From IF to ARG

I’m quite a fan of Alternate Reality Games and Unfiction (which reminds me to officially coin the phrase “Interactive Unfiction” :smiley: ), and it does feel to me that in some ways they could be seen as one of the many evolutions of IF. Bear with me here…

Reflecting on the essence of IF games, one of the most captivating aspects is how they can often extend beyond the confines of the computer screen. Remember those moments when you were stuck on a particularly tricky puzzle in “Zork” or “The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy”? The game didn’t just pause when you stepped away; it lingered in your mind as you went about your day. You’d find yourself pondering solutions during lunch breaks or in the car driving to work.

This phenomenon of the game seeping into your real life is a hallmark of both IF and ARGs. In interactive fiction, the player’s engagement often transcends the screen. You aren’t just clicking or typing commands; you’re actively participating and living the narrative, contemplating its challenges and complexities in those interstitial moments of your daily routine. This off-screen engagement feels, to me anyway, very similar to the all-encompassing nature of ARGs.

ARGs take this concept and amplify it, not just inviting you to think about them when you’re away from your computer; but almost requiring it. The very structure of an ARG is built around the integration of the game into the fabric of your reality. Clues might be hidden in websites, phone calls, emails, or even real-world locations. The boundaries between game and life are intentionally blurred, creating an experience where the narrative weaves seamlessly into the player’s real-world activities.

Moreover, the research aspect that can be a fun side effect of playing IF is a core mechanic of ARGs. Players are encouraged to dive deep into external resources, drawing on a wide range of knowledge and skills to progress. This can mean anything from deciphering cryptic messages and codes to understanding obscure historical references or scientific principles. In this way, ARGs not only engage the player’s intellect but also their curiosity and willingness to learn.

The immersive nature of ARGs also taps into a broader cultural shift towards experiential entertainment. As technology advances and our lives become increasingly interconnected, the appeal of experiences that transcend traditional media boundaries grows. ARGs offer a taste of this future, where the narrative is not confined to a book, a screen, or a stage, but is woven into the very fabric of our daily existence.

In many ways, ARGs can be seen as the natural evolution of interactive fiction. They take the core elements that made IF so compelling—the deep engagement, the mental challenge, the narrative immersion—and expand them into a multi-dimensional, real-world context. They invite players not just to solve puzzles, but to live the story, to become part of a narrative that is as expansive and unpredictable as life itself.

3 Likes

Interesting. Can you give some examples of ARGs?

2 Likes

I’ve watched Night Mind and heard the term “unfiction” - which is basically as a fictional story that masquerades as not being a story. So instead of a novel printed in a book, the narrative might be told via videos on a YouTube channel like lonelygirl15 or Marble Hornets. It’s kind of the non-movie version of found-footage, or an ARG that’s non-interactive - explorable perhaps, but non interactive. “Alternate Reality Fiction” (but ARF is a bad acronym.)

Excalibur might be the closest example of Unfiction in the IF genre- it’s presented as a wiki site that’s explorable and there’s no narration or guidance, so it seems to exist in a real place even though the entire website and story are fictional. It’s explorable but not directly interactive.

Not sure if I buy into the term “interactive unfiction”- it’s fine but seems a bit of a misnomer since unfiction is the non interactive version of an ARG. But I’ve been wrong before and people always say NO THAT’S NOT WHAT I MEANT AT ALL STOP QUESTIONING HANON. so … yeah.

3 Likes

Speaking of Night Mind and such, there’s a really good article that gives the best description, definition and examples I’ve seen. @jkj_yuio This has some examples in as well, but the most recent that spring to mind for me are Catastrophe Crow 64 and Valle Verde.

1 Like

I think I don’t understand Unfiction. Is “The Blair Witch Project” unfiction? Or ARG?

I guess what puzzles me is that “Unfiction” sounds like “opposite of fiction” while it seems to be actually a special kind of fiction.

3 Likes

There’s a bit of a history to the term itself, there’s a video about it by the content creator Night Mind.

Loosely it’s an umbrella term for something that operates and pretends as though it’s real, a good example if you’ve got 12mins to spare is to watch Adam Butcher’s “What happened to Catastrophe Crow 64” video on YouTube.

Fiction is entirely… Fictitious(!) There’s no pretense, whereas Unfiction covers anything that operates as real. Some, but not all, analog horror series are Unfiction and almost all ARG’s are Unfiction.

