A simple parser

Hi, I am new here. I am interested in developing a simple text adventure system as a programming project. The most important part of the program would be the parser. Could someone point me in the right direction as to where I can get an example and a simple explanation on how to implement a parser. The programming language is not important. Even pseudo code would be fine as long as it details how I would implement it. Google does not find any examples, just definitions for parser. Even a 2 token verb noun parser example is helpful if you know how. My programming constructs are very simple, so I am looking for simple explanations. As a side note, I am trying to write this in VB.NET.

Thank you!

Here is an excellent explanation of writing an IF parser. You don’t have to get as complex as he does but the principles are sound:

delicious.com/redirect?url=http% … e%3Dsource

Otherwise I would recommend two things; first, looking at mud engines (search on Sourceforge, Github, BitBucket, Google Code, Mudbytes code repository, etc.). Mud parsers usually are less complex than IF parsers and you might even find a mud written in vb.net. Second, search the IF Archive (and those other code repositories too) for stand-alone text adventures (i.e. those not written in Inform, Tads, etc.). There might be some with source there.

Example: “Aunts and Butlers” is written entirely in Javascript, so I’m sure it has its own parser, for which the source code is completely viewable.

Ok, I’ll look further into this. The first link to the newsgroup looks a little complex, but I will try to figure it out. I will also look at the javascript source, thanks.