Sidekick review

Sidekick Review. Author : Charles Moore.

It’s the Wild West and Buck Swagger is the man of the hour. His heroic deeds are known far and wide. You, however, are his long-suffering sidekick and know all too well that his feats are actually yours and that Buck is, in reality, a vain fool with great teeth and good press.
Classic Western Setting: The setting is well-defined and immersive, with details like the station platform, sweaty mayor, and telegram instantly evoking the atmosphere of the Wild West.
Characters: The characters, such as the brave (but actually cowardly) sheriff, Buck Swagger, and the worried mayor, are stereotypical but well-characterized and contribute to a fun and lighthearted atmosphere.
Environment Interaction: I felt like I was really in a Wild West town, and this is a positive element that encourages exploration and player curiosity.
Clear and Intuitive Controls: Basic commands like “LOOK,” “GO,” and “TALK” are easy to understand and use, making gameplay fluid.
Humor: The idea of a cowardly sheriff who needs to be saved by his sidekick is certainly funny and promises a light-hearted and ironic adventure.
Choice: Although not explicitly mentioned in the excerpt, the fact that the player must make decisions suggests that there will be a degree of interactivity and the ability to influence the story’s outcome.
Areas for Improvement: Deeper Location Descriptions, more detailed descriptions of locations would enhance the immersive experience.
Concise Descriptions: Some descriptions could be a bit too detailed and repetitive. For example, the description of the mayor could be condensed without losing its effectiveness.
Character Depth: While the characters are well-defined in their roles, they could be enriched with more complex psychological nuances. Risk of Linearity: If the adventure simply follows a predetermined plot without offering the player many choices, it could become too linear and predictable.
Conclusion: “Sidekick” promises to be a fun and light-hearted adventure set in a classic Western scenario. The humor and stereotypical characters are likely to appeal to players seeking a relaxing experience. However, to stand out from other similar adventures, the game could benefit from greater depth in the characters, more meaningful choices, and more concise writing.
Overall, I enjoyed it very much.

7 Likes