Adam

2 Likes

Actually, yes, that’s also a fairly good definition. Add “that operates as though it’s a real event” and you’ve got it.

Adam

2 Likes

I understand the unusual concept, but I think I’m the exception, being the eccentric guy whose prefer reading TTRPG setting/background/adventure modules than reading actual fiction books…

Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.

3 Likes

I’m trying to think of other ways to define it, because I remember I was in the same place at one point ie “but, that’s just fiction then”

One way would be this. Let’s say there’s a book, a story about a fictional event in history, obviously within the world of the story it’s behaving as though it’s real but if you phoned the author they would happily agree that it’s fiction.

If you phoned the creator of an Unfiction project they would (assuming they were operating in character) be absolutely steadfast that it’s a true story.

Adam

2 Likes

TL;DR: The Blair Witch Project is considered a proto-example of the “unfiction” genre.

The Blair Witch Project is known as a “found footage” movie - meaning the actual filming of events is diegetic - the characters in the movie are acknowledging they are holding cameras and recording the events that are happening. When the movie was released, they had the actors (who used their real names) agree to go socially silent for a period of time to support the concept that the movie was filmed by three real people who are now missing. There were websites about the Blair Witch “incident” presenting it as real and when the film premiered at Sundance, the creators even plastered some “missing” posters of the cast in the streets around the theater to support the “unfiction”

The “found footage” genre of movies - most invariably horror movies where this works the best like REC and Cloverfield and Paranormal Activity are all presented somehow as edited or lightly-edited “evidence tapes” the audience is reviewing in the “unfiction” that the events were real. So the “found-footage” film genre could be considered within the umbrella of Unfiction.

Cloverfield and many of these types of movies often have in-world websites that might offer “extra footage” not seen in the movie that maintain the Unfiction “kayfabe” that the events are real along the lines of Blair Witch which basically pioneered the “unfiction” type of viral marketing with surrounding lore that many films use today.

Cloverfield specifically ran an extensive ARG (alternate reality game) based on the lore of the film that was optional.

An ARG often uses realistic websites, videos, phone numbers people can dial in real life to hear a recorded message (or possibly even speak to a live actor) to simulate participants “researching” events. Often it will require some form of puzzling, such as actually hacking or viewing the HTML of websites for secret messages, figuring out codes and passwords to gain access to websites, and in some cases creators and cast might interact with the chat/commentors/participants and give certain people extra information or clues or send them physical artifacts. They may place a geocache of clues and documents in the real world that someone will have to physically find and share with the participants. There are usually live game-masters overseeing things and timing releases of information so ARGs tend run for a period of time then end once the game is “solved” or over. However, some ARGs run for years, or might be ongoing with periods of inactivity and then a lore-dump which re-involves the participants months later - the conceit is the characters live real lives and aren’t always available. You might think of an ARG as LARPing, but online instead of face-to-face.

So in short:

• Unfiction: is kind of like a diegetic story presented through websites or found footage videos, or forum postings by "real"people or in some format that presents the plot as happening “real life” even though it is entirely fictional. In most cases these are standalone and aren’t being run by a Gamemaster in real time and won’t change, though Unfiction series might be presented over time, such as videos being published to a YouTube channel. There may be some interaction or puzzle solving events, such as chatting on a message board with in-story characters, or deciphering a url that only appears in one frame of a video to find another video, but the story is either already set or doesn’t majorly change based on the audience’s interactions.
  • ARGs are actual Unfiction games happening in real time. They are managed live by GameMasters/Puppetmasters who might be creators or the cast of the story. The participants might hit a wall and have to actually do things to make the story progress, like having enough people visit a website to unlock it, or hacking into an in-game corporation’s website to unlock the next bit of plot. ARGs usually end - the material may still exist to be reviewed, but if you’re not interacting with them when they run, you won’t get as much out of the experience after the fact.

Unfiction examples:

lonelygirl15 was a scripted show, but they had to have the lead character start a vlog and run it normally for a while to establish reality before weird stuff started to happen.

Adult Swim’s This House Has People in It is a creepy government surveillance of an uncanny event.

Marble Hornets made a series based on the Slenderman mythos.

5 Likes

Great overview :slightly_smiling_face::+1: