. GO DOWN.

5 Likes