You can see your former self here.

So in this project I’m working for, I have a number of different player characters, different perspectives, all that good stuff.

Here’s a minimal example that reproduces the issue I’m getting:

[code]
When play begins: now the player is lady.

World is a room. Down from the World is a Tortoise.

Lady is a woman in World.[/code]

I must be using those features incorrectly. For one thing, the player’s “character” does not move with the character. Or is it that “your former self” is the default character that does not have a name? That would make more sense. How do I get rid of this … featureless gender neutral semi-autonomous entity?

You can specify who the player is by just saying “The Lady is a woman. The player is the Lady.”

If you don’t specify the player in that way, Inform will make a character (the famous ageless faceless gender-neutral culturally-ambiguous adventurer person) for the player. (Try just compiling “The World is a room.” all by itself.) So what’s happening is Inform is creating a character for the player to be, then carrying out the “when play begins” rule and switching the player from the generic character to the Lady, and so you see the generic character standing there. Using the above syntax instead of a “when play begins” rule will get rid of the problem.

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks. :slight_smile:

That is a creepy dang message. Reminds me of genociding @ while polymorphed in Nethack.