Z-Machine 1.0 Update

I’m not entirely certain exactly where you’re running into a problem here, but:

The actual file size is allowed to be longer than the maximum length shown in 1.1.4. While verifying, you should only
check up to the end of the file size shown in the header, which in this case is 261900 bytes, less than the maximum size of 256k.

This works on my copy of Beyond Zork release 49, at any rate

Ah, thanks. I always understood that “length of a story file” meant the file itself instead of the header contents.

Sorry, I had indeed forgotten about the [0] in the remarks. I think I originally thought this to be only a suggestion/draft since in borderzone, the game I had been testing with, this would cause a [0]-line to be written every three seconds (which nonetheless works) and would break input files as soon as the author changes the timeout value. Both are however probably completely irrelevant in reality, so you can forget about this and I’ll switch to using [0] instead.

I’ve updated inform-fiction.org/zmachine/stan … int0-1997/ .)

I’ve also updated some of the wording on that page, and added a link to the Babel site.

(eu, I guess you’ll have to fetch this index.html page back and stuff it into your infidel setup – if you’re still using infidel as a site generator. But hold off until Marvin gets the 1.1 spec out.)

Got it. (I still use Infidel.) I notice that my to-do list for the site hasn’t been chipped at in a while. This is a good reminder that I need to keep on top of such things.

When Zarf originally wrote the Praxix test suite he included some tests for using +/-16 in @art_shift and @log_shift. What do you think about specifying that now?

And I guess no one here has access to update gnelson.demon.co.uk/zspec/?

I’ve found some errors that still exist in the 1.0 Standard, and made some (slightly messy) notes. I’m still looking for more before I update the html documents, but I thought I’d share the notes I made, and see if anyone has any comments.

The file is available at http://www.frobnitz.co.uk/zmachine/problems%20with%201.0%20spec.txt

Sorry for the messiness of the notes.

So, I’ve made some further edits to the Z-Machine 1.0 Standard, and uploaded it to http://www.frobnitz.co.uk/zmachine/1.0/

The sections that have changed are marked on the index page with ‘(updated)’, and the actual changed text is marked, as before, in red for deletions and green for additions.

There aren’t a whole lot of changes, most of them are just clarifications, or fixes to spelling. The major changes tend to be where the spec inaccurately specified z6 behaviour.

I’ll leave this up there for a few days, and if there are no objections to it, I’ll clean it up, hand it over to be uploaded to the main z-machine standard, and start integrating the changes into the 1.1 spec.

Looks okay to me.

Many games don’t work well if a screen height of 255 is set, including I believe Bureaucracy, Sherlock, Nord and Bert, Christminster, Theatre.

Does any interpreter actually set 255? This perhaps should be removed from the spec.