Adv3lite first game/test thingy!

I really like tads3!

I am writing a little test game now (with @inventor200’s extensive help). It is currently extemely barebones and not actually a game (just experimenting) but it delights me how much I can do with the language with relatively little writing (tho a lot of understanding of object oriented programming which I don’t 100% have yet).

I never wrapped my head around Inform 7, it frustrates me and makes my head hurt. So this is already more progress on a parser than I’ve ever made in Inform.

Please enjoy my silly little transcript.

test.txt (1.8 KB)

12 Likes

Welcome to TADS!! I love seeing newcomers, because I love using it so much myself :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

I don’t hide that the results of your probing into TADS3 is very funny.

the key in your different results in TADS and Inform 7/10 seems to confirm my analysis, that is the former is more amenable to people with a coding background and the latter is more amenable to people with very little or no coding background, but is an assertion based on your “lot, but no 100% understanding of OOP”, whose imply a valid, even good, coding background, so I can be in mistake…

Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.

3 Likes

You’re correct, I do have a coding background! Mostly self-taught, though I’m getting training in Java now and that’s helped me understand TADS3 immensely.

4 Likes

Another relative newcomer to TADS 3 is so awesome to see, welcome! Honestly, TADS 3 is extremely underrated, and it deserves more people using it. Maybe one day we’ll be able to fully resurrect it and keep it going like Inform 6.

6 Likes

be careful that Java use standard CamelCase and TADS3 a variant camelCase :wink:

Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.

1 Like

Honestly the CamelCase is throwing me off in general, heh. Javascript and Python use camelCase for their standardized names :sweat_smile:

I’m not sure what you all mean by CamelCase vs camelCase… I thought it was just a convention to use an initial cap for classes (and maybe macros) and none for methods and objects…

3 Likes

@pieartsy @Piergiorgio_d_errico I’m pretty sure TADS, Java, Python, and JS all have identical naming conventions? You use CamelCase for types, classes, that sort of thing, and camelCase for variable names (and object names in TADS since those are just variables holding objects) and function names.

2 Likes

Oh, I double checked and I think you’re right! I just forgot since I don’t use classes in JS or Python as much as Java needs them lol.

1 Like

ok seems that was a bit unclear…

the standard CamelCase is ThisIsAnExample. all words with capitalised initials.

TADS3’s unusual camelCase is thisIsAnExample, the first word is NOT capitalised.

people used to standard CamelCases sometimes or often write, for example, RoomBeforeAction instead of roomBeforeAction, with obvious results.

Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.

2 Likes

TADS Jam (comp) 2023 starts at the end of the year. Maybe we can have a big turnout and keep the TADS legacy moving. I have several game seeds in the works. I need to settle on one a get to work.

5 Likes

TADS camelCase isn’t unusual though, all other camel case languages use it, and for the exact same things too. Likewise, TADS uses CamelCase in the same place other languages do too

3 Likes

I would love this!! Maybe I can get somethin together. I like the idea of us all revving it up!!

5 Likes

I think Python has different conventions. I remember my coding environment for Python constantly yelling at me for using Java conventions. :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

A great thing about the TADS Winter Jam is that secrecy about in works-in-progress is not required. Authors are free to solicit for help here and describe problems they’re running into before submitting. The goal is to keep TADS truckin’.

5 Likes

I would happily contribute to a TADS jam if I can come up with another idea… I feel like my creativity’s pretty dry right now after wringing it for four years on my upcoming IFComp game…

4 Likes

I would really love to join the fight to keep TADS alive too! Is there a website or something to learn more? The only hitch is I only really have one game idea right now, the one I’m working on, and it’s far too big. Maybe I could condense some gameplay mechanic ideas I have into a shorter game for a comp.

4 Likes

My bad, I misremembered. Yeah, python uses CamelCase for classes and snake_case for variables and functions.

1 Like

Welcome, and awesome to see more folks like you and @alexispurslane gravitating to T3. I’m starting not to feel like ‘the new guy’ anymore! There is def something to this, I think:

At least, that resonates for me.

Let me just say, I will be working hard to inject the word Hoobidy into my everyday life now. It is my new obsession.

2 Likes