A Colder Light - UI system feedback

Just saw this. No objection at all; please do. For some reason my own site got taken down due to an IP clash with the Bulgarian Embassy and I can’t face trying to work out how to fix it.

cheers
jon

I just posted the file (as “A Colder Light.zip”) to the IF Archive web form.

Should the title in IFDB be changed from “The” to “A”?

I don’t know any more, so I’m happy to go with whatever Dan went with.

cheers
jon

When the author doesn’t know the title of the game anymore, it’s baaaaad!

BTW, joningold, I send you a PM about Mulldoon a while ago. You don’t have to reply, but it would make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside if you would read it - the forum tells me you haven’t spotted it yet. :wink: Maybe try >SEARCH PM INBOX?

The game is drawn from Nordic influences, and in particular my own knowledge of Finland and Finnish culture, and in Finnish they don’t differentiate between definite and indefinite articles. (In fact, they don’t have articles.) So that’s my excuse.

jon

Full marks for style.

Colder Light is up on the archive now, in the Glulx directory (I guess it is a Glulx game, even if it isn’t in a gblorb file?)

ifarchive.org/if-archive/gam … _Light.zip

I’ve also updated IFDB to point to it, but I’m guessing it will take a day or two to replicate.

Ah, so THAT’s why it took so long to sort - people were scratching their heads trying to figure out where to put it!

I wanted to extract the actual Glulx file from the distribution before including it in the Archive - it’s now in the zip as a .ulx file (which seems to work on normal Glulx interpreters).

I have no idea how you did it, and I would very much appreciate a PM with the details if you could, because I SO wanted to do that myself! I completely lacked the know-how, though!

Bumping a very old thread.

Because I just wanted to share - I took a look at the .ulx file (I’ve since found out how to do it, BTW), and saw the interface (stripped down of all the nice graphics)… and I imagined it in a mobile device, tapping away…

Jon Ingold was way ahead of his time when he came up with this. I’ve berated this interface long and hard, as a good example of why the parser is so much better… but if you put this in a mobile-OS context, with no keyboard and just screen-tapping…

The man has vision.

EDIT - This was worth bumping (for a given value of “worth”) because it has everything to do with the .ulx version, and not the web version. In the .ulx version, I can use the iFrotz interpreter, turn off the keyboard, and enjoy proper screen formatting. In a small device, like an iPod Touch, this isn’t a bonus - it’s a necessity. With very rare exceptions, interpreter-play is way more accessible than browser-play, I’ve found.