A Galactic Experience

In 2009 I asked on rec.games.int-fiction if anyone knew about an old scifi game I vaguely remembered (this post) playing on a Zenith Z89 in the early 80’s, but no one could come up with a correct answer. I have spent way too much time thinking about what game that could have been, but since not even anyone in that group knew I did not expect to ever find it. In 2014 in desperation I asked on reddit, not really expecting anyone there to figure it out. But to my surprise today I saw that I had an old unread message. Someone contacted me 3 years ago to answer that last call for help. That led me to the name of the game A Galactic Experience and what little is written about it online.

The scanned manual can be found here: sebhc.lesbird.com/documentation.html#GAMES It promises a “massive” adventure of 250 locations, a 300 words vocabulary.

I also saw this page where a Mark Garlanger is asking for anyone that knows where to find the publishers of this game to contact him, because he wants permission to post that game (and the two other games from the same publisher, A Remarkable Experience, and A Physical Experience). So if anyone happens to know where to find Hughes Hoyle or whomever now may own the rights to those games please contact him. :slight_smile:

That is pretty much everything I have been able to find. Anyone else knows something more?

I do not even have a copy of this game on floppy, and even if I had it my dad’s old Zenith Z89 is not fully functional, so would have to figure out how to play in an emulator anyway. It would be fun just to try. Pretty sure I would never manage to play for very long in a very oldschool game like.

0 Likes

If you can find the game, you may be able to run it on something like a Z80 retro computer such as an RC2014 found at: https://rc2014.co.uk/. It can run CP/M which was one of the operating systems the Heath/Zenith Z89 supported. An emulator is also probably available. I remember the Heath computers. I built many of the kits but not any of their computers.

Don’t give up.

0 Likes

Thanks! That retro computer looks amazing, but I know if I had one it would not be used anyway (something like that but IBM PC XT though…). An emulator is as far as I would go and there are several for the Z89/H89.

0 Likes