A Few of Your Favorite Things

I much prefer Final Fantasy 8 to Final Fantasy 7. That’s probably considered heretical in many circles.

3 Likes

I cut my teeth on Ultima V. That game blew my mind with the sense of freedom and scope. It had a conversation parser too! I was pretty young, but some of the places and things I discovered in that game are still burned into my mind to this day. I think I still have the cloth map from that game.

2 Likes

@pinkunz

Ha! Thanks for taking the heat off me, man. :wink:

2 Likes

And dipping your pizza in ketchup is not only acceptable but the superior method for enjoying it properly.

(That should do it.)

5 Likes

Pinkunz, I agree on FF VIII, was a major JRPG whose has the misfortune of following a true legend. Like the younger brother of a great actor, a very good one, even more handsome and with an excellent acting (out of methaphor: more realistic char graphics and a solid narration and character build) but always compared with and overshadowed with the greatness of his older brother, I daresay.

Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.

4 Likes

1.) IF game: A Mind Forever Voyaging
2.) Non-IF game: Cogmind
3.) Book: G.K. Chesterton: The Man Who Was Thursday
4.) Movie: Twin Peaks: The Return (yeah, that counts as an 18-hour movie, don’t try and convince me otherwise ;))
5.) Band: The Beatles

7 Likes

Going back to the title of the post:

And then this version:

Wynton Marsalis takes Coltrane’s version and expands upon it:

4 Likes

Well since you posted that I gotta post this:

4 Likes

Oh really… how about this:

I shaved my beard because of that guy. And it hurt.

3 Likes

I found this thread and decided to give it a go. Warning: expect the unexpected.

1. Favorite IF game: Hard to say. My exposure is scant, and with having only COG as my background, I would say: Bee (Emily Short)/Creme de la Creme(Hannah P S).

2. Favorite Non-IF game: Mega Man X (1) (why, Noah, why?)

3. Favorite book: Fiction: A Series of Unfortunate Events, Nonfiction: Guests of the Ayatollah

4. Favorite movie: Night at the Museum, Big Hero 6

5. Favorite band/composer: Owl City/Taylor Swift (?)

Go ahead and ask me further questions!

11 Likes

Neat idea! (Also, nice to meet you all!)

1. Parser: Galatea still has a special place in my heart; it was one of the works that drew me into the world of IF so many years ago. I’ve only played a handful of parser games in the past few years, so I’m looking forward to discovering new ones now that I’m finally immersed in the community!
    Choice-based: Probably SLAMMED! I really enjoyed learning about wrestling, which I previously knew nothing about, and I found the story fun and engaging.

2. Such a tough question – there are too many amazing video games and board games out there! I think I’ll have to say Sky: Children of the Light, in part because I love its themes and concept but mainly because it’s where I met my wonderful fiancé.

3. I, Robot. I read it as a teen and every aspect of it resonated with me so deeply. Susan Calvin was my biggest role model!

4. English: Twelve Angry Men (1957). It has such an important message and is just a joy to watch.
    French: Le dîner de cons. A classic comedy with great acting.
    (I also love musicals!)

5. I honestly don’t think I can answer this one! I listen to a bit of everything and don’t follow any one artist particularly closely.

It was nice reading everyone else’s lists – many of the titles are new to me, and I’m curious to check some of them out in the future. It’s cool to see some titles I recognize and love, too!
(@biohazardblade I was surprised to see .flow mentioned! I had a lot of fun with all those creepy RPG Maker games back in the day :laughing:)

13 Likes

1.) IF game: Photopia
2.) Non-IF game: King of Dragon Pass
3.) Book: Hyperion
4.) Movie: Blade Runner
5.) Band: ZZ Top

12 Likes

Just realized I answered this post a few times, but never answered the original prompt.

So here goes:

1.) I know this one is a bit strange, but my favorite IF game is Aisle. It really captures a tiny snapshot of what we all wish parser games could be, before being smushed under utterly impossible combinatorial explosion and implementation overload. For just a single instance in time, the game embraces a truly mind-bogglingly broad range of freedom for the player.

2.) Ooofff… hard. Ummm, my answer may change with time, but I really liked the Final Fantasy series, sincerely. Nobuo Uematsu sparked my love for music and he remains my favorite single composer. I also remember countless hours watching, crosslegged on the floor, my older cousins playing through older SNES final fantasy titles and being hopelessly absorbed into the unfolding story. If I had to pick my favorite in the series, it’d be FF8 and FF9; toss a coin.

3.) I’m going to go in on “formative” again. The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury blew my 8 year old mind, in several different ways. I have since read books I could argue as “better,” but none have had as much individual impact.

4.) Keeping the same theme, Jurassic Park. It made a huge impression on me. It is the first film I saw in theaters (my Mom was a little uncomfortable with how violent it turned out being, but spilled milk and all) and it fueled my interest in paleontology, and then geology, as well as Michael Crichton as an author and from there many many different books. I actually got in trouble in 2nd grade for “pretending” to read Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton. The teacher assumed any 2nd grader toting around that book was putting on airs, so to speak. Later that week my teacher came to deeply regret taking the book off me. In front of everyone, the superintendent picked random pages and asked me questions about the content. It became painfully obvious when I answered the questions and then continued discussing that specific element until he cut me off each time that the teacher had made an error. The superintendent handed the book back to me right there and asked if my parents and I could step out so he could speak to my teacher alone. I never had a problem on that front again.

5.) Oops, sorta already answered this one. Nobuo Uetmatsu was an early hero of mine. Refreshingly, in the intervening decades he hasn’t been revealed to be a murderer or rapist or some other kind of monster (yet). Crossing my fingers he makes it to the grave before something like that happens. (Used to unironically like Bill Cosby as a kid, for example.)

13 Likes

My favorites change all the time, but I’ll try.

1. IF game: The Kingdom of Loathing. It’s pretty fun. And yes, I think it’s an IF.
  2. Non-IF game: Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective. Wow. Some of the puzzles are very very annoying, but the story, the characters and the visuals are just so awesome.
  3. Book: The Brothers Lionheart by Astrid Lindgren. I read it as a kid, so I don’t remember much, but some scenes have stuck to my mind and influenced my taste in fiction quite a lot. It’s a sad and dark story for children.
  4. Movie: The Secret of NIMH. I don’t watch that many movies.
  5. Band: Dog Fashion Disco. I just love them.
6 Likes

That’s funny, I was going to list Ghost Trick as my favorite IF game! Everyone draws the line between IF and not-IF in a different place, I guess.

4 Likes

So much yes!

Deep and sad themes combined with a ten-year-old’s happy dreamworld of adventure. The ending echoing the beginning. The contrast between Cherry Valley and Thorn Rose Valley.

Love it.

My personal favourite children’s book is Ronja the Robber’s Daughter by Astrid Lindgren.

2 Likes