Add .pdf or Document to Twine Game

If you are requesting technical assistance with Twine, please specify:
Twine Version: 2.3.5
Story Format: Harlowe 3.1.0

So I’ve got a document I want to put into my game, but I’d specifically like to put it in page by page, so that it shows up as it would appear on paper. Like what you’d see in a preview before you print the thing out, basically. The formatting is important enough to the story immersion that that’s how I’d like it to appear.

I’ve seen others say you can use a hyperlink to have downloadable documents in your story, like if you link to Google Drive, but I tried that and I just get a “Document Not Found” error, telling me the document may have been moved or deleted…? The only thing I can think to do from here is to screenshot each page of the document and embed each picture in the game? It’s 14 pages, so it wouldn’t take that long, but it doesn’t seem like the best way to do this. Am I missing something in my limited programming knowledge?

Thanks in advance.

External hyperlinks should work fine. The Corsham Witch Trial, for example, does exactly the thing you want to do with Google Drive. What markup are you using for the link?

Although honestly it sounds just as likely, if not more likely, that the issue here is on the GDrive end—have you checked the file sharing permissions?

Are you sure you have made the file on Google Drive sharable with everyone, because if you don’t then you will see an access or file not found related error when you try to access the file without login in to Google.

note: Google Drive is not a general file hosting service, so you may want to read Google Drives Terms of Service regarding its restrictions on making a file or folder accessible to everyone. You may also want to read Shared drive limits in Google Drive to learn about some of the downloading restrictions.

In regard to both replies: The document in question has been set so that “Anyone with the link can view” the document. Is there a specific syntax for the link I need to use? I read somewhere you can supposedly just use the address in a link like a normal passage title, but when I tried that, the text came up red and underlined and when I hovered the mouse over it, it showed a prohibition symbol (circle with the slash through), and I can’t click the link.

Am I doing something wrong, or is this some issue on Google’s end?

“Like a normal passage title” as in [[Link text->http://urlhere.com]]? No, I don’t think that works. You can use straight HTML, or there’s (link:"Link text")[(open-url: "http://urlhere.com")]. Here’s the Harlowe documentation for it